Ultimate Ship Tour on Grand?

the wombat

I like. Where do ya go to book an Ultimate Ship Tour? Hope it's a sea day. And charge?

It is usually mentioned in the embarkation day Patter.

But before even reading the Patter, go to the Purser's desk and sign up for the tour.

It is always only given on a sea day and is usually on the last sea day of the cruise.

My husband signed up as soon as we got on board. He absolutely loved it. He came back full of stories and loads of photos from behind the scenes. They actually ran two tours about a half an hour apart Due to a medical emergency on board, he got to observe the officers plotting a new course as the ship went back to the nearest island for medical help.

Sounds fun but $150 does seem a bit much for this boy. So for me right now, it's a maybe.

It does sound like a lot, but 95%+ of the people who talk about it here on Cruise Critic say it is worth it.

It also costs less than many shore excursions which may not be as near as interesting.

Sounds fun but $150 does seem a bit much for this boy. So for me right now, it's a maybe.

To compare Carnival charges $95 for the larger ships and you are not allowed to take any electronic device, no camera, no cell phone. You are searched by security before hand. You do get a Hat, Bag, 8X10 of your group on the bow of the ship and 8x10 of you and the Captain.

I'm on a 4 day Caribbean Princess and wondering if they do offer it. I would pay it but then I'm into the technical side of things.

We did the ultimate ship's tour on the Golden Princess--very similar in almost every way to the Grand--in January and felt it was worth every cent of the price.

Having read about it here on CC, we knew to sign up at the passenger service desk as soon as we boarded, but there was no announcement and we never saw it publicized in the Patters or anywhere else. That probably explains why there were only six on our tour!

Incidentally, the confirmation letter we received the day before our tour emphasized that no photography was permitted, so we dutifully left our cameras behind. But at almost every stop on the tour, we were invited to take pictures if we wished! You might consider tucking a small camera in your pocket. If pictures are permitted or--as in our case--even encouraged, you're prepared. If not, then of course you follow the rules.

My husband and I did the tour last year on the Ruby..enjoyed it very much...especially the plush robes they give you as a gift..but, hard to pack in the suitcase!:)

We did the ultimate ship's tour on the Golden Princess--very similar in almost every way to the Grand--in January and felt it was worth every cent of the price.

Having read about it here on CC, we knew to sign up at the passenger service desk as soon as we boarded, but there was no announcement and we never saw it publicized in the Patters or anywhere else. That probably explains why there were only six on our tour!

Incidentally, the confirmation letter we received the day before our tour emphasized that no photography was permitted, so we dutifully left our cameras behind. But at almost every stop on the tour, we were invited to take pictures if we wished! You might consider tucking a small camera in your pocket. If pictures are permitted or--as in our case--even encouraged, you're prepared. If not, then of course you follow the rules.

• 1 year later...
My husband and I did the tour last year on the Ruby..enjoyed it very much...especially the plush robes they give you as a gift..but, hard to pack in the suitcase!:)

We're taking an extra duffel type bag. :D We'll be on the Ruby in August so the front desk will be our first stop. I'm hoping they'll allow photos - I'll stick my small camera in my pocket just in case.

I just did the tour on the Star and it is very informative. We were not allowed to bring cameras though. I know my husband did it on the Ruby and he said that someone had a camera. When I went, the security officer that went with us was a no nonsense girl. Anyway, we went to the medical centre, behind the scenes and dressing room at the theatre, mooring room, engine control room, kitchen, laundry, print shop, and the bridge. Plus, you are walking around the crew area at the bottom of the ship. It is pretty cool down there. While in the kitchen and after the bridge there are beverages and canapés.

For gifts we received the nice thick robe, pad of paper with our name on it and the ships name, an apron, and several group photos that were taken around the ship.

Total time was almost 3.5 hours long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had considered this tour for years but the $150 price tag scared me off. I finally did the tour on the Grand Princess last fall and am really glad I did. We only had 7 people on our tour and it was about 4 hours long. All of the departments heads of the places we visited were very proud to tell us about their sections and took lots of time out of their busy schedule.

We saw many interesting places "behind the scenes" and I was very impressed. Captain Justin Lawes spent about a 1/2 hour afterwards answering our questions about the ship and life aboard. I live in the SF area and didn't have to fly home, the amount of luggage room you need for all of the goodies your receive afterward is no lie.

I may repeat sometime in the future but it is well worthy the cost to do once.

I'm hoping they'll allow photos - I'll stick my small camera in my pocket just in case.

I just did the tour on the Star and it is very informative. We were not allowed to bring cameras though.

The form you sign says no pictures allowed.

I brought a camera and when on the bridge asked if I could take pictures there and was told I could take as many as I wanted.

Others have posted they asked at stops along the way and were allowed to take pictures at some of them.

Absolutely no pictures allowed in the engine control room.

There is a ship's photographer along on the tour and he/she will take several group photos which will be delivered to your cabin later in the day.

Has anyone been on Grand Princess lately and seen the UST advertised?? We have been on Sun twice, and did UST the first time, and would like to do UST on the large Grand in July.

My husband and I did the UST on the Grand in September of 2013. We had tried to do it once before but it was cancelled since only four people signed up (I believe it's app. 6 minimum and 12 maximum). It was fabulous! We spent over four hours on a well organized and complete tour of a variety of places, including the print shop, the galley (while the cooks were doing their thing, NOT like the galley tour cattle call following the culinary demo in the theater), backstage at the theater, mooring deck, engine control room, food storage and prep areas, laundry, florist shop, crew mess, medical center and the bridge. In each location, a person in charge greeted us and gave us an overview of their area. We could not stay long on the bridge due to a heightened alert level being declared due to intense fog. Visitors must clear the bridge during such alerts. However afterward, Captain Justin Lawes met us in the wedding chapel with champagne and hors d'oeuvres for a lengthy Q & A session. There were lots of freebies included. Over the next couple of days, delivered to our cabin were personalized notepads from the print shop, two heavy, luxurious bathrobes, chefs aprons with the princess logo, personalized photographs of each of us with the captain and group photos from several of the visited locations. We felt it was pricey, but well worth the expense. It was definitely the highlight of our cruise!!