Snorkling and ears

I am major issues with with my ears. Due to Meniere's disease and Otosclarosis I am almost completely deaf in my right ear... I do have problems with balance.

My question is... how deep do you have to go when snorkling? Since I had my surgery I have not been swimming in deep water so I am a bit concerned. I am thinking this might not be something for me.

I am major issues with with my ears. Due to Meniere's disease and Otosclarosis I am almost completely deaf in my right ear... I do have problems with balance.

My question is... how deep do you have to go when snorkling? Since I had my surgery I have not been swimming in deep water so I am a bit concerned. I am thinking this might not be something for me.

You really don't have to go very deep when snorkeling. Many people (especially novices) go just below the surface of the water. Experienced snorkelers may go deeper. You should probably consult with your doctor about using some type of ear plugs when snorkeling or swimming under water.

There is no "have to go" involved, you're the boss. You can choose to simply float at the surface with your face in the water, or to dive down to whatever depth you're comfortable with. Almost all of the places I've been snorkeling on cruise trips the reefs are within 15-20 feet of the surface and usually probably half that so the view from the surface isn't too bad...

You only have to stick your face in the water. The top of your head will be on the surface so you will be ok. Just don't dive down and you will be all right and also get wax plugs though in case water entry might be a problem.

I'm deaf. I snorkel. I wear a life vest as an assist. I move okay when swimming/moving but get "heavy legs" floating in fresh water. I do try to practice floating in a land based pool before cruising/snorkeling, just to get a bit more comfortable. I do float reasonably well in th eocaen. Biggest issue is when I surface as the guide is trying to speak and I can't hear him/her. Some people swear by the swim plugs for ears.

But like others have said, just do the surface snorkel and only go as deep as you're comfortable.

My husband has hearing loss in both ears due to overdose of gentamicin when he was born. He gets really bad ear infections frequently, and also has to deal with bouts of vertigo from time to time.

We snorkeled in Grand Turk and HMC last year - I couldn't get him out of the water if my life depended on it. He didn't have any issues whatsoever.

Archived