skagway to emerald lake drive

usaspire

Hello again. We will be renting a car and doing the drive from skagway to emerald lake.

I am planning on buying murray's guide to help us out.

What are some fun things we can do along the drive/way besdies driving and making frequent stops?

Also, can we drive into Yukon during this drive?

Hello again. We will be renting a car and doing the drive from skagway to emerald lake.

What are some fun things we can do along the drive/way besdies driving and making frequent stops?

I do not know how to multi-quote:

Murray's Guide: Highly recommended;

Fun things: "Fun?" things. Not really IMO. Enjoy the scenery and take lots of pictures;

Yukon: Sure.You can go to Whitehorse if you have the time. You won't tho.

Murrary's guide was a great help. My wife read and videoed as I drove. Lots of people like getting photos at the Yukon sign. We went out to Emerald Lake, did a horseback riding excursion, stopped at the Cinnamon Cache Cafe for some warm cinnamon buns, the Carcross desert, then Carcross itself for a look around the General Store and some ice cream:) We saw a lot of mountain goats heading in both directions. We didn't see any bears, but others on our cruise did. The views, no surprise, are beautiful. Enjoy!

L.J.

We enjoyed our drive and followed the guide. We had a jeep with 4WD...and a CB Radio...so we ventured off some side roads and explored. Yes, bring your passports. There is also a coffee shop in skagway that makes sandwiches to go so we picked some up and had a picnic lunch at Emerald Lake. We enjoyed it so much that we are going to do it again when we go back to Alaska next year.

Emerald lake is in the Yukon territory. You can go there if you have passports.

Murrary's guide was a great help. My wife read and videoed as I drove. Lots of people like getting photos at the Yukon sign. We went out to Emerald Lake, did a horseback riding excursion, stopped at the Cinnamon Cache Cafe for some warm cinnamon buns, the Carcross desert, then Carcross itself for a look around the General Store and some ice cream:) We saw a lot of mountain goats heading in both directions. We didn't see any bears, but others on our cruise did. The views, no surprise, are beautiful. Enjoy!

L.J.

The Cinnamon cache is closed.

Caribou Crossing is worth a stop. Cheap Sled Dog cart ride. Nice museum, also the desert is worth a stop. :)

We followed Murray's Guide and made frequent stops. Some of my favorites included a beautiful lake, the Yukon sign, and the suspension bridge (where I was able to pick wild blueberries). We also enjoyed the tiny desert and Emerald Lake itself. We did not see much wildlife except for eagles. We did spot bear tracks at Emerald Lake--down by the shore of it, not the scenic overlook area.

We are also renting a car (Green Jeep) in Skagway. We will be picked up at 8:00 a.m. Our ship departs at 4:00 p.m. so we plan on returning the jeep by 3:00 p.m. Is 7 hours enough to get to Emerald Lake and back with stops along the way?

some pictures from our trip in 2010 (same time of year)

Also, an excerpt from our review of the Pearl below

Day 3 - Skagway

The ship docked in Skagway well ahead of the scheduled time and they were letting people off the ship before 7am. This eliminated the crowds like we had in Juneau and people were coming and going all day with very short waits. The weather was fantastic, sunny and approached 80 degrees.

We rented a van and took the drive to the Yukon with Murray’s guide in hand. We had a great time, there was a lot of snow left but things were starting to thaw out and wild flowers (and a lot of dandelions) were in bloom.

We did see 2 bears as well.

We planned our trip to arrive at Caribou Crossing after 1:30 (Yukon Time) which we were told was when most of the cruise buses started back. Sure enough, while there were a number of buses when we arrived, they were all on their way out. We had the place almost to ourselves.

We had a quick lunch and then did the dog sled ride with Michelle Phillips before finishing the trip to Emerald Lake and back. We were in no hurry, stopped regularly and total time was about 8 hours, but it could have been quicker with less stops.

After returning to Skagway and some quick shopping, we went back to the ship with no lines to deal with.

We are also renting a car (Green Jeep) in Skagway. We will be picked up at 8:00 a.m. Our ship departs at 4:00 p.m. so we plan on returning the jeep by 3:00 p.m. Is 7 hours enough to get to Emerald Lake and back with stops along the way?

5 hours is the usual transit time. It is 150 miles round trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the cruise. We rented a green jeep and we were picked up at 8:00. We drove all the way to Emerald Lake. We returned back to Skagway around 1:30 and drove the jeep to the shopping area. We filled the jeep with gas. THere is only one gas pump in Skagway, THe price was $4.98 a gallon. It was a great experience. We enjoyed driving on our own. THey packed an ice chest with water, soft drinks and some snacks. We also drove down the Dyea trail, but it was nothing special. THe drive down the Klondike Highway was breathtaking.

We also drove down the Dyea trail, but it was nothing special. .

This is a very scenic area, with frequent wildlife sightings. Great hiking if you go to the end of the road at the Dyea site. Also a stop by the Slide Cementary could be of interest, along with seeing the Chilkoot trailhead.

Could be of interest, with time.

Archived