Bodysuit under formal gown?

MIJOY

I am 58 and having a hard time finding formal gowns that I like. All seem to be strapless or halter top, etc. I no longer feel comfortable wearing these.

I saw a photo of Jane Fonda a few days ago, she wore a beautiful gown, with what appeared to be a sheer nude bodysuit underneath (may have been part of the gown). I've seen something similiar on dancing with the stars, on older women. Has anyone tried this?

Looks ok on tv etc, but afraid it will look tacky in real life.

There are PLENTY of evening dresses that will cover your top half...no need to don a bodysuit under a gown! The dresses that "Dancing with the Stars" or celebrities wear are NOT "evening gowns"...they are costumes!

Go to a dept. store and start trying on formalwear....you will find what you're looking for...I guarantee it!

I saw a photo of Jane Fonda a few days ago, she wore a beautiful gown, with what appeared to be a sheer nude bodysuit underneath (may have been part of the gown).

I agree with some of the critiques of Jane Fonda's gown that she looked like she was wearing a figure skating costume. I've never liked that nude netting.

There are lots of dresses that aren't strapless or sleeveless. And there are lots of cute bolero jacket, fuller jacket, wrap type options too. You just might have to look in different places or online (I do lots of shopping online because I live a fair distance from decent shopping and I don't always feel like driving to shop) Good luck:D

That may have been glistenette filling in part of Jane Fonda's gown. It is frequently used to prevent breasts from falling out in low necklines or to give the appearance of skin showing while it is actually covered up. Of course, the glistenette color needs to match the skin tone.

I stood three feet away from Jane Fonda two years ago and honey, she doesn't need Spanx ... she's a rake. That woman doesn't have 10 ounces of extra fat on her. If she was wearing a body suit it was to prevent hypothermia, not to smooth anything out.

If you are finding only dresses that are strapless or halter then you need to find some other shops. I buy most of my formal dresses at Dillards and they have a good selection of dresses that cover more. Places like Cache are going to have sexier, less demure dresses.

That may have been glistenette filling in part of Jane Fonda's gown. It is frequently used to prevent breasts from falling out in low necklines or to give the appearance of skin showing while it is actually covered up. Of course, the glistenette color needs to match the skin tone.

Thanks

I think this is what I saw. I work out alot, don't really need spanks. Just trying to cover up a little more while avoiding the the matronly look.

I belong to a couple of ball room dance clubs. Finding dresses that look good and move with me is challanging.

I just saw the Jane Fonda dress being discussed on Fashion Police. She added the nude netting to that gown and the netting covered her décolletage and also was full length down her arms. Presumably to camouflage aging skin. She is in her 70's and looked really fabulous. I would not equate that look with a figure skating costume

I think that kind of sheer nude-coloured netting looks great from a distance, but looks bad - kind of tacky, IMO - up close.

Thats what I was afraid of.

Still thinking of trying with something in sheer black. I have a few dresses that I love, trying to think of a way to keep them. Have shawls, evening jackets, etc. but they always seem to twist up when I dance.

She is in her 70's and looked really fabulous. I would not equate that look with a figure skating costume

She looks fabulous. In my opinion (and I wasn't the only one - I read reviews online;) the dress did not. The OP asked for opinions. I gave one. And one of the reviews I read online equated the dress to a figure skating costume. I agreed. You don't. No worries.

HappyMe123- I actually think a sheer black top with a black (or patterned with black) dress would look better than the nude netting. The nude makes it look like you're trying to get it to blend in and not be there. Sheer black is just another fabric.

You might trying searching online for "modest formal dress." I also found some on therosedress dot com. I know what you mean about having a hard time dancing with shawls, jackets, etc. They just get in my way!

I only buy dresses with 3/4 length sleeves, I will not wear sleeveless, let alone strapless. No I would not consider a nude skater's bodysuit. These are fine for TV but not close up.

I've been buying dresses from Nordstrom's. I now have four new dresses for my cruise wardrobe.

I found a black lace 3/4 sleeve with dots of sequins throughout the dress. This dress has a nude color lining. It's a lovely formal classic dress. Can't wait to wear it on my next cruise.

Keep looking, you will find something that you feel sexy and mostly comfortable in.

Archived