Shopping in Halifax and/or St.John

I am reading that there is a LOT of shopping that can be done in both these ports.

My question is - what are the items both these stops would be 'known' for?

I am also some what of an eclectic collector of old odd things, so antique/second hand shops would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Halifax has lots of touristy shops along the boardwalk straight out from where the ship docks. There also are shops on the main street which runs parallel from the waterfront. We have found a lovely shop with quality mens sweaters...... some ladies things as well but DH bought some fabulous sweaters through the years.

Also, there is an indoor mall about a mile down the board walk when you get to a cluster of restaurants. I've had some nice things from that little mall.

In Saint John, there are two malls within a few minutes walk fro the cruise terminal. Here are links to there websites.

Brunswick Square: http://www.brunswicksquare.ca/

Market Square: http://www.marketsquaresj.com/

You might be interested in the Hayward and Warwick store in this mall.

There are also many other Galleries and other small shops withing walking distance.

http://www.uptownsj.com/main.html

To me a visit to the Old City Market and a visit to the New Brunswick Museum would be high on my list.

Halifax: There is some good shopping (crafts, local stuff) at the pier where you dock. There is shopping along the waterfront and at Historic Properties at the north end of the waterfront. There is also shopping including two mini malls on Spring Garden Road.

Since you like old and odd things then try Urban Cottage on Granville St. , Halifax . It is walkable from the ship and has a great assortment. The owners haunt yard sales so they have lots of both retro and antique items. Also folks take things to them. Lots of small 'packables' The store is well organized and clean! :)

Hi Rupertswife,

I have been to Halifax several times and I can't help stopping by Nova Scotia Crystal. It is an easy walk from the ship and you can watch the artisans at work from the sidewalk. their pieces are beautiful. My favorite pattern, "Titanic" It is patterned after the light fixtures in the dining room.

Enjoy!

Rose-Ann

Aitken' Pewter in Brunswick Square in Saint John has a lovely collection of pewter items made here in New Brunswick. It is a long established company.

The City Market vendors sell a diverse collection of items. You can find maple syrup products there.

The vendors' tent at the Pugsley Terminal also features items from reputable New Brunswick firms.

Hi Rupertswife,

I have been to Halifax several times and I can't help stopping by Nova Scotia Crystal. It is an easy walk from the ship and you can watch the artisans at work from the sidewalk. their pieces are beautiful. My favorite pattern, "Titanic" It is patterned after the light fixtures in the dining room.

Enjoy!

Rose-Ann

I love going to Nova Scotian Crystal. DH and I started collecting the Annapolis pattern. Aside from visiting the store, they have great mail order service to the States.

Archived