how to get best price?

Some TA will give obc on part of their commission but fares are the same whether cruise line or TA.

BBM

This has been my experience as well, but in addition, our TA checks the fares on a daily basis (or her partner does), and she submits for fare reductions on our behalf. It's always nice to see credits appear!

If you are using a TA and not getting a discount... find a TA who will discount and keep looking. Why else would you use a TA unless you are very new to cruising and need a lot of hand holding, which Im not looking for.

I get a substantial discount on my group cruises I join up and book.

BBM

This has been my experience as well, but in addition, our TA checks the fares on a daily basis (or her partner does), and she submits for fare reductions on our behalf. It's always nice to see credits appear!

If only the TA would check for fare reductions. I do that and when successful have to wait on her to send in the ES.

Have gotten frustrated from the waits at times and for our next cruise decided to give up the obc and used a pvp recommended to us.

If only the TA would check for fare reductions. I do that and when successful have to wait on her to send in the ES.

Have gotten frustrated from the waits at times and for our next cruise decided to give up the obc and used a pvp recommended to us.

Me too. I booked my first cruise with a TA and she complained that her commission was going to go down if I got a price reduction! :eek: I'm going on my second cruise later this year and I booked through the Carnival website. I check for price reductions on my own, I would never put trust in someone else to do it for me.

Is it best to book with the cruise line directly or have you found cheaper prices elsewhere (ie: Expedia, Travel Agent, ect.)

The on line travel sites are good for looking for discounts on hotels and car rentals, but not much else in my opinion. When it comes to cruise prices or air fare, I can find better prices by going directly to the source, such as a specific cruise line or airline. You may run across a travel agent that will have a bottle of wine delivered to your cabin, or arrange for some OBC for you (by giving up part of his/her commision), but the actual price you pay for the cruise will still be the same. It all depends on how important that little "gift" is to you. I have a great PVP that I can call whenever I have a question or concern, but I like being my own travel agent. It puts me (and my DW) in control of all of the decision making.:)

As stated, a TA cannot reduce prices, but may give OBC or other parks from his/her commission (such as wine, spa credits, prepaid gratuities, etc.). In addition, the large agencies book blocks of cabins from the cruiselines when new itineraries are released; they often receive these at a discounted rate, group benefits of free fares per block, or with other incentives from the cruiseline which they pass along to the consumer. They are then able to sell these cabins to you at a rate usually lower than the current published rate. If you are not getting any of these benefits, you need to find another TA.

We never book directly with the cruise lines, receiving great benefits from our agency. As far as "controlling" our booking, we've never had any difficulty getting price drops, a specific cabin, etc.,and if there happen to be no drops for our sailing, we're still ahead of the game than if we had booked direct.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been using the same TA for probably ten years, and we have found that the ability of the TA to get real deals for us has fallen greatly over this time.

In the beginning, she ALWAYS could get us a better rate than we could find elsewhere, or upgrades, or etc. And, more than once, she called us 4-6 weeks out and had found a better rate.

In recent years, all we get is the same rate that is available on the Carnival website. And she hasn't found us a late discount in years.

I am wondering just what I get from having this TA. Does anybody have any thing GOOD to say about working with TA's? Or would we be just as well off with a PVP?

Archived