NY Airport Question

mnovak61

We are thinking about cruising to Bermuda from NYC and I was wondering if one airport is better than the rest to fly into? Is the cost to get to the terminal cheaper, is one closer than the others? Any help would be great!

Assuming you mean the Manhattan cruise terminal (some might refer to Cape Liberty as being in NY even though it's in NJ), the closest airport to the port is LGA, and a taxi or car service from there would cost about $35. EWR is next, but transportation costs to the port are generally the highest because it's in NJ . JFK is furthest from the port but because there is a fixed taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan of $45.50, ground transportation costs (at least if you're taking a taxi) are cheaper than they are from EWR.

Really, the first and main thing you need to look at is the airfare and flight schedule. If flying to a particular airport is significantly cheaper or more convenient, then just book to that airport and don't worry about the relatively small differences in ground transportation time and cost. If airfare and flight schedules are a virtual toss up, then flying into LGA makes the most sense.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I was looking at the Norwegian Star out of the Manhattan port. Do they run shuttle busses from the airports or is everything by taxi. We will probably fly in the day of departure and leave right out after the cruise so I was just thinking about getting the timing down for the transfers.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I was looking at the Norwegian Star out of the Manhattan port. Do they run shuttle busses from the airports or is everything by taxi. We will probably fly in the day of departure and leave right out after the cruise so I was just thinking about getting the timing down for the transfers.

Where are you flying from? Is your flight non-stop or do you have to change planes? Do you have a backup plan if you do not get on the flight you booked or there is a delay or cancellation of the flight? What time does your ship leave (remember, you have to be on board 90 minutes or more before it leaves)? What will you do if your luggage does not make a transfer or you have to wait at the airport a long time for your luggage? How long after your flight lands do you have to get the the ship and have you planned for the major traffic jams that can occur in NYC? If you miss your ship, where do you have to fly to meet it and do you need a passport to fly to the next port?

Have I scared you enough?

Almost everyone on CC feels that it is totally crazy to arrive at your departure city the day that the ship leaves is totally crazy.

DON

The availability and modes of transportation vary depending on the airport, which is why I focused on taxi or car service because that's available from anywhere. When you choose your flights/airport it will be easier for someone here to give you a complete rundown of the transportation options.

If you're interested in taking the cruse line's transfers to the port, I don't believe NCL offers them from all the airports...perhaps only LGA, but with the ready availability of taxis and car services, as well as other modes of transportation in NY, it usually doesn't make a lot of sense to take the cruise line transfer.

As the prior poster said, it's better to fly in the day before your cruise if you can to protect against the possibility of transportation delays causing you to miss your cruise . Heck...NY is such a great place to visit, why not fly in several days in advance and enjoy the city, if you have the time and money?

LGA or ERK. NO not JFK

It's flat out wrong to rule out any of the three major area airports without knowing airfares and flight schedules, particularly in light of the very reasonable flat rate taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan.

And the correct code for Newark is EWR, not "ERK".

Im on the Glory Sept 3rd Will be flying into LGA and out of EWR. two q's Any hotel ideas by the airport or maybe midtown and can I make my flight home at noon with time to spare getting there from ship. Thanks

Im on the Glory Sept 3rd Will be flying into LGA and out of EWR. two q's Any hotel ideas by the airport or maybe midtown and can I make my flight home at noon with time to spare getting there from ship. Thanks

LaGuardia Plaza Hotel-DIRECTLY across the Parkway from LGA. Great service, full service hotel, cheaper than the Hampton Inn next door (owned by the same people). It is really funny-Hampton Inn costs more and has free breakfast. BUT you have to go to the LaGuardia Plaza to eat it.

You may have a VERY difficult time making a noon flight out of EWR. Customs can sometimes take a very long time in NYC. Then you have a drive of 1/2-1 hour, depending on traffic. EWR can be a very crowded airport. AND you must check in at least 1 hour pre flight. This means you will have to be off the ship and in a taxi/car service by no later than 10:00AM. This may not happen. Be prepared. Good luck!!!

It's flat out wrong to rule out any of the three major area airports without knowing airfares and flight schedules, particularly in light of the very reasonable flat rate taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan.

And the correct code for Newark is EWR, not "ERK".

excuse me, I made a mistake on the airline code so sue me. I never use JFK unless I'm crossing the pond(UK or Europe). I used that airport many times in my travels. I still hate using it. LGA is also closer to both my parents houses if any kind of flight weather delay occurs, I can spend the night then I head back home to CT. Which has happened in bad weather. I feel safer at LGA than JFK.

excuse me, I made a mistake on the airline code so sue me. I never use JFK unless I'm crossing the pond(UK or Europe). I used that airport many times in my travels. I still hate using it. LGA is also closer to both my parents houses if any kind of flight weather delay occurs, I can spend the night then I head back home to CT. Which has happened in bad weather. I feel safer at LGA than JFK.

I'm sorry...apparently I forgot that the most important factor for the OP to consider when choosing an airport is that it's close to your parents houses...:rolleyes:

LGA with its short and only one runway in each direction is the absolutely worst airport in bad weather. While you are entitled to your opinion, the facts are that JFK with the longest runway on the east coast is generally better than LGA in bad weather. LGA has no long haul international flights. It has relatively few cross country non-stops too.

I like LGA is convenient and small but it is the most weather prone delay airport in the country. JFK during the day has lighter air traffic than either LGA or EWR. Its why Jet Blue went there...it had plenty of slots for landing and taking off.

JFK is not significantly more expensive for ground transport either buses or taxis while EWR is and LGA has the worst ground transport- on the weekends ground transport for an early morning landing should be no problem.

and since we are giving advice to others its helpful to use the correct code and not complain when someone corrects an error.

so in general at the three NY airports(not using either Stewart Airport or Republic-difficult ground transport), you should look at schedule and price and then pick based on that...you will have no problem getting from any of the three to Manhattan.

Why do people on the cc boards get so nasty?

I don't know, its how cruise critic is at times, I don't let it bother me. Some subjects and topics can get heated.(and they do) . BUT we are here on cruise critic because we love cruising.

Archived