PH3 or PH2

muddsmom

This will be our third cruise ever and we are in our mid 60's. Our last cruise was in 1998 on the Grand Princess and was not a good experience. We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary in 2014 and are in the planning stages for the May Aegean Gems cruise on the Riviera.

Since we have so much time to plan, I would like your advice regarding the differences for a PH3, Deck 10 vs PH2, Deck 11. We are leaning towards the PH2 aft, towards the bow, but wonder if it is worth the difference in price? We are well traveled, but not to cruising, so hoping to learn as much as we can from this experienced board, which I love.

From now on, I'll be reading everything written here.

Sharon

This will be our third cruise ever and we are in our mid 60's. Our last cruise was in 1998 on the Grand Princess and was not a good experience. We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary in 2014 and are in the planning stages for the May Aegean Gems cruise on the Riviera.

Since we have so much time to plan, I would like your advice regarding the differences for a PH3, Deck 10 vs PH2, Deck 11. We are leaning towards the PH2 aft, towards the bow, but wonder if it is worth the difference in price? We are well traveled, but not to cruising, so hoping to learn as much as we can from this experienced board, which I love.

Sharon

Me too, Sharon! We just booked our first ever Oceania cruise on Riviera, and chose a PH3 on deck 10. But "aft" is at the stern, not the bow. I picked the lowest deck, and the most central cabin I could find, neither forward or aft, for stability-sake. We could have had an aft-facing PH3 on deck 7, but shied away from that since we're on a crossing and I'm worried about movement.

Me too, Sharon! We just booked our first ever Oceania cruise on Riviera, and chose a PH3 on deck 10. But "aft" is at the stern, not the bow. I picked the lowest deck, and the most central cabin I could find, neither forward or aft, for stability-sake. We could have had an aft-facing PH3 on deck 7, but shied away from that since we're on a crossing and I'm worried about movement.

Guess you all can see how inexperienced I am with ships.....LOL Thanks for the correction..so embarrassing.

I know exactly what you mean about the movement. I have terrible motion sickness and have always made sure our cabin was low and in the middle on the past two ships The PH2's are on either end of deck 11, so figured I would take my chance if we go that route, thinking the front might be better than the back? If I were doing a crossing, I would definitely pick a cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower deck.

Sharon

Sharon

99% of the time, I would say whether it is a PH2 or PH3 would make little difference. However, after just completing the maiden voyage of Riviera in a PH2 on Deck 11, I will say that very occasionally, the overhang of Deck 12 above the balconies on Deck 11 may make a difference. In our case, it was as we sailed into the Montenegro "fjords" enroute to Kotor; we were unable to get good photos on the tops of the mpountains as we passed close by. For this reason alone, we might be prone to try a PH3 on Deck 10 rather than a PH1 or PH2.

We also would rather be in the middle of the ship or further back, as the chance of a "pitching" movement (up and down) is greater at the bow (front) if there are rough seas, and it is this pitching movement that affects me the most. In this case, a PH1, almost exactly in the middle of the ship, is best, as that location has the least up and down motion (to illustrate, hold a pencil in the middle and tiwist it like a baton -- the ends move the furtherest). In my experience, the bow moves further than the stern.

If the "rolling" motion (side to side) is what affects you the most, you should want to get as low in the ship as possible -- the top decks roll the furtherest. Therefore, in rough seas, the Ocean View cabins (low and in the middle of the ship) are the best -- but there are only a few of them, and they go very fast. You almost have to book them within the first 15 minutes after the bookings open.

All this is mostly unimportant, as rough seas don't last forever. We just enjoyed 20 days of almost flat seas and blue skies every day except one morning in Venice. Remember, the most expensive suites on the ship, the so-called OVO suites (Owners, Vista and Oceania) are either in the very fron or very back, and are almost all high in the ship. You won't go wrong with any cabin you choose.

Sharon

The PH2 suites tend to be a little darker because of the overhang on deck 12. If you book a PH2...You will be on the same deck as the executive lounge.

We were in a PH3 (10028) and loved the location as it was close to the stairs, elevators and centrally located. We booked the same suite for next May. We did use the executive lounge a lot but it wasn't a big deal to go up a flight of stairs.

If you decide to go for a PH2....try to get as close to suites 11018/11021. These suites are more centrally located.

The PH2 suites tend to be a little darker because of the overhang on deck 12. If you book a PH2...You will be on the same deck as the executive lounge.

We were in a PH3 (10028) and loved the location as it was close to the stairs, elevators and centrally located. We booked the same suite for next May. We did use the executive lounge a lot but it wasn't a big deal to go up a flight of stairs.

If you decide to go for a PH2....try to get as close to suites 11018/11021. These suites are more centrally located.

Thanks juli2020. Is there a big difference between the PH2 and PH3? I do see where the overhang might be an issue and one I would not have thought about. Did you hear much noise from the elevators in 10028?

Sharon

Thanks juli2020. Is there a big difference between the PH2 and PH3? I do see where the overhang might be an issue and one I would not have thought about. Did you hear much noise from the elevators in 10028?

Sharon

Sharon,

We heard no noise at all.

PH2 Suites on deck 11 and PH3 Suites on deck 10 are the same size.

A glance at the deck plans on most new ships will verify that the most expensive suites are aft on the fantail. Not always but consistant enough for my point. Oceania owner suites are no exception This is not by accident but design. For me it is the wake view and why I choose this location; the ride is stable and passageway foot traffic is low. Our first O trip will be in PH3 with extended veranada. Wouldn't trade for any other location..others will disagree. Some will complain about thruster noise in port but for me that confirms I am at sea and I am listening to a working heart of

a living ship. :cool:

For me it is the wake view and why I choose this location; the ride is stable and passageway foot traffic is low. Our first O trip will be in PH3 with extended veranada. Wouldn't trade for any other location..others will disagree. Some will complain about thruster noise in port but for me that confirms I am at sea and I am listening to a working heart of

a living ship. :cool:

I assume you are talking about 7130 or 7135 on Deck 7? I thought I was all set for one of those, but the TA I talked to couldn't assure me that we would have a butler. Do you know if that is true? I can't reserve a cabin until this August or September when the new schedule comes out, thus my trying to figure out exactly what I want. I want her to grab the very best cabin as soon as they receive their cabin choices. I also felt watching the wake would be fun, but then backed away because of not having a butler. I'm not even sure it's that important, although having someone make reservations for us seems nice.

I'm wondering if I would be better off working directly with Oceania.

Sharon

99% of the time, I would say whether it is a PH2 or PH3 would make little difference. However, after just completing the maiden voyage of Riviera in a PH2 on Deck 11, I will say that very occasionally, the overhang of Deck 12 above the balconies on Deck 11 may make a difference. In our case, it was as we sailed into the Montenegro "fjords" enroute to Kotor; we were unable to get good photos on the tops of the mpountains as we passed close by. For this reason alone, we might be prone to try a PH3 on Deck 10 rather than a PH1 or PH2.

We also would rather be in the middle of the ship or further back, as the chance of a "pitching" movement (up and down) is greater at the bow (front) if there are rough seas, and it is this pitching movement that affects me the most. In this case, a PH1, almost exactly in the middle of the ship, is best, as that location has the least up and down motion (to illustrate, hold a pencil in the middle and tiwist it like a baton -- the ends move the furtherest). In my experience, the bow moves further than the stern.

If the "rolling" motion (side to side) is what affects you the most, you should want to get as low in the ship as possible -- the top decks roll the furtherest. Therefore, in rough seas, the Ocean View cabins (low and in the middle of the ship) are the best -- but there are only a few of them, and they go very fast. You almost have to book them within the first 15 minutes after the bookings open.

All this is mostly unimportant, as rough seas don't last forever. We just enjoyed 20 days of almost flat seas and blue skies every day except one morning in Venice. Remember, the most expensive suites on the ship, the so-called OVO suites (Owners, Vista and Oceania) are either in the very fron or very back, and are almost all high in the ship. You won't go wrong with any cabin you choose.

Don, Thank you for all your seasoned advice. We are sailing in the fall and considering splurging on a vista suite. After reading your post, I am wondering if that is a good idea with the movement issues. All the Vistas are forward, if you were to choose which Vista suite would be the best location between the 8th and 12th deck (the deck sizes vary) which would you choose? Thank you very much.

I assume you are talking about 7130 or 7135 on Deck 7? I thought I was all set for one of those, but the TA I talked to couldn't assure me that we would have a butler. Do you know if that is true? I can't reserve a cabin until this August or September when the new schedule comes out, thus my trying to figure out exactly what I want. I want her to grab the very best cabin as soon as they receive their cabin choices. I also felt watching the wake would be fun, but then backed away because of not having a butler. I'm not even sure it's that important, although having someone make reservations for us seems nice.

Sharon

You frighten me when you tell me that you are dealing with a Travel Agent who knows so little about Oceania. EVERY PENTHOUSE SUITE HAS A BUTLER, period, no exceptions.

Giving advice about Travel agents is a no no on Cruise Critic, but if you read the forum regularly, you will soon begin to "read between the lines" and see what everyone else is doing (and why).

Good luck with your planning and remember that Getting there IS half the fun!

yes...it is a shame CC censors even helpful advice regarding travel agents. I even had one post deleted because I had offered help. But no matter any TA not knowing the immediate answer to your butler question should viewed with a raised eyebrow.

Sharon

Sharon, I wish I were but both are taken. Next best thing was 7133 and I was surprised it was still available. However, I check and check and check and will pounce should either open.

Ron:cool:

yes...it is a shame CC censors even helpful advice regarding travel agents. I even had one post deleted because I had offered help. But no matter any TA not knowing the immediate answer to your butler question should viewed with a raised eyebrow.

Thank you and that is exactly what my feelings were and why I came here. Even though my trip is two years away, I'm meticulous in my planning for any of our trips, land or sea and I'm beginning to feel like I'm asking them too many questions and becoming a nuisance to this TA. Because we do so much land travel, my main concern is my lack of knowledge and how much the differences in cabins and other things are costing and whether my decisions are the right ones for us. Cruising is not something I'm that familiar with and I don't want to make a mistake, especially when it's such a special event for us. I feel 40 years is worth a very special event and I want it to be perfect. I've spoken to someone at Oceania and they are very helpful, but she did tell me that sometimes, TA's will offer some things they can't, so I reached out to someone I know has a great deal of experience with this cruise line.

Thanks to all of you for your help. There is nothing like experience and I know this is where I will find the best.

Sharon

Sharon,

As you weave through Oceania threads the complete tapestry will become apparent. I have only been scanning for two weeks and find the answers intelligent. Your audiance is sophisticated and knowledgeable of the product.

Good luck on your two year odyssey; You certainly are well on your way.

Aloha,

Ron:cool:

We were in 10030 and also loved the location..would take that cabin again in a heartbeat!!

Jancruz1

If you hit rough seas and are near the bow (front) you will feel lots of movement and in Vista, when the ship comes down you will hear and feel the ship hitting the water. Every ship is like this.

If you hit rough seas and are near the bow (front) you will feel lots of movement and in Vista, when the ship comes down you will hear and feel the ship hitting the water. Every ship is like this.

Also you hear the anchor if you are forward..

Jancruz1

True. I was going to comment on that. The one thing I like about the bow is the rattle of the anchor chain decending to the bottom. What music! The bow can be a great spot for bow watching (unlike the phony Titanic movie). Once on American Hawaii Cruises Constitution my wife and I went as far forward as possible to watch the bow bury into 18 foot ground swells and white water hidding the bow peak. What a sight! Eighteen hours of The Sea. Now she rest at the bottom 600 miles north of Oahu after sinking in tow to the breakers.

"GIVE ME A SHIP AND A STAR TO STEER HER:cool: BY..."

True. I was going to comment on that. The one thing I like about the bow is the rattle of the anchor chain decending to the bottom. What music! The bow can be a great spot for bow watching (unlike the phony Titanic movie). Once on American Hawaii Cruises Constitution my wife and I went as far forward as possible to watch the bow bury into 18 foot ground swells and white water hidding the bow peak. What a sight! Eighteen hours of The Sea. Now she rest at the bottom 600 miles north of Oahu after sinking in tow to the breakers.

"GIVE ME A SHIP AND A STAR TO STEER HER:cool: BY..."

One of my Pet Peeves are these "delicate flowers" who say that they love cruising and then go on to dislike everything about actually being on a ship.

No offense, but if you want everything to be exactly like a hotel room at the Ritz Carlton, then book the Ritz Carlton.

Naturally, there is going to be some motion when the ship is at sea (although the Mediterranean was so calm this year that I don't think that I ever got my proper sea legs, even in 19 days aboard).

Still, if you insist on lawns, and shopping malls, and skating rinks, and rock climbing walls.......

Central_Park.jpgship2.jpg

oasis_of_the_seas_8.jpg

I assume you are talking about 7130 or 7135 on Deck 7? I thought I was all set for one of those, but the TA I talked to couldn't assure me that we would have a butler. Do you know if that is true?...

First of all, as Jim stated, every penthouse has a butler, and 7130/7135 are penthouses. Get a new TA, as fast as you can! I can't say who on Cruise Critic, one of the best has already responded to your thread, and no, it's not me or Jim, we're not travel agents. A GOOD agent, familiar with Oceania, is ALWAYS better than working directly with Oceania, in my opinion. The answers you get from Oceania representatives are sometimes no better than the answer you got from your TA.

Now, having said that, a word about 7130/7135. Friends of ours had 7135 on the Maiden Voyage, and we spent a couple of early evenings on the deck. Yes, the deck is delightful when sailing away from port. But, there's a trade-off that most don't know about -- those two penthouses are somewhat smaller than the rest of the penthouses, due to the structure of the ship. The closets on all other penthouses are walk-in, and have been praised to the extent that some folks book a penthouse just for the closet. the closets in 7130/7135 are much less deep and are configured differently. While the standard penthouse has a clothes rack for the full width of the closet, about 8 feet or more, 7130/7135 have a clothes rack across the depth of the closet, only about 30" or so. They are still technically a walk-in closet, but only because there are no clothes in front of you when you step in the door.

Next, the distance between the chairs at the foot of the bed and the dressing table opposite is very narrow, comparable to the space between the foot of the bed and the wall in a standard veranda cabin.

The length of the cabin, from the entrance door to the balcony door, is the same as other penthouses. But the width is significantly less, and things are closer together.

Is the trade-off worth the view from the deck? That's got to be a personal decision. The view is stunning when sailing away from a port, but my friends report it is very windy when sailing. There is no door or window on the stern wall of the cabin, so there is no way to get a wake view from inisde the cabin, unlike the Oceania suites on Deck 11, which have a sliding door on the stern wall of the suite.

You make some good points. I had noticed width difference on the deck plans but that is not always accurate. The wind does come as a surprise as I have never had a windy fantail but just the opposite. I also took special note that the veranda door did not open onto the wake view and found no window as you note. The smaller closet would be of no concern but space at foot of bed could. I wonder if you have seen the extended varandas and can approximate their total sq. ft.? I judge it to be between 75 and 100 sg. ft. The possible disadvantage with the extended is the loss of privecy once beyond the above deck overhang. I had this on Princess but it tuned out to be a windfall after by grandson had accidently locked me out and I was able to yell to a gentleman in tux on an upper deck for help. When off Vancouver Island at dinner time this can be a bit uncomfortable.:cool:

Sorry but I briefly feel into the trap of asking others what I can do with a call to O reservations. I must say that O has the numbers for odd sized verandas a fact not shared by Royal Caribbean International and fantail balconies which are not a common size. Princess has this info.

The four PH suites on deck 7 on Marina are identicle in dimensions at 172 sq. ft. The extended B4 catergory is 72 sq. ft. or 32 larger than the normal.

I would have thought the two fantail PH would have been larger but resevations says that is not the case. So bring hoop and basketball for half court game.:cool:

The four PH suites on deck 7 on Marina are identicle in dimensions at 172 sq. ft....

Sorry, you do mean that the *balconies* on those PH suites are 172 sq. ft., right? Not the room, surely.

Does anyone happen to know how Oceania quotes the dimensions of rooms? Do they include that size of the balcony in the suite size, or is that number quoted separately?

Archived