The best order to visit 3+ sites in Rome

radox1

We will be sailing in 3 days on the Liberty of the Seas. We are wanting to make best use our time in Rome (7am -7pm) and have 4 sites we are definitely wanting to visit.

After reading several threads on this forum I am aware we can easily get into the centre of Rome with a BIRG ticket.

We are wanting to visit:

The colosseum

Fontana di Trevi

St Peter's Square

I am sure we have enough time to visit other sites as well as the above. Any recommendations?

Could anyone recommend a good order to visit the sites and anything we should be aware of?

I noticed this extremely detailed post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518706&highlight=rome but feel following the above tour is a bit to much for one day for us.

Since line ups at St. Peter's Basilica are shorter in the afternoon, I would head to the Colosseum first (follow the directions in the link re getting off at Ostiense station & taking the metro to the Colosseo stop).

Since Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are all fairly close together, you could probably fit all 3 in instead of just Trevi fountain (from the Colosseum you can either walk to the Trevi Fountain, or take the metro to Termini, transfer to line A to Barberini stop and walk to the Trevi fountain from there.)

Here's a map which shows the walking route from Barberini Metro Stop. If you want to see directions for walking from the Colosseum to the Trevi Fountain, just substitute "Colosseum" in (A) on the map.

The walking route on the map takes you all the way to the R. San Pietro train station (for your return trip to Civitavecchia): Map

p.s. I assumed from your post that you aren't planning to visit the Vatican Museums - just St. Peter's Basilica?

I agree with what Susan-M says,but I would walk through the Forum to get to the Colosso.To me that is a great part of Rome.As you walk though keep eyes wide open...Rome is it's best own museum!!! Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your help. We were planning to miss the Vatican, allowing us to have more time for the other sites.

So would it be best to first visit the Colosseum and Forum, then visit the Fountain (and possible the Spanish steps) and finally heading to St Peter's Square?

On the map it doesn't look to much of a walk from the Forum to the Fountain would this be the best way to get there? Also how easy would it be to get back to the ship from St Peter's?

Thanks again,

Ben

Hi Ben,

I think starting at the Colosseum, walking through the Forum to Trevi Fountain is a good idea. I wasn't too impressed with the Spanish Steps and would give a much higher rating to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

S. Pietro Station is on the line between Termini and Civitavecchia ... if you go to Termini to catch the train you'll have a better chance of getting a seat ... which is one of the problems with getting the train at S. Pietro.

I would forget the Spanish steps....... and stick in the Pantheon instead.

The steps are.....well, just steps. But the Pantheon - oh my, so much more !

If you start at the Forum/Coliseum then walk to the Pantheon, then a couple of blocks to Trevi fountain (make sure and throw your coin in !) you could then grab a quick panini or slice of pizza/coke and then head to the Vatican.

At least that is what I would do with the time frame you have.

Also, by walking (since the sites are so close together) you get a better feel of "Romeness" ;) And, if you have a bit of extra time you might even be able to fit in Castel St. Angelo after walking over the gorgeous bridge on the way to the Vatican.

Everything is pretty walkable assuming you have no mobility issues.

Just chirping in, albeit as someone who's never been there. I am doing the same cruise in a couple weeks. Rome is Wednesday on our cruise and I've been reading that the St Peters Bassilica is not open in the am on Wednesdays due to the Pope addressing the crowd. We planned on doing the Colliseum and old Rome sights in the morning and the Vatican in the afternoon for that reason. Maybe someone who knows more can calrify that but I thought I'd share what I thought I learned in doing the same research.

Hi Ben,

I think starting at the Colosseum, walking through the Forum to Trevi Fountain is a good idea. I wasn't too impressed with the Spanish Steps and would give a much higher rating to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

S. Pietro Station is on the line between Termini and Civitavecchia ... if you go to Termini to catch the train you'll have a better chance of getting a seat ... which is one of the problems with getting the train at S. Pietro.

Thanks both for your helo. Does this seem better? New Route

We can both walk no problem :) (in our twenties).

Is it worth getting tickets for the Colosseum? Do you think we will have enough time?

Lastly I have seen mixed information regarding clothes for entrance into areas around Vatican City. Some people state as long as your knees and shoulders are covered you should be OK. Others recommend full length trousers.

I take it I should carry a pair of light trousers in a backpack which I can put on before going in.

:)

You're welcome:)

Yes ... that route looks good. We stayed at a hotel at P. Navona and used the Castel Sant'Angel bridge - map

I think you should get tickets for the Colosseum (you'll need it to walk through the Forum too). Based on what you have planned for the day, you'll have time (assuming that you're aiming for the 8 a.m. train to Rome?) It was my one regret for our DIY Rome port day - that we didn't get into the Colosseum (although we did fit in a guided tour of the Vatican that day, along with seeing the outside of the Colosseum and stops at the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and Pantheon, and we returned for a 3 day visit to Rome a few years later because we loved our port day there so much!) When we did our port day I didn't know about getting off the train at Ostiense & buying tickets at Palatine (both are time-savers).

Once you have your ticket for the Colosseum - the line for ticket holders into the Colosseum is the left one (the right line is for those needing to purchase tickets).

p.s. Scroll down on this page to see the Dress Code info for St. Peter's Basilica - & click on the 'strictly enforced' link to see a picture of what's acceptable (shoulders & knees covered).

I am sure we have enough time to visit other sites as well as the above. Any recommendations?

Could anyone recommend a good order to visit the sites and anything we should be aware of?

In case it helps here are videos of my day in Rome :

St Peter's Basilica

The Colosseum, inc. the Underground tour

Palatine Hill and the Forum

The Pantheon

Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps

The fountain and the steps can be very quick walk-bys if you get tight for time or see something better. All the best, Tony

I agree with Susan....the bridge that goes directly into the Castel St. Angelo is the best one to use....... with Bernini statues along both sides......

As for getting tickets ahead of time...... almost always a good idea.

If you plan on going into St. Peters - you must dress according to their code. The Vatican museums are much more relaxed.

I, personally, could not "roam" Rome in shorts. I just would feel out of place as this is a big vibrant cosmopolitan city - just one with a lot of history :D

Just chirping in, albeit as someone who's never been there. I am doing the same cruise in a couple weeks. Rome is Wednesday on our cruise and I've been reading that the St Peters Bassilica is not open in the am on Wednesdays due to the Pope addressing the crowd. We planned on doing the Colliseum and old Rome sights in the morning and the Vatican in the afternoon for that reason. Maybe someone who knows more can calrify that but I thought I'd share what I thought I learned in doing the same research.

Yes you are right. Our Rome day was a Wednesday & we could not visit St Peter Bassilica as we were there in the morning. Not a mistake I would repeat.:rolleyes:

Your schedule is perfect. Have a wonderful time. ( The geletto was

heavenly :D).

My husband and I did not use the subway that much because it seemed like by the time you walked to get to the station you were supposed to use, you could have already just walked to the site itself. The system is not very well laid out, and I understand that is due to all the antiquities that would be disturbed if they tried to put a more convenient line in.

Yes you are right. Our Rome day was a Wednesday & we could not visit St Peter Bassilica as we were there in the morning. Not a mistake I would repeat.:rolleyes:

Your schedule is perfect. Have a wonderful time. ( The geletto was

heavenly :D).

We are planning to do a Vatican Museum tour on a Wednesday morning, I did not see or read that the Museum is closed on a Wednesday, in fact, I think I read that it's usually a good time to visit as everyone is at St. Peter's Basilica for the papal audience on a Wednesday morning. Hope this is still true!!!

We are planning to do a Vatican Museum tour on a Wednesday morning, I did not see or read that the Museum is closed on a Wednesday, in fact, I think I read that it's usually a good time to visit as everyone is at St. Peter's Basilica for the papal audience on a Wednesday morning. Hope this is still true!!!

The Museum is not closed on Wednesday mornings, but the Basilica may be closed due to the Papal address (if scheduled).

These are two separate places, but both part of the Vatican.

Unfortunately on my iPad I am unable to see your route maps! Can you tell me which bridge is the nicest/ best to cross the river towards St Peters square?

Our plans for June with 2 children on a pre-cruise stay are...

Colosseum

Trevi fountain

Pantheon

Pizza Navona

St Peters square

... but not necessarily in that order!

We are staying near Terminii so we will be coming from that direction.

Due to having the children age 11 and 16 with us we don't want to over do it and will need lots of stops.

Any advice?

Thanks

PGV :)

Unfortunately on my iPad I am unable to see your route maps! Can you tell me which bridge is the nicest/ best to cross the river towards St Peters square?

Our plans for June with 2 children on a pre-cruise stay are...

Colosseum

Trevi fountain

Pantheon

Pizza Navona

St Peters square

... but not necessarily in that order!

We are staying near Terminii so we will be coming from that direction.

Due to having the children age 11 and 16 with us we don't want to over do it and will need lots of stops.

Any advice?

Thanks

PGV :)

I gotta be honest...none of the bridges did that much for me...so I'd just use the most convenient. I haven't crossed them all, but none blew me away. If you're there for more than one day, you've essentially got two lumps of sites: all the stuff around the Colisseum, including the Pantheon, Forum, Piazza Navona, Trevi. Do those in one day. Then make the next day your Vatican Day. While you CAN walk all of this, the stretch from Piazza Navona e.g. to the Vatican is a bit of a haul.

On the other hand, it is actually surprising how much is close to where you're staying. May I also recommend, as you're staying near Termini, a quick stop by the church of St. Peter in Chains. It's very near, and takes five minutes, but you'll see Michaelangelo's Moses, probably his third most famous sculpture (after David and the Pieta [which you'll see in St. Peter's]).

Thanks very much. We really only have one day as we arrive on a late flight and leave again the next morning for Citivecchia. Perhaps it would be best to taxi from Piazza Navona to St Peters? We are not planning on doing a tour of the Vatican - maybe next time! Just a look around to whet our appetites...

PGV

We really only have one day as we arrive on a late flight and leave again the next morning for Citivecchia.

PGV

... with a full day in between your arrival and departure?

I would consider going by taxi to the Colosseum first thing (have your hotel call for a taxi). Or you could take the Metro from Termini to Colosseo stop. It opens at 8:30 - info here

From the Colosseum to the Trevi Fountain is about a 1 mile walk - if it's hot and you want to save your energy, you could take a taxi instead of walking. Then walk from the Trevi to Pantheon to Piazza Navona, and agree that a taxi from there to St. Peter's Basilica would help.

Lines are likely to be the shortest at St. Peter's at the end of the day - it closes at 7 at this time of year. info here

If you're ready to head back to your hotel after your visit to St. Peter's you could take the metro to Termini.

Enjoy your day!:)

This is Bernini's bridge - crosses the Tiber at Castel St. Angelo..... it is like a museum that is a bridge imo........ the angels are each unique......

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/378421/378421,1298403303,3/stock-photo-castel-sant-angelo-and-bernini-s-statue-on-the-bridge-rome-italy-71975371.jpg

the main road to the Vatican goes right along Castel St. Angelo also...... so it is convenient.

As for taxis - there is a taxi stand right at the Pantheon. If you are looking right at it.....look to the right - stand is right there. We used taxis our first trip over since we were limited on time...... fast and not expensive. Worth it when time is an issue.

Agree with Texancruiser ... the Castel St. Angelo Bridge (pedestrians only) is a great one ... actually I liked walking across the Tiber on other bridges too - e.g. going to and from Trastevere. 360 degree photo of St. Angelo Bridge

PGV - be sure that everyone has a water bottle to refill at the drinking fountains ... the water is so good, cold & safe to drink ... and you can make a game out of finding these unique fountains which are all over the historic area of Rome.

Archived