Detroit to Miami

jtdlmc

The fares just opened for our time frame (mid April) and cheapest flight is $240 direct nonstop but the departure flight time going home is too close for my comfort (11:15 and we are Canadian so you never know, there could be a delay with immigration/customs). Next flight is $294 nonstop. Two years ago we paid $244 DTW to TPA. I'm thinking $294 is a pretty good price considering how the price of fuel has risen in the past 2 years. I know they could change the flight times this far in advance but we are flying in 3 days before so that won't be a problem and the flight leaving Miami is at 1:45 and I don't think they would change flight times by more than an hour or so. What do you think?

the flight leaving Miami is at 1:45 and I don't think they would change flight times by more than an hour or so. What do you think?

I think anything is possible, and I would make no assumptions about the limits on possible future flight time changes. While it's unlikely that the flight time would change by several hours, it's always possible that the flight will be cancelled all together.

Having said that, I'd book it. You can't second guess what MIGHT happen, the flight time as it stands today is good, and the price isn't bad. Oh, and I'd book the later flight on the way down.

Found a better arrival time by flying into FLL (and a bit cheaper too) and since we will be spending 3 nights in Hollywood, FLL is a bit closer to our hotel as well. We will still fly our of MIA at 1:45 day of disembark. Thanks for the opinions.

I think anything is possible, and I would make no assumptions about the limits on possible future flight time changes. While it's unlikely that the flight time would change by several hours, it's always possible that the flight will be cancelled all together.

Two years ago we also booked our flight right after the schedule was posted. They did change the flight time by one hour making it leave way too early in the morning, and we were able to switch to a flight time that was even better than our original one. Delta's policy, at least back then, was that if the flight time change was more than 1 hour you could switch to another flight at no charge. If they cancel the flight altogether, they would have to accommodate us on another flight, so I'm not worried about that at all.

Delta's policy, at least back then, was that if the flight time change was more than 1 hour you could switch to another flight at no charge. If they cancel the flight altogether, they would have to accommodate us on another flight, so I'm not worried about that at all.

That is still their policy. And yes, if they cancel they will rebook you on another flight, on a space available basis, so you may or may not end up with a flight schedule you like.

Archived