Walkie Talkies ??

curtdesilets

Just wondering what Celebrity's policy is on walkie talkies.

My wife and I often have a hard time connecting for breakfast, etc. I'm an early riser, she likes to sleep in....you get it.

We were contemplating getting a pair just so we can communicate better on these big ships.

Any advice/suggestions/comments? :confused:

There does not seem to be any policy against them as far as Celebrity is concerned. There are some places the ship may visit where walkie-talkies are illegal, however.

Families often bring them to keep track of children. As long as you don't shout into them and bother your neighbors who are resting in a nearby lounge chair, they shouldn't be an issue onboard.

There does not seem to be any policy against them as far as Celebrity is concerned. There are some places the ship may visit where walkie-talkies are illegal, however.

Families often bring them to keep track of children. As long as you don't shout into them and bother your neighbors who are resting in a nearby lounge chair, they shouldn't be an issue onboard.

I think it will beat our system of notes saying where we are or were and then playing hide and seek most of the morning.:)

My wife and I often have a hard time connecting for breakfast, etc. I'm an early riser, she likes to sleep in....you get it.

We were contemplating getting a pair just so we can communicate better on these big ships.

We were on the Constellation in February, our kids had them with them anytime they were away from us...no issues

keep in mind, domestic walkie talkies work best where there is little or no obstructions between each unit. Also keep in mind that the ship is made of metal and that signals may not penetrate all areas.

As long as you don't shout into them and bother your neighbors who are resting in a nearby lounge chair, they shouldn't be an issue onboard.

You'd think you wouldn't have to say that, wouldn't you....

On the Eclipse TA a few weeks ago, I was enjoying the special brunch in the MDR until a woman sat down at a nearby table, talking loudly into a walkie talkie to someone who apparently could not hear her (sort of -- Can you hear me, I'm over here, I'm over here, can you hear me? Can you hear me? I'm over here.).

Seriously. :eek:

You'd think you wouldn't have to say that, wouldn't you....

On the Eclipse TA a few weeks ago, I was enjoying the special brunch in the MDR until a woman sat down at a nearby table, talking loudly into a walkie talkie to someone who apparently could not hear her (sort of -- Can you hear me, I'm over here, I'm over here, can you hear me? Can you hear me? I'm over here.).

Seriously. :eek:

Happens every time - last cruise we were greatly annoyed while trying to read in a quiet area by a loud @ss talking one one of these for 10+ minutes. Use your manners, keep it brief and you will be fine. if you have to use it for more than "I am byt the pool see you in 5 minutes" come up with another plan please.

I am not a fan of them, and we usually tend to leave notes in the cabin. However, with children that might be different. We have cruised with our children and no matter where we went, they always found us.

We loved the Zenith, and there was a place on the forward deck that my husband and I enjoyed sitting in the evening. They always located us. I think kids have radar.

We have them and had good intentions to use them but never got round to it - wish we had remembered them last month as mum and dad spent hours looking for us and vice versa!

Lent then to a friend and their kids had a great time - mum giving instructions re putting on costumes and not forgetting to bring mum her sunglasses!

Can't you come to some agreement and have breakfast together ?

The staff on the ships use a kind of wireless phone that is ship internal. Makes me wonder if the line wouldn't make a mint if they wanted to rent them to passengers so that the passengers could contact each other. I'm sure they work a lot better than traditional walkie-talkies.

Two way radios are a good way to stay in contact if you are considerate people. Unfortunately, youth and teenagers just love to talk to their friends on them, adults talk to their children in the elevators or in the dining room and instead of lying back and relaxing enjoying the sun, the quiet background music, adults are often seen around the pool either chatting with their kids on the radios....or the "call" loud sound blares out alerting the adult that the child wants to speak to them and waking everyone around them.

If you don't fit into the above, by all means bring two way radios. If any of the above sounds like what you or your family might do, please leave them home.

They are annoying and sometimes don't work due to the metals walls, hulls etc. I think we will not invest in them. Notes and clocks and watches work fine. My wife was suggesting it might be a good idea, but I see it's limitations.

In all due seriousness, we are quiet people that like peace and quiet. Thus we usually cruise in the off season to avoid....you got it...kids and teenagers.

I would hate to become the thing we dread....loud people. :eek:

We have them and had good intentions to use them but never got round to it - wish we had remembered them last month as mum and dad spent hours looking for us and vice versa!

Lent then to a friend and their kids had a great time - mum giving instructions re putting on costumes and not forgetting to bring mum her sunglasses!

The last sentence is why walkie talkies are such a BIG nuisance to the to other passengers.

We do NOT need to listen to this kind of conversation.

We have a right to enjoy the peace and quiet of our space on the ship without this kind of nonsense

As for arrnging to meet for breakfast, for goodness sake isn't it enough to say "I will see you outside the dining room (buffet or wherever you eat) at 8.15a.m".!!!!

People did go on cruises before the invention of these mechanical devices. We were considerate of others who were "sharing the space" and took care of our children, we did not let them roam around the ship unattended, to get into mischief, or bother other passengers.

We have taken walkie-talkies and overall were worth taking. Yes, in some areas on the ship they don't work, but from outside stateroom to pool deck or other areas they work fine, and we only used them to find out where each other were and where we might be going so we could keep track of each other and coordinate plans, not to gab and bother people. For that purpose they are quite useful so don't be discouraged. You will probably be glad you brought them.

They are annoying and sometimes don't work due to the metals walls, hulls etc. I think we will not invest in them. Notes and clocks and watches work fine. My wife was suggesting it might be a good idea, but I see it's limitations.

In all due seriousness, we are quiet people that like peace and quiet. Thus we usually cruise in the off season to avoid....you got it...kids and teenagers.

I would hate to become the thing we dread....loud people. :eek:

Wise decision.

DW and I communicate.... or rather she tells me our/her itinery and I fit in...."oh hi dear"..

Sorry let me start again,

DW and I communicate together and we discuss what we are both interested in doing if its a sea day she goes to sunbathe and read a book while I go to a demo or the glass show or something. We then rendezvous ( I so like that word...yes it means meet up) at a pre arranged time and location. Any changes, we then leave a note in our cabin.

Archived