turkey v euro

Hi will I be ok in Turkey with euros or will I have to get the Turkish lira

Everyone seemed to be happy with either euros or US dollars - at least in shops, tipping guides, etc. You will need lira for taxis and restaurants. Credit cards are good too.

Back in 2009 when I was there, vendors preferred Euros over dollars (dollars still accepted at some places). Now with the Euro depreciating they may prefer dollars ;) If you paid with Euros they will give you change on Turkish Lira. You can exchange some on the ship when you get there, if you prefer.

I used Euros during our port day in Kusadasi. They were accepted even by street vnedors at Ephesus. But we did pay our privatre tour guide in UDS at their request.

Have a great cruise.

I loved Turkey and planning my next cruise from Istanbul.

In my limited experience, Euros seemed to work pretty much everywhere. Even the vendors yelling at you from their shacks called out prices in euros. We DID pay our private excursion company in dollars, but they were quite clear about that back when we made our reservations. They also told us that we would be okay onshore with either euros or dollars.

NO ONE ever asked for Lira or suggested Lira. When even shopped at a local grocery story in Izmir, and their registers were prepared to deal with lira, dollars & euros.

You'll need lire for buses, trams, ferries. And mebbe for admissions to govt sites, since they don't all accept cards. Thats of concern particularly in Istanbul, not Kusadasi.

Most vendors accept euros (much more so than USD), and as other posts some quote prices in euros as well as lire.

When you're bartering with a stallholder or taxi-driver, it doesn't matter which currency. But where prices are fixed - bars, restaurants, large shops - you'll get better value with lire since the exchange rates they give will be poor - esp if prices are only quoted in lire.

So unless you've just got a day-visit to Izmir or Kusadasi, best get yourself at least some lire.

JB :)

We were in Istanbul a couple of weeks ago and did get Lira from an ATM because we were spending more than one day in Turkey. You definitely get a better rate of exchange with Turkish Lira but you can use Euro's (except for the places previously mentioned). Istanbul is a lovely, modern city -- cleaner than most large cities in the world. There are ATMs everywhere so it's easy to pick up some Lira for shopping, etc.

Know that you're "joking", but I was just in Istanbul and it's much more cosmopolitan than parts of Philidelphia! :D

We chew up and spit out "cosmopolitan" and whatever is left over, we export it to South Jersey.;)

We used dollars with no problem, but we bought very little; in the touristy areas dollars, Euros dollars or Lira seemed equally acceptable. We were just there a little over a week ago.

Our tour company for Turkey and Ephesus preferred payment in dollars or Euros.

Know that you're "joking", but I was just in Istanbul and it's much more cosmopolitan than parts of Philidelphia! :D

I don't think the reference was because they thought the country is rural, but because of the threat of the collapse of the Euro and that the Lira isn't strong either. Both currencies are in trouble.

Archived