Man of War on Horseshoe Bay Beach picture!

jojo412

I got back from our cruise to Bermuda 4 days ago... We had a blast and Bermuda was beautiful! We spent a beach day at Horseshoe Bay Beach and LOVED it there (tons of snorkeling too!).

We took a walk to the coves next to the beach and saw a dead Man of War that had washed up onto the beach. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and also a lot prettier than its name depicts.

Here's a couple of pictures:

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Then, after walking back to the main beach area, there was a little crowd surrounding a truck on the beach (the truck belonged to the workers at the beach) and one of them was holding a LIVE Man of War with his fingers! He did say that this one was alive and that he would be relocated since they're a protected species.

IMG_2741.JPG

Just thought I'd share with everyone - they are really cool looking creatures. I didn't see any in the water and I spent a lot of time swimming and snorkeling... so no need to be afraid! just enjoy the beautiful beach :) I wish I were back there ahhhhh

Yes have read they are around. Just don't get tangled with them may mean a trip to a clinic or such. DO NOT rub where they get you...that will push the nettles in. My 4 year old got caught up with one in North Carolina around her legs....have to scrap the stingers off....we took her to a clinic due to the "little-ness" of her....she had scars on her legs for 9 months though from the nettles.

Lou

I got back from our cruise to Bermuda 4 days ago... We had a blast and Bermuda was beautiful! We spent a beach day at Horseshoe Bay Beach and LOVED it there (tons of snorkeling too!).

We took a walk to the coves next to the beach and saw a dead Man of War that had washed up onto the beach. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and also a lot prettier than its name depicts.

Here's a couple of pictures:

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Then, after walking back to the main beach area, there was a little crowd surrounding a truck on the beach (the truck belonged to the workers at the beach) and one of them was holding a LIVE Man of War with his fingers! He did say that this one was alive and that he would be relocated since they're a protected species.

IMG_2741.JPG

Just thought I'd share with everyone - they are really cool looking creatures. I didn't see any in the water and I spent a lot of time swimming and snorkeling... so no need to be afraid! just enjoy the beautiful beach :) I wish I were back there ahhhhh

It is safe to handle a Man O' war by its body, since the stinging cells (Nematocysts) are only on the tentacles. Be careful not to let the tentacles touch you.

Why would a jellyfish be a protected species? If I see one washed up on the beach, I won't go in the water. One on the beach could mean many more in the water.

There's no parasailing at Horseshoe Bay...as I recall it is available at Dockyard, where your ship will be berthed.

I don't know if snorkeling equipment is rented at Horseshoe Bay, but I'm inclined to guess it isn't, because Horseshoe Bay isn't a prime snorkeling location. My wife, who is the main beach goer in the family, doesn't recall seeing it being rented there.

Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous. It is the cleanest, safest, friendliest island you could go to.

You can spend a day in St.George (ferry over), go to tobaco bay, the fort or do as we do, walk for miles along the coast and explore. We always run into the locals who truly are the nicest people, very welcoming.

Spend a day at horseshoe beach and the south shore beaches. Lots to explore there, You can access more private beaches throughout the coves.

And Hamilton for all your tourist shopping, you can ferry over, walk around and shop, visit the Cathedral which is so beautiful.

You can spend your last day at Snorkel park beach if your ship is docked at kings wharf. Its a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship.

We took a private taxi tour of the south shore beaches before,during and after sunset. The driver was amazing, he also loved taking pictures so he gave us the best photo memories ! He took us to Fort Scaur before sunset, Amazing place, very romantic. Our pix came out beautiful.

We cruise to BDA every fall because how beautiful bermuda really is.

Hope this helps a bit, others will chime in , we on CC all love this Island.

I love waking in a different place every day. But we are considering Bermuda for our Honeymoon. Is it worth it to spend 3 or 4 days there? Is there a lot to do and see?

Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous. It is the cleanest, safest, friendliest island you could go to.

You can spend a day in St.George (ferry over), go to tobaco bay, the fort or do as we do, walk for miles along the coast and explore. We always run into the locals who truly are the nicest people, very welcoming.

Spend a day at horseshoe beach and the south shore beaches. Lots to explore there, You can access more private beaches throughout the coves.

And Hamilton for all your tourist shopping, you can ferry over, walk around and shop, visit the Cathedral which is so beautiful.

You can spend your last day at Snorkel park beach if your ship is docked at kings wharf. Its a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship.

We took a private taxi tour of the south shore beaches before,during and after sunset. The driver was amazing, he also loved taking pictures so he gave us the best photo memories ! He took us to Fort Scaur before sunset, Amazing place, very romantic. Our pix came out beautiful.

We cruise to BDA every fall because how beautiful bermuda really is.

Hope this helps a bit, others will chime in , we on CC all love this Island.

Thank you for answering. It sounds like a good option. I appreciate all of the info. I will look into them. Thanks again!:D

There are so many sporting type activites as well, lots of shore excursions but Bermuda is such an easy and safe Island to get around, we do it on our own. Buses, ferries, private taxis, rent bicycles, scooters etc..

BTW... If you watch the Bachelorette this coming monday night, they're filing in Bermuda !!! It really is beautiful. I've been to lots of Islands and to keep going back year after year, it's so worth it.

Thank you for answering. It sounds like a good option. I appreciate all of the info. I will look into them. Thanks again!:D

There are so many sporting type activites as well, lots of shore excursions but Bermuda is such an easy and safe Island to get around, we do it on our own. Buses, ferries, private taxis, rent bicycles, scooters etc..

BTW... If you watch the Bachelorette this coming monday night, they're filing in Bermuda !!! It really is beautiful. I've been to lots of Islands and to keep going back year after year, it's so worth it.

I like to go exploring on my own as well as take the cruise excursions. I am glad to know I can take off here and be safe!

Archived