Dinner with the Captain!

LHP

I don't get the attraction. If I was on a train or coach trip, I wouldn't want the driver to sit with me at dinner so why is it considered an honour to sit with the ships captain?

give me a call when you get off the ship - you can stop by & visit (and see my picture of dinner with Captain Rob on the FOS). Just a block north of the waffle house in west Gulfport, near Long Beach. (I think you said DH was from around here?) Also the new Margagritaville just opened tuesday - ah but that wouldn't interest you... :p 6122808270 How is the old girl since her drydock? Sailed her 3 times, last one just before she went in; it was badly needed... :(

Agree I suffered thru it once on celebrity the wife insisted we go! I was like its like going to work,suit,handshake, etc.....I don't even drink wine! Was ok I guess, without billable hours.....

But more power to those who enjoy that sort of thing. I just do it almost daily and it's too much like work and I am on vacation.

Not likely that I'm just going to suck it up........I'm just not a rub shoulders with the big boys kind of person......I'm not impressed by celebrity or wealth or status of any kind.......I would feel awkward at not being dressed appropriatly.....I don't even do elegant evening anymore.........And frankly would consider it more of an interruption than an honor.......

...it's not that I'm not friendly, I really am, and I enjoy talking to other passengers and the crew.......but dining with the captain is considered by most to be an honor.....just not me.

I agree. If I have something in common with the person then I'll do it, if not then I'd politely decline.

Having been ex-military there were a lot of formal events that I used to work on which required specific protocols to be followed. It's not just a go-with-the-flow situation, every aspect is planned out right down to the minute. And then you have to be "seen to be enjoying yourself" every minute of the event - after all it is what the guests expect. The Queen of England might smile all day long at Event #1, #2, #3, #4, etc, but it takes considerable effort to be on-point all day, every day, when you have a headache, a backache, etc. It is not only about smiling repeatedly, it's also about never saying anything negative, being diplomatic, knowing tons of info about different places and peoples, and repeating the same set of facts (about your ship) to the next dinner group at the next event the following evening.

Honestly, I would not want fame or title in any form - too much hassle to be keeping up the facade 24/7.

Several years ago, maybe 2003, I was on the glory out of part Canaveral ( I believe it was her first sailing).

At the fish n chips , there was a very cute little girl, maybe 5 or 6 with her mom sitting at a table next to us. This little girl was speaking Italian, and she said a couple words that I remembered from my childhood that my father spoke.. They were slang words describing food as delicious .

I turned around and said yes I agreed . a conversation was started with mother and I explained that I did not speak Italian, but remembered words from my father about little things in life… dishtowel, worn out things, delicious foods.. things like that.. I was repeating them and she was laughing as I did have them down exactly right. She explained that the words were not grammatically correct but were really tied to a certain dialect , from towns around the almafi coast. We had a great time as I was remembering more and more words. She turned out to be the captain wife, and we did dine with them one night.. nothing stuffy about it and while there was a menu the captained ordered linguini with clams , they were not on the menu but I had them too and after dinner I used the word which I could not begin to spell to say it was delicious.. very nice dinner!

Well, Janey, I'm not Linda (though my GF's name is Linda), but to give you my response to declining this invitation: You don't! Suck it up and just do it if you get it, and that could be a huge if. Do not assume becoming Diamond will throw these invites your way. Heck, I dined at the captain's table on my first ever Celebrity cruise. Why? My wife was Greek, as was the captain, and we had a mutual friend!

Yes, captains come in different shapes, sizes and personalities, but I've always enjoyed my time at the captain's table, even dinner with them in their cabin. It gives you a whole different insight when it comes to cruising.

Seriously, unless you are ill, do not turn it down. It's not the end of the world.

Seriously? Sure it's not "the end of the world", but good grief this is something not everyone would want to do. I know I'm one of them. I enjoy meeting the captain of the ship and having a photo taken, but that would be the extent of my enjoyment. I would not care to have dinner with him and other officers.

Not everyone feels the same as you do about dining with the captain.

Really? Suck it up? I disagree, I would just simply decline politely if it wasn't something I wanted to do.

I agree. Why go sit through a 2 hour dinner with people you don't care to dine with. If you decline, maybe someone that wants the opportunity to do this will get a chance.

I would simply say something along the lines of...while being honored by your request I must politely decline your invitation due to a scheduling conflict and hope you enjoy your dinner and the rest of your evening.

I agree with both of you.

did you ask what the special Diamond invitation from the Captain would be?

Nope....but we did have a ton of wonderful conversation.

Light, breezy and loads of FUN!!!

It lasted 2 hours and the time just flew by. The Chief Purser said she could not remember when they had had a more enjoyable time.

We are currently on the Elation and had dinner with the Captain last night in his private dining room.....very nice.

It was our family of three. (our youngest with Autism will not eat with strangers). Plus two dear friends who booked this cruise to sail with us.

In over 50 cruises, this had never happened and now 2 cruises in a row....

I could get used to this !!

Our Captain is delightful.....

How exciting :D That happened to us on our very first cruise with RCCL on formal night, we got invited to sit at the captain's table.....very nice :D Don't know what we did to get invited but what a memorable experience that was.

Very kewl!

One question - was the food any better than the MDR? Cruised Elation a couple of weeks ago and every night the food, while tasty, was served luke warm.......

The food we ate was good.

But I will say that since we always have a private table for 4, our food always arrives hot.

And I think temperature definately affects the taste.

The chef also sent us Indian food on the last night that was incredible!!!

Linda,

do you think this is what they meant by an invitation from the Captain under the new Diamond Loyalty program?

Sadly no. This was because our 20 year old son is the only Double Milestone under the age of 21 and this was in celebration of that.

Sadly, he is the only family member that could not go. He will not eat with strangers....not even for the Captain.

Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself........I know you and your family are super-milestone cruisers and have received many of these invitations......It's how they should treat all of their super-cruisers.....

My question to you is......what would be the best way to decline an invitation of this kind? This is not something that my sister would ever consider doing and it doesn't interest me too much either, especially if Donna weren't going with me......

I'll be Diamond soon and I guess these offers will be coming our way from now on.

No worries...

As you know, DJ will not eat with strangers.... (not even a Captain) and they certainly understood...it isn't everyone's cup of tea!

Now I can't speak for all Captains, but I can tell you that Captain Gazzano is the COOLEST of the COOL!! He was SO MUCH FUN....a real character. Not stuffy at all....

wow would love to do that. How was the food compared to the DR?

We all LOVE Indian food and they knew that. So they asked us what we wanted and we asked for Indian food. It was incredible.

The Assistant Maitre d' was our waiter. (Henry...you ROCK)

We met for drinks about 30 minutes before the meal in one of the lounges...and then they took us down for dinner.

Any other ships officers there?

Yes. the Staff Captain. Chief Engineer. Chief Purser (or what ever they call it these days). Hotel Director. Cruise Director and and one fellow that was an Assistant "something".

I knew everyone except the Assistant.

give me a call when you get off the ship - you can stop by & visit (and see my picture of dinner with Captain Rob on the FOS). Just a block north of the waffle house in west Gulfport, near Long Beach. (I think you said DH was from around here?) Also the new Margagritaville just opened tuesday - ah but that wouldn't interest you... :p 6122808270 How is the old girl since her drydock? Sailed her 3 times, last one just before she went in; it was badly needed... :(

We would love to get together some time.

We had to drive straight to Jackson this morning when we got off the ship.

My Father In Law is still suffering from a stroke and he has had to go into the VA Rehab....we are not certain he will ever come out.

It is so sad, especially being so soon after we just enjoyed 15 days on the Hawaiian cruise with them.

Yes, hubby was born and raised in Long Beach and we have bought a lot down there right off Highway 90 in Long Beach to build our retirement home. (CONCRETE of course....LOL)

I have to say that we had an absolute BLAST.

Captain Gazzano is a HOOT! I have posted the picture so that you can see....NO suits...NO ties...just kicked back FUN!!!

You have to understand that we have known many of these folks for YEARS.

The Captain is new (only a Captain for about a year, if I remember correctly)...but the rest of the folks we have known for many years....

so it definately was not a "stuffy event"...

and yes, free cocktails, free wine...etc etc etc

but best of all .... GREAT Indian food.

Also, what John Heald has said all these years is true.....

the ONLY way to get invited is by the Captain.... OR some very very very senior person in Corporate....

a Cruise Director (not even John Heald) has any say in the matter....

We had never met this Captain....but he was so impressed that our 20 year old is the only individual to ever make DOUBLE MILESTONE under the age of 21 (according to Corporate)...(and having sailed every ship starting with the Tropicale)....that he wanted to do something special.

But again, sadly, he is the only one who was not comfortable going.

So they gave him a beautiful Canvas picture ( 18 x 30 of the Elation that said....

"Celebrating DJ's 50th Cruise" and the date...and it was signed by the Captain, the Hotel Director, the Cruise Director and the Chief Purser.

And had his picture taking when the Captain presented it to him.

BTW the other 2 fellows not in uniform are two dear friends who booked this cruise to sail with us after they found out we were going. Carnival was kind enough to include them as well.

1654342704_CaptainGazzanosDinner2012Elation.jpg.2986c840269be9853e92e0cee22d61e6.jpg

This picture was taken on the last Sea Day.....

It is kinda hard to read across the top...

"Celebrating DJ's 50th Cruise" May 28 - June 2, 2012

2092829824_DJscanvas.jpg.252fd04b197f372fc4f0b6976d9f99a7.jpg

Not likely that I'm just going to suck it up........I'm just not a rub shoulders with the big boys kind of person......I'm not impressed by celebrity or wealth or status of any kind.......I would feel awkward at not being dressed appropriatly.....I don't even do elegant evening anymore.........And frankly would consider it more of an interruption than an honor.......

I know that makes me sound weird and I'm really not (ask Linda we've sailed together many times).......It's just that I'm not the kind of person who enjoys doing stuff like that....and it's not that I'm not friendly, I really am, and I enjoy talking to other passengers and the crew.......but dining with the captain is considered by most to be an honor.....just not me.

When I was in college, I worked part time at the Lloyd Nobel arena in Norman, where all the big concerts are held. And because I had worked there for a long time, they were always trying to give me back stage passes or get me to work back stage, but I had no interest in that either....my friends thought I was a kook back then too........:p

Not being impressed shows that you have already judged people based on their status. That is too bad. I am not gushie over those same things, but the people behind them and accomplished people may have interesting stories and great conversation.

When I was in the Army, I worked at Honolulu International.. We were in the resturant one day and the waiter came over and said that Mr Art Linkletter would like us to join him at his table. There were two of us in uniform and we joined him. We had a great conversation with he and his wife. I have had other opprotunities similar to that in my life that have given me great memories.

The opposite is true as well. I have been thrown insto situations where I ended up dinning or doing things with people who are not celebrities and had a great time. Even dinning with homeless was a wonderful expierience. People are people, give them all a chance.

This worked out so well for us because our oldest son (who usually does not get to cruise with us) was on this cruise.

He has graduated as a Chemical Engineer and is (unless the Admiral says no at the swearing in ceremony....which he has the power to do) about to enter the Navy in their Nuke program as an officer. He will be an instructor at Charleston, SC.

After that he will go to surface or subs....and Captain Gazzano served 3 years on a sub....so he was telling "war stories"...(so to speak)....

with 4 more booked thru Apr 7th. Even b4 I reached Platinum, I was invited to Dine w/ Various Captains. Over a dozen great pics w/ full table,in my albums and several other meals in Captains DR with Senior Staff members. A more relaxed evening. The friendships I have formed with so many staff members is something I treasure.

I am not intimidated by anyone, or anything, so being with ship staff is nada problema por mia, as I get to converse in Italian, or Espana. always have a great evening. It is never about " dining with the help, or GEE,, it must be fun to work on a cruze ship..more over their famiglia, and their future plans and experiences. Some of the staff I met in the late 60's when I was on Sitmar lines, and they were working their way thru the ranks , only to be absorbed by Princess, and the Carnival. So playing catch up is always a treat.

Looking forward to my "Diamond" card in Sept, on the Conquest.

Not being impressed shows that you have already judged people based on their status. That is too bad. I am not gushie over those same things, but the people behind them and accomplished people may have interesting stories and great conversation.

When I was in the Army, I worked at Honolulu International.. We were in the resturant one day and the waiter came over and said that Mr Art Linkletter would like us to join him at his table. There were two of us in uniform and we joined him. We had a great conversation with he and his wife. I have had other opprotunities similar to that in my life that have given me great memories.

The opposite is true as well. I have been thrown insto situations where I ended up dinning or doing things with people who are not celebrities and had a great time. Even dinning with homeless was a wonderful expierience. People are people, give them all a chance.

your a fellow we would love to spend time with on a cruise.

Archived