Istanbul restaurant for dinner

blackcatcruises

I will be traveling on Oceania's Black Sea Seranade cruise that ends in Istanbul on July 16. I have visited Istanbul before and eaten at Cezayir in Beyoglu but want to go to a different Turkish/Ottoman cuisine restaurant, preferably with a view, for dinner. We get into Istanbul on a Monday (the day Aya Sofya is closed!) and I am arranging a private car through my travel agent so I can go anywhere that afternoon and evening. I will be by myself unless I meet up with another cruiser who wants to share the car.

I've looked on Zagat, in some guide books, and talked with friends re a very good restaurant. I'm thinking about Teras, on top of the Armada Hotel in Sultanahmet or Mikla, on top of the Marmara Pera hotel in Beyoglu.

Any comments or suggestions??

I will be traveling on Oceania's Black Sea Seranade cruise that ends in Istanbul on July 16. I have visited Istanbul before and eaten at Cezayir in Beyoglu but want to go to a different Turkish/Ottoman cuisine restaurant, preferably with a view, for dinner. We get into Istanbul on a Monday (the day Aya Sofya is closed!) and I am arranging a private car through my travel agent so I can go anywhere that afternoon and evening. I will be by myself unless I meet up with another cruiser who wants to share the car.

I've looked on Zagat, in some guide books, and talked with friends re a very good restaurant. I'm thinking about Teras, on top of the Armada Hotel in Sultanahmet or Mikla, on top of the Marmara Pera hotel in Beyoglu.

Any comments or suggestions??

mikla-restaurant.jpg

Mikla cannot be beaten for a "we are on top of the World" pre or post dinner drink, but although it is elegant, I don't love the food there.

I'd suggest Poseidon, for its' incomparable seafood and fantastic selection of Turkish Wines. Be sure to ask for a table on the deck.

http://www.poseidonbebek.com/

lacivert.jpg There is something about dining with the Bosphorus lapping at your feet which

makes me feel positively Ottoman.

sultan.jpg Don't miss the Seaweed.......honestly!

Amedros in the Sultanahmet. We ate there two nights in a row, something we never do, because the food was so good (the best food we had on our Oceania cruise), as was the service. It doesn't have a view, but you can sit at an outside table and watch the people go by, which is often more interesting than pretty scenery.

What fantastic timing on this question! I was just pondering WHERE oh where my hubby and I would eat dinners on our 2 nights prior to embarkation.

We land on a Wed about 5pm and I know we'll be eating in the Sultanhamet area Thur night. We are staying at the RC in the Taksim region so we were counting on something close by for that first night Wed. However, with only a 20 minutes ride to get to Poseidon and with the description I think it is going to be the winner for us. Their website doesn't have an "English" button, so they may not appreciate me attempting to converse with them via their "Rezervasyon" link. :D

Is this the method any of you have used for the reservation. Also, if landing at 5pm, would it be enough time to say 8pm reservation? Having landed, gotten the visa stamp, collected bags, taxi to hotel and check in and change and THEN taxi to Poseidon?

Side note, I hope I'm not being completely unrealistic that my DH and I will actually feel human enough to eat out in public, following a loooong flight? Tell me if you think that's a bad idea as this will be my longest day of travel thus far.:confused:

What fantastic timing on this question! I was just pondering WHERE oh where my hubby and I would eat dinners on our 2 nights prior to embarkation.

We land on a Wed about 5pm and I know we'll be eating in the Sultanhamet area Thur night. We are staying at the RC in the Taksim region so we were counting on something close by for that first night Wed. However, with only a 20 minutes ride to get to Poseidon and with the description I think it is going to be the winner for us. Their website doesn't have an "English" button, so they may not appreciate me attempting to converse with them via their "Rezervasyon" link. :D

Is this the method any of you have used for the reservation. Also, if landing at 5pm, would it be enough time to say 8pm reservation? Having landed, gotten the visa stamp, collected bags, taxi to hotel and check in and change and THEN taxi to Poseidon?

Side note, I hope I'm not being completely unrealistic that my DH and I will actually feel human enough to eat out in public, following a loooong flight? Tell me if you think that's a bad idea as this will be my longest day of travel thus far.:confused:

I would suggest that you contact the Concierge of your Hotel and have him make the Poseidon reservation for you, but remember that people tend to eat later in Istanbul, so you could certainly get away with making a dinner reservation for ten or eleven if you wanted to take a nap at the hotel before dinner.

We did the Black sea crusie 5 yrs ago.Stayed at the Swissotel and had dinner in the Sky Restaurant on the roof of the hotel the 3 nights we where there.The view is the best I think In Istanbul. It overlooks the 3 corners of the Bosphorus. You will also see the ship docked in the harbor.Very sophistacated restaurant very upscale, great for people watching while you eat and the view is fantastic.The food is the best and u get free swiss chocalate after dinner lol

Good idea about the concierge JimandStan, not sure why I haven't bothered them already?! And, a short nap is probably a good idea to keep us on the new time zone once we land. Cuts down on my homicidal feelings anyway. :D

Acrusa - your suggestion sounds wonderful as well!

We thoroughly enjoyed the Galata Tower where there is a wonderful dinner show and great 360 deg. views. Lovely seeing the ships in port.

There was another couple traveling with us, and he had been there on business and had really enjoyed it, so we went and had a fabulous time.

Our neighbor travels by herself, and she inquired at the Hyatt where they told her they did not book dinners there. She said it had been recommended; made her own reservations; was picked up by the Galata Tower staff; and had a wonderful dinner and show. She informed the Concierge, who made a note of that.

They put the flags of your country on the tables. Really neat.

Give it a try. Left a lot of great memories of our visit to Istanbul.

I heartily recommend Mikla for an incredible view, great contemporary Turkish cuisine and good service. Be sure and book a table on the terrace to take advantage of that view.

Thank you so much for the input! Looking forward to it.

We did the Black sea cruise 5 yrs ago. Stayed at the Swissotel and had dinner in the Sky Restaurant on the roof of the hotel the 3 nights we where there. The view is the best I think In Istanbul. It overlooks the 3 corners of the Bosphorus. You will also see the ship docked in the harbor.Very sophisticated restaurant very upscale, great for people watching while you eat and the view is fantastic.The food is the best and u get free swiss chocalate after dinner lol

I was reluctant to chime in with a recommendation as old as ours, but I'm encouraged ... of course, I'm talking 12 years ago, not five!

But on our Renaissance cruise on the brand-new R5 (now Nautica), our cruise included a 3 day stay in Taksim at the Ceylan Intercontinental (not far fromn the Swissotel as I recall). It was not the most convenient location since it required a lot of cabs into the tourist sites. But they had a beautiful restaurant on the top of the building and we did have a lovely dinner there. I don't know if it's as good as it was then but it might well be. Beautiful view and delicious food.

No, I wouldn't recommend going there if you are staying in Sultanahmet, but if you are in Taksim it could be worth a visit.

Mura

• 4 months later...

Archived