Princess's beverage package

DROOPALONG

How do the milkshakes taste, good like Baskin Robbins or blah like McDonalds? Do they use real ice cream or does it come out of a machine?

They're OK. I was on Crown Princess last month. It's real ice cream, but just simple ice cream + milk in a blender, so very basic. Although they also have the malted powder that can be added as an option if you prefer (as I do). They're made manually (no measurements) so they're inconsistent (sometimes thicker, sometimes runny). But for the relatively small price increment of the Soda and More package, it was worth it. Princess beverage packages are priced much better than most others.

They were only available at the ice cream place up on the pool deck though. I had hopes before the cruise that I might be able to get an after-dinner milkshake with/for desert in the MDR, but no. Could only get it at the ice cream station by the pool.

Edited by dbsb3233

Are there any limits (pricewise) on what you can have like the Celebrity one. ie. Classic $5 for beer and $8 for spirits/cocktails, glasses of wine etc.

Everything $10 and under - everything. Cocktails, shots, after dinner shots (although not the souvenir glass), wine by the glass (in Vines too), soda, shakes, water, fresh juice - everything $10 & under, which is virtually the entire drink menu at this point except a few scotches and other super high end liquors.

Can we order these packages online/via email/on the phone before the cruise... or do we have to wait until boarding?

I couldn't find an online order feature. You should be able to call and order any beverage package by phone, but do it at least a week in advance. They lock out changes around then to tranfer account control to the ship system. Although you can always just sign up on the ship at any bar or restaurant too. I don't believe there's any early discounts on Princess.

gh you can always just sign up on the ship at any bar or restaurant too.

Certain states (such as Florida) charge sales tax on all onboard purchases made before the ship is out of state waters.

Do you know how this affects the timing of the package purchase on embarkation day?

Certain states (such as Florida) charge sales tax on all onboard purchases made before the ship is out of state waters.

Do you know how this affects the timing of the package purchase on embarkation day?

We signed up on the ship, in the buffet, while still docked in port. I'm pretty sure were were not charged tax.

But our friends ordered the basic soda package by phone weeks ahead. Then when we told them about the Soda & More for only a few dollars more, they went to the front desk on the ship to upgrade. They told them to go sign up for Soda & More at a bar first, then come back to the front desk and they would credit them back for the basic soda pkg they pre-ordered. When we compared statements at the end of the trip, theirs ended up being a few dollars more than ours. I think that was tax, although with the back and forth adjustments it was a little hard to tell.

Bottom line - it appeared that signing up ahead of time DID charge tax, while signing up onboard did not (this was a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale).

For those who have purchased the All-Inclusive Beverage package, I saw that any drink under $10 was included, but could one order a bottle of wine and take it to their room using this? I cannot imagine my wife and I drinking $100+ per day of alcohol and other drinks, but we would share a bottle of wine at dinner or pre-dinner if we could take a bottle to our room.

I am guessing that all they allow is wine by the glass, but I thought I would ask. I honestly cannot imagine a $1400+ bar bill for our upcoming cruise, but to each their own.

Wines by the glass up to $10 are included in the package and it also allows for a 20% discount on wines by the bottle.

Also keep in mind that the package covers non-alcoholic beverages, bottles of water and specialty coffees so when you add those in (if you drink them) then it can work out to be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It does, and it's a crap shoot as to if they post it while in port or not. If you're going to buy it anyway, might as well purchase it before boarding and one will have it right away and avoid the sales tax- 6%. Maybe not a lot, but enough to buy a drink.

Wines by the glass up to $10 are included in the package and it also allows for a 20% discount on wines by the bottle.

Also keep in mind that the package covers non-alcoholic beverages, bottles of water and specialty coffees so when you add those in (if you drink them) then it can work out to be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we were on Star, the discount for bottles (if you had purchased the alcohol beverage package) was 40%, not 20%. Has this changed across the ships offering the package?

For those who have purchased the All-Inclusive Beverage package, I saw that any drink under $10 was included, but could one order a bottle of wine and take it to their room using this? I cannot imagine my wife and I drinking $100+ per day of alcohol and other drinks, but we would share a bottle of wine at dinner or pre-dinner if we could take a bottle to our room.

I am guessing that all they allow is wine by the glass, but I thought I would ask. I honestly cannot imagine a $1400+ bar bill for our upcoming cruise, but to each their own.

As far as taking the bottle back to your room - nope, the bottles are handled just like they are if you don't have a package - ie, any un-drunk wine is saved for your next dinner, they don't give you the bottle to carry around with you.

If you can't imagine that type of bar bill on a 14-night or longer cruise, then the package is probably not for you. It just depends on your drinking habits. A good portion of our package was used towards water, as in 4-5 liter bottles a day, easy along with cocktails and a soda or shake maybe.

For a lot of people, the package doesn't make sense, for others it does - it's nice to have options.

Enjoy your sailings!

It does, and it's a crap shoot as to if they post it while in port or not. If you're going to buy it anyway, might as well purchase it before boarding and one will have it right away and avoid the sales tax- 6%. Maybe not a lot, but enough to buy a drink.

$49/day * two people * 7 days * 6% tax is $41.16 tax which most people would probably like to avoid.

Everything $10 and under - everything. Cocktails, shots, after dinner shots (although not the souvenir glass), wine by the glass (in Vines too), soda, shakes, water, fresh juice - everything $10 & under, which is virtually the entire drink menu at this point except a few scotches and other super high end liquors.

Read the entire thread but having trouble getting answers to my specific questions. I understand they are just now rolling this out to other ships but will it be available on cruises shorter than 7 days? We are doing a 5 day in mid-April and would like to know if it will be available for our sailing on the Ruby or not. Also, most packages are priced whereas they include the gratuity so I am not sure if the $49 plus gratuity is such a good deal. The same package on RCCL was $49 including gratuity I think.

Also, we are wine drinkers so can anyone share their experience with the wines available on the program along with what kind of champagne is available? I would hope Korbel but that may be wishful thinking!

Thanks!

Barbara