Common courtesy?

Why would you think non-smokers would research where the smoking areas are on a ship? The thought would not cross their mind as it did not cross mine. That is like a non-smoker researching the smoking areas at the Magic Kingdom, why would they do that? Or a non-pet owner researching the closest dog park in a city they are going to visit. It is something that is not done or even a thought until we read it on a board like this. I grew up in a family of 5 and am the only non smoker of my parents and brothers and I booked a balcony to enjoy the balcony and before I came to this board, the thought of someone smoking on the balcony next to me NEVER occurred in my mind at all.

Smoking around non-smokers goes way beyond the smell, there are physical effects to non-smokers. Whenever my family of 6 visit my mom within the first hour in her house we all begin to have physical signs of being sick such as runny nose, burning nose and throat, headaches. We have to all both headache medicine and allergy medicine to relieve the symptoms. These are things that smoke does to non-smokers.

I haven't even been on my carnival cruise yet, but this will be my one and only on carnival... that is for sure (for several reasons). Sorry, room was booked before I realized that there was smoking allowed on balconies. I did lots of research, but researching smoking policies was not on my list.

It seems your family of 6 is overly sensitive to cigarette smoke and if it effects you that much maybe it should have been on your top list of priorities when you were researching cabins/cruiselines.

I wish I could take credit for this. This is an AWESOME idea:

Saw a press release somewhere recently that said Celebrity is going to step up the non-smoking restrictions even more by designating only a single area for smoking. As ships go into dry dock for refurbishing, a new area will be built just for smokers. A door will be cut into the smoke stack and a platform will be built inside. Smokers will have to stand on this platform to smoke, and as the exhaust smoke from the engines streams up, their cigarette smoke will be whisked away along with it. Portholes will be installed so smokers will be able to see outside during their smoke break. A special exit door will be used. When the smokers exit they will step into a blast of fresh, perfumed air to blow away any exhaust smells that might have gotten into their clothing or hair.

:D:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33718907&postcount=43

We just came off the Magic and had a Spa balcony cabin on deck 12. I specifically wanted it for the non-smoking aspect as the last 2 cruises I have taken I could not sit on my balcony and enjoy fresh air.

Anyway, even though the Spa decks balconies are supposed to be smoke free, I could still smell smoke from decks below. 11 and 12 are smoke free so the closest deck with balconies that allowed smoking would be 10. So from deck 12 I could smell deck 10 balcony smoke. So, in answer to those who think you can get away from the smoke by booking a Spa deck balcony... save your money.

I like the idea of allowing smoke on only one side of the ship. Or perhaps aft balconies only.

^^ Bottom line, non-smokers don't want to breathe cigarette smoke. Yes, you're in the smoking section. It's probably best to enjoy it now while you continue to say nothing. One day, smokers will be limited to a small, aft section on a single deck where others will never notice them. That's a good thing for the majority of pax.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

This is true As smokers, we can remember when they phased out smoking on airplanes. The very last row was reserved for smokers. It was like a bench seat in the back of a bus.

If you knowngly jump into a pool full of sharks you really can't complain if one of them chomps off your leg. True?

If you knowingly book a balcony cabin on Carnival you really can't complain if there are smokers around you. True?

Not true. First time non-smoking cruisers would not know this.

Not true. First time non-smoking cruisers would not know this.

This non-smoker does his due diligence and finds out what the smoking policies are for where I'm traveling. It's not like the information is super secret or difficult to find. Almost a self-inflicted wound if you don't know what the policies are before booking.

Sometimes we will smoke one or two at night. I would be a bit put off if somebody asked me to put out my cigarrette on my balcony because I'm only smoking less than 10 minutes out of the days. I could totally understand saying something if we were chain smokers though. Frankly a chain smoker next to our balcony would bother me- as does lights on the balcony at night when nobody is using it and loud music. If it is a deal breaker for you I definately agree with the folks who said to book a spa balcony.

I am a smoker who seldom books a balcony. The few times I have been in one I did not smoke there as it irritates my wife who is out there with me. So I would go to a smoking lounge, like the sports bar. Then non-smokers would ask me not to smoke because it bothered them. I use common courtesy when I smoke, how about some courtesy from the non smokers, don't complain when smoking is taking place where it is allowed.

^^ Bottom line, non-smokers don't want to breathe cigarette smoke. Yes, you're in the smoking section. It's probably best to enjoy it now while you continue to say nothing. One day, smokers will be limited to a small, aft section on a single deck where others will never notice them. That's a good thing for the majority of pax.

We just got off a Princess Cruise and I really liked their "No Smoking" policy because people could not smoke on their balconies or in their rooms. There were only a few places that they even allowed smoking on the ship and there did not seem to be that many smokers on the cruise. Since Princess is owned by Carnival I am sure the day "No Smoking" on your balcony is coming to Carnival ships too. So much for cruise lines losing money if smoking is banned. :)

I use common courtesy when I smoke, how about some courtesy from the non smokers, don't complain when smoking is taking place where it is allowed.

As a non-smoker who is really bothered by cigarette smoke, I agree.

"Poisoning the air others breathe is allowed."

Putting it thus way, any reasonable person can understand what is wrong with this.

This is why non-smokers don't care about smokers' "rights" or if it's done in an area where it's "allowed". We don't want to be anywhere near it. Period. The above statement puts it in perspective. It's not OK to spread a carcinogen in the air that others breathe. It simply doesn't matter if the cruise line allows it or not.

Smokers don't get it because their poisoning of the air has been tolerated for so long. They think it's their right to deny others their right to breathe fresh air.

As long as they continue this nasty habit in the presence of those who understand the above, they will be "told" about it, either verbally or by subtle or not-so-subtle hints. Smokers, I know you don't like it, but it is what it is.

Putting it thus way, any reasonable person can understand what is wrong with this.

This is why non-smokers don't care about smokers' "rights" or if it's done in an area where it's "allowed". We don't want to be anywhere near it. Period. The above statement puts it in perspective. It's not OK to spread a carcinogen in the air that others breathe. It simply doesn't matter if the cruise line allows it or not.

Smokers don't get it because their poisoning of the air has been tolerated for so long. They think it's their right to deny others their right to breathe fresh air.

As long as they continue this nasty habit in the presence of those who understand the above, they will be "told" about it, either verbally or by subtle or not-so-subtle hints. Smokers, I know you don't like it, but it is what it is.

wah wah wah.....

They are participating in a completely legal activity and as long as they are conforming to the rules you can't do anything but continue to rant. If you don't want to breathe smoke then don't go into areas where smoking is allowed. It is as simple as that.

I think you'd be 'telling' the wrong people. The smokers are allowed to do just that. Seems to me the one's who should be "told" are the one's who have the power to change current policy on the ships, or anywhere, for that matter.

It is what it is. ;)

This is true As smokers, we can remember when they phased out smoking on airplanes. The very last row was reserved for smokers. It was like a bench seat in the back of a bus.

If we could have sat outside on the wing, we could have retained the smoking section on aircraft as well! :D

The air is "poisoned" (as you put it) in many ways. Why do you cruise when you know the cruise ship is releasing noxious fumes from the funnels? I guess we should also get rid of aircraft, make all other forms of transportation electric, change over to be 100% nuclear powered for our electricity, close all factories, close all restaurants that cook anything (especially wood fired pizzerias and steakhouses), stop the spraying of pesticides on lawns, and stop selling perfume. I'm sure there are many other pollutants in our air as well that I can't think of at the moment. :rolleyes:

Simply put, if you don't want to be near smoke, don't go where smoking is allowed. That will help keep your air "cleaner".

It is your incessant whining that bores me.

There there.

Bored? The content of your direct replies to my posts suggest you're bothered by my viewpoint because you don't share it. But you've certainly deemed them worthy of a reply.

• 2 months later...
Everyone is talking about the rights of a smoker and the right of a nonsmoker, but for the longest time, hundreds of years, rights have been described in a certain way: You have rights until those rights impede on others rights.

It's the reason on radios words are blocked out and such scenarios; a person's rights to not hear those words outweigh another's rights to hear those words.

The same idea can be applied to the smoking situation. Smoking is harmful, as is the smoke produced from a cigarettes, cigars, etc. Now, I'm not telling you to not smoke (you may do as you please) I'm just stating a fact. So, in the end nonsmokers’ rights to not smell smoke win out over smokers' rights to smoke. However, this is why Carnival sets up smoking areas. While this isn't as convenient as your personal balcony, it's a compromise that will 'satisfy' both parties.

I must admit I only read 7 out of the 13 pages of comments---and I expected someone would catch this--but they didn't.

"Radio Words" were not --and ARE NOT --blocked out because of a persons "Right NOT" to hear them (outweighing a person's right TO hear them). FREEDOM of speech guarantees a person to just that: FREEDOM OF SPEECH. The Radio station (or TV Station) has a Department of Standards...where each station decides what they want to present to their listeners/audience...it is not a RIGHT. Which is why HBO/MTV/STRZ/SIRIUS, etc has swearing on their channels. They have decided that this is appropriate for their audience. If NBC/ABC/CBS/PBS would decide this is what THEIR audience was looking for...they would allow it as well. IT IS NOT A RIGHT.

That being said...your analogy is completely off base. Carnival has decided that Balconies ARE a smoking area. Because you booked a balcony does not mean that YOUR "Rights of expecting to smell no smoke" supercede the" Rights" of the smoker who booked a 'smoking' balcony --under the correct guidelines of the cruiseship. If you choose NOT to smell the smoke...then don't book a Balcony where smoking is allowed...instead book an Oceanview or inside room ....Comparatively, If you choose NOT to hear swear words on the radio---don't listen to Sirius Radio, turn the channel to PBS...

I am a non-smoker who used to smoke. I understand that cruisers book a balcony so that they can smoke. We have been on 9 cruises. On 2 of them we have had problems with smokers. One was chain smoking going on, someone was always out there smoking; the other was a cigar smoker. For the chain smokers, I did not get to enjoy my balcony at all b/c there was always someone out there when I wanted to be out on it relaxing. For the cigar smoking cruise, we went out when the smoker was done. My question is where do smokers put their cigarette ashes & butts? To each their own, yes, but I am not going to book an Inside cabin just b/c others choose to smoke non-stop. We as non-smokers can only hope we can enjoy our balconies or those smokers next to us are considerate & are willing to work with us. Isn't that what life is SUPPOSED to be like (yes, I know I may be delusional :p).

Both times we have had a balcony and even at the beach last week, people all around us were smoking on their balconies. I feel I also pay extra to have a balcony and I should be able to enjoy it just as much as the smokers do.

My DH and I both are non-smokers. We have drilled in our DSs heads to not smoke. Our oldest has asthma and I really do not want to bring his asthma machine on the cruises we take. My DH and I both had parents who smoked all the time, in the house, in the car, wherever. Our clothes always smelled like smoke, it was in our hair. You would choke on the smoke. We chose to be smoke free and our boys are against it as well. I know our oldest def is due to his asthma, who knows with our youngest, what he will chose. All of our parents have since quit smoking since the boys were born-going on 16 years now. It is a much more pleasant environment to be around.

I guess I feel both have rights-smokers & non-smokers. I hate to see parents who smoke around their kids-and I hate it when they smoke around my kids. Or to see preg women smoking. I feel both should be courteous to their cabin neighbor. I have a mouth like a sailor, but if I am out in public, I am not going to unleash my words!

Bottom line, both should be respectful of each other.

I smoke 3-4 big fat stinky cigars per day. I especially enjoy them on a cruise, out on the balcony. But if you ask me to not smoke while you are out there, I will gladly put it out. I think most cigar smokers would do the same. Please use common courtesy when asking.

I dont understand how people complain about smoking on balconies. The ship is moving at a prett good clip and creating significant air flow. How in the world can the smoke bother you on the next balcony?

That said, I try to be a courteous smoker, but there also needs to be just a little tolorance on the part of the non smoker.

Archived