USD in Vancouver??

I will arrive to Vancouver, and only need about $60 while in the city, until I board the cruiseship.

This will be for the SkyTrain or a taxi.

Will the SkyTrain or a taxi accept US dolllars??

I have searched these boards and cannot find an answer.

Can I expect a Welcome Desk at YVR to assist me in my travels?

That would be great!

TIA

Yes, almost all retailers and services including taxis in Vancouver will accept US currency. Just about the only one the only one that won't is the transit system which includes the Canada Line from the airport into the city, however the ticket machines will accept most US credit cards and ATM cards. I would advise you to keep your bills small as you will very likely receive your change in Canadian funds.

I will arrive to Vancouver, and only need about $60 while in the city, until I board the cruiseship.

This will be for the SkyTrain or a taxi.

Will the SkyTrain or a taxi accept US dolllars??

I have searched these boards and cannot find an answer.

Can I expect a Welcome Desk at YVR to assist me in my travels?

That would be great!

Skytrain will take credit/debit cards, but not US$ cash. Welcome desk at YVR will point you in the right direction.

Yes, almost all retailers and services including taxis in Vancouver will accept US currency. Just about the only one the only one that won't is the transit system which includes the Canada Line from the airport into the city, however the ticket machines will accept most US credit cards and ATM cards. I would advise you to keep your bills small as you will very likely receive your change in Canadian funds.

This is.correct.

Keith

Official government agencies are supposed to be precluded from accepting foreign currency because it is not legal tender in this country. Credit cards are processed in CAD and therefore are accepted. Any card with a Visa/MC logo are credit cards in Canada, even if it says "debit" on it. Debit cards in Canada have no Visa/MC logo and have an Interac symbol of NYCE symbol for American cards. They will be processed as credit cards and accepted at ATMs. (At ATMs they would like normal ATM cards.)

(Visa/MC are precluded from the debit card business because of anti-trust.) You need a 4 digit PIN for ATMs in Canada. And if your credit card has a chip (as a few are starting to get in the US) make sure that you have a PIN set.

Official government agencies are supposed to be precluded from accepting foreign currency because it is not legal tender in this country. Credit cards are processed in CAD and therefore are accepted. Any card with a Visa/MC logo are credit cards in Canada, even if it says "debit" on it. Debit cards in Canada have no Visa/MC logo and have an Interac symbol of NYCE symbol for American cards. They will be processed as credit cards and accepted at ATMs. (At ATMs they would like normal ATM cards.)

(Visa/MC are precluded from the debit card business because of anti-trust.) You need a 4 digit PIN for ATMs in Canada. And if your credit card has a chip (as a few are starting to get in the US) make sure that you have a PIN set.

Interesting as I was surprised to see that our BC government liquor stores accept US currency and their cash registers have the current exchange rate and calculate the change in Canadian funds...but we are a bit strange out here on the left coast.;) However, I have never tried to use US currency at a Canadian Post Office, I may go down tomorrow and ask them.

This is.correct.

Keith

Has anyone tried the new loonies and toonies at the transit ticket kiosks? They don't work in parking meters. We ran out of quarters today and I had to do the pay by phone option.

VIv

They are starting to get them converted - when I was using the system on Friday to take visitors to Grouse I did notice some machines with a sign saying new coins accepted - that would have been either Waterfront or Burrard St.

Our laundry company has over 10,000 machines to re-calibrate and as is usually the case there's is always more important than the other guy even if they phoned in days earlier - thzankfully it wasn't a big problem for us as we recently switched m ost of our machines to a smart card.

Cheers

Dennis

American Express is also accepted at most places though not at the same level of coverage as Visa or Master Card. Dinner's less so now that Canadian cards have MC numbers. Discover and JCB in very limited.

Has anyone tried the new loonies and toonies at the transit ticket kiosks? They don't work in parking meters. We ran out of quarters today and I had to do the pay by phone option.

VIv

Depends on the meter. I have seen new Skytrain machines saying "New Coins Accepted"

American Express is also accepted at most places though not at the same level of coverage as Visa or Master Card. Dinner's less so now that Canadian cards have MC numbers. Discover and JCB in very limited.

Diner's Club North America is actually owned by BMO. I assume therefore that all of them will eventually be MC logo and number. Discover is generally accepted by tourist traps, the same goes for JCB and Union Pay (China).

I haven't really noticed the new loonie, but then again, I haven't been looking for it, either. I usually get rid of my coins at the self-check-out at the supermarket. I put every coin that I own in and then pay the rest by CC, so I have no coins left. Better than coinstar. I guess I have to pay better attention. Sometimes I wonder if the only reason we change coin designs in Canada is so we can put a new more decrepit picture of the queen on the back.

Well I stopped in at the Sechelt Post Office on my way home from the golf club this afternoon and to my surprise the Canada Post Office does take US currency. They will not take a note larger than $50, their cash registers calculate the exchange rate and change is given in Canadian funds.

Now this sure beats the US Post Office in Fort Mohave, AZ where I stood this winter having purchased $8.46 in postage and the clerk kept sliding my penny back to me. Finally "I said it charge is $8.46 and that's the penny" to which she replied, "sir, that is a Canadian penny".

Just imagine if a Canadian retailer did that here in Canada - the person would probably phone FOX news and make an international incident out of it. O'Reilly or Hannity would have a field day.

Cheers

Dennis

Just imagine if a Canadian retailer did that here in Canada - the person would probably phone FOX news and make an international incident out of it. O'Reilly or Hannity would have a field day.

Cheers

Dennis

Well one of the funny things is that I am very careful about taking all my Canadian money and putting it aside for when we return home...so I picked up the penny in change while down there....the blighters.

What's a fox news :D

It's something that my AZ neighbours & friends watch instead of the Communist News Network.

Just because you are the biggest doesn't mean you are the best.

PD - I was wondering about how you got the penny and you confirm what I thought.

Is that Post office government run or a local operator - we all know how government workers are sticklers for enforcing rules and unlike an elastic band have no flexibility.

Cheers

Dennis

Is that Post office government run or a local operator - we all know how government workers are sticklers for enforcing rules and unlike an elastic band have no flexibility.

Cheers

Dennis

The post office in Fort Mohave is definitely a US Post Office and the one here in Sechelt is Canada Post.

Love the Fox. Honest & unafraid of the New World Order.

Quite frankly I don't care for either Fox News or CNN both have their own political agendas and I find myself laughing at both as it is so obvious .

Love the Fox. Honest & unafraid of the New World Order.

Fox, Honest; don't see that too often in the same line.

Personally I'd pick Al Jazeera (cable 513 on Shaw here in metro Vancouver) over Fox.

Archived