Pre-existing condition question

karen s

I'm glad to know HA (their insurance) has changed. Their insurance policy was one reason I have always been turned off by HA. The first time we booked with them we paid the insurance, canceled the cruise WAY BEFORE final payment, but there was no refund of the insurance. This was years ago and obviously, I didn't do my homework way back then, but it's what got me looking deeply into insurance policies before future purchases.

I really wonder how many people actually know what they are buying. It's just way too complicated. I'm thankful we've never had to make a large claim, and I hope we never have to buy insurance that must be paid at time of deposit rather than at final payment. To tie up money for insurance (sometimes for more than one cruise) a year or two in advance just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, everyone's situation is different, and every insurance company has many plans, but it sure is a pain to reasearch all the possibilities and make an inteligent decision before each purchase - and even then, hope you made the right choice. Fortunately most of us never have to make a claim to find out the results of that choice. One thing nobody should have to go through in time of crisis is worrying about that insurance policy they bought.

This thread continues to call me back.........

The true test is what they're willing to put in writing. I just emailed them with the following. As soon as I get a response I'll post it here (it's Friday night so it might be Monday)

"If I'm traveling outside the US and need to be treated in a hospital can I just give you a call and you'll take care of the bill? Thanks."

I got the following very generic reply back from Travelex which didn't really directly address my question:

"Thank You for choosing Travelex Insurance Services. In regards to your request, if you were to become Ill or injured while traveling you would just need to see a doctor in person and once you returned home you would submit all your documentation to the claims department. In addition, all benefits are determined at the time of a claim depending on the documentation submitted."

I've emailed them back asking for a clarification on a couple of points:

1) If I CAN pay the hospital bill (credit cards or a wire transfer from a bank account which they can assist with) do I HAVE to pay it or will Travelex arrange pre-payment anyway so I don't have to make the credit card payments during the claims process?

2) If I CAN'T pay the bill (or only part of it) what will Travelex do?

I'll post their response when I get it.

I got the following very generic reply back from Travelex which didn't really directly address my question:

"Thank You for choosing Travelex Insurance Services. In regards to your request, if you were to become Ill or injured while traveling you would just need to see a doctor in person and once you returned home you would submit all your documentation to the claims department. In addition, all benefits are determined at the time of a claim depending on the documentation submitted."

I've emailed them back asking for a clarification on a couple of points:

1) If I CAN pay the hospital bill (credit cards or a wire transfer from a bank account which they can assist with) do I HAVE to pay it or will Travelex arrange pre-payment anyway so I don't have to make the credit card payments during the claims process?

2) If I CAN'T pay the bill (or only part of it) what will Travelex do?

I'll post their response when I get it.

I got another real generic answer back from Travelex -- they are (understandably) reluctant to anything in writing. So I called the customer service number and spoke to Calvin. I asked him basically those same two questions.

He says that if I can pay the hospital/doctor bill either through credit cards and/or my bank accounts I am expected to do that. They will help in getting credit card limits raised and coordinate with my bank to get a wire transfer from my account(s) to the hospital. I would submit the documentation and claim forms when I got home for reimbursement.

If I CAN"T come up with the funds to pay the bill, either to get admitted or released, Travelex can guarantee payment to the hospital for whatever portion of the bill I can't pay -- up to the policy limit of course.

So there you go. Two calls to Travelex and two apparently different answers, the one above and this one:

"I have spoken with Travelex and they have assured me that if one of us winds up in a foreign hospital, all I have to do is request that they pay the bill and they will."

Travelex Customer Service:

Phone:

1-800-228-9792

(8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST, Monday – Friday)

Ask for Calvin.

Because sometimes we book so far in advance that we don't want to lose the insurance premium if we cancel.

Just a week ago, we wanted to book a cruise that is about 18 months out. We could not book it because the insurance we want to book will not write a policy that far in advance. If we don't book within the required set number of days after our first deposit for the cruise, we will not have pre-existing condition converage. Therefore, we will wait to book the cruise at a later date.

I think it's the best cruise line plan out there if you can live with $10,000 in medical and $50,000 in medi vac. We can as we have primary insurance that pays out of network as if it is in-network if there is no other option. We found out in the past year that if we went to see the ships doctor all we were responsible for was a $15.00 co-pay.

We have only once put a claim on the HAL plan, but it was on the pre-departure coverage provided by HAL when our teenager just decided 5 years ago she was not going with us to Italy one month before we were scheduled to depart. At 31 days notification we received 95% back (less the cost of the Platinum Policy- at the time $99.00), on our credit card. No questions asked and no paperwork or medical records required (maybe an email confirmation of the cancelation). At 30 days and closer to departure it would have been a 90% refund. And, if we had purchased air through the cruise line it too would have been covered with a 95% refund at 31 days cancelation.

The plan can get very expensive since it is based on trip cost and not age, but that is an advantage to many older passengers.

I always make it a point to stress to people that HAL's coverage really is cancellation insurance and not medical. They only cover $10,000 and that is a pitifully low amount. It is not coverage anyone should write if they do not have other medical insurance that will pay outside their country.

IMO

Just a week ago, we wanted to book a cruise that is about 18 months out. We could not book it because the insurance we want to book will not write a policy that far in advance. If we don't book within the required set number of days after our first deposit for the cruise, we will not have pre-existing condition converage. Therefore, we will wait to book the cruise at a later date.

What about CSA Freestyle? We have used it multiple times, and can pay at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. You also do not have to cover the full amount of your vacation.

You can see all the CSA Freestyle plan details here:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

Travel Guard has a policy that will medivac you to the hospital of your choice and it can also be paid at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions, but looks like the cost goes up the closer you get to the trip.

You can see all the My Travel Guard plan details here: http://www.FlexibleTravelinsurance.com

I got another real generic answer back from Travelex -- they are (understandably) reluctant to anything in writing. So I called the customer service number and spoke to Calvin. I asked him basically those same two questions.

He says that if I can pay the hospital/doctor bill either through credit cards and/or my bank accounts I am expected to do that. They will help in getting credit card limits raised and coordinate with my bank to get a wire transfer from my account(s) to the hospital. I would submit the documentation and claim forms when I got home for reimbursement.

If I CAN"T come up with the funds to pay the bill, either to get admitted or released, Travelex can guarantee payment to the hospital for whatever portion of the bill I can't pay -- up to the policy limit of course.

So there you go. Two calls to Travelex and two apparently different answers, the one above and this one:

"I have spoken with Travelex and they have assured me that if one of us winds up in a foreign hospital, all I have to do is request that they pay the bill and they will."

Travelex Customer Service:

Phone:

1-800-228-9792

(8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST, Monday – Friday)

Ask for Calvin.

Sounds kind of iffy to me. I just can't see them paying any money until they know it is a legitimate claim. But maybe I'm too pessimistic. I know even with medical here in the us, the companies want to pre approve treatments and they don't have nearly as many exclusions.

Thank you for posting what you were told.

• 4 weeks later...

Confused about pre-existing condition. If you don't have a pre-exisiting condition, would you still buy the insurance in the 14-day period after deposit is paid?

Also what do they consider a pre-exisitng condition?

I have booked with AAA and they use Allianze for travel insurance. I have to contact AAA is a few days about the insurance for our Baltic cruise in May 2013.

Also when insuring just the cruise, do you include the port charges and gov't fees?

Has anyone just insured the cruise and not the air fare?

Thanks for your help. Carol

Confused about pre-existing condition. If you don't have a pre-exisiting condition, would you still buy the insurance in the 14-day period after deposit is paid? Pre existing condition also applies to immediate family members who are not traveling with you. Such as parents, grandparents, etc.

Also what do they consider a pre-exisitng condition?

I have booked with AAA and they use Allianze for travel insurance. I have to contact AAA is a few days about the insurance for our Baltic cruise in May 2013.

Also when insuring just the cruise, do you include the port charges and gov't fees?Most insurance companies require that you cover your ENTIRE trip (to include air and hotels) if you are purchasing a plan with pre existing conditions coverages.

Has anyone just insured the cruise and not the air fare?

Thanks for your help. Carol

Hope this helps

Archived