Dinner with the Captain!

LHP

We are currently on the Elation and had dinner with the Captain last night in his private dining room.....very nice.

It was our family of three. (our youngest with Autism will not eat with strangers). Plus two dear friends who booked this cruise to sail with us.

In over 50 cruises, this had never happened and now 2 cruises in a row....

I could get used to this !!

Our Captain is delightful.....

We are currently on the Elation and had dinner with the Captain last night in his private dining room.....very nice.

It was our family of three. (our youngest with Autism will not eat with strangers). Plus two dear friends who booked this cruise to sail with us.

Linda,

do you think this is what they meant by an invitation from the Captain under the new Diamond Loyalty program?

Very nice LHP, dinner with the captain in his private dinning room. Pretty nice deal. Keep having fun on your cruise.

Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself........I know you and your family are super-milestone cruisers and have received many of these invitations......It's how they should treat all of their super-cruisers.....

My question to you is......what would be the best way to decline an invitation of this kind? This is not something that my sister would ever consider doing and it doesn't interest me too much either, especially if Donna weren't going with me......

I'll be Diamond soon and I guess these offers will be coming our way from now on.

Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself........I know you and your family are super-milestone cruisers and have received many of these invitations......It's how they should treat all of their super-cruisers.....

My question to you is......what would be the best way to decline an invitation of this kind? This is not something that my sister would ever consider doing and it doesn't interest me too much either, especially if Donna weren't going with me......

I'll be Diamond soon and I guess these offers will be coming our way from now on.

Well, Janey, I'm not Linda (though my GF's name is Linda), but to give you my response to declining this invitation: You don't! Suck it up and just do it if you get it, and that could be a huge if. Do not assume becoming Diamond will throw these invites your way. Heck, I dined at the captain's table on my first ever Celebrity cruise. Why? My wife was Greek, as was the captain, and we had a mutual friend!

Yes, captains come in different shapes, sizes and personalities, but I've always enjoyed my time at the captain's table, even dinner with them in their cabin. It gives you a whole different insight when it comes to cruising.

Seriously, unless you are ill, do not turn it down. It's not the end of the world.

Don't know about CCL, but every time I've dined at the captain's table, it was always just the captain.

I've also dined at the hotel manager's table, and on some lines they set up tables with other officers, such as the chief engineer, chief medical officer, etc.

Expect that if you are at an officer's table that there will just be that officer and no others with you.

Well, Janey, I'm not Linda (though my GF's name is Linda), but to give you my response to declining this invitation: You don't! Suck it up and just do it if you get it, and that could be a huge if. Do not assume becoming Diamond will throw these invites your way. Heck, I dined at the captain's table on my first ever Celebrity cruise. Why? My wife was Greek, as was the captain, and we had a mutual friend!

Yes, captains come in different shapes, sizes and personalities, but I've always enjoyed my time at the captain's table, even dinner with them in their cabin. It gives you a whole different insight when it comes to cruising.

Seriously, unless you are ill, do not turn it down. It's not the end of the world.

Really? Suck it up? I disagree, I would just simply decline politely if it wasn't something I wanted to do.

Really? Suck it up? I disagree, I would just simply decline politely if it wasn't something I wanted to do.

I agree. Why go sit through a 2 hour dinner with people you don't care to dine with. If you decline, maybe someone that wants the opportunity to do this will get a chance.

I would simply say something along the lines of...while being honored by your request I must politely decline your invitation due to a scheduling conflict and hope you enjoy your dinner and the rest of your evening.

I agree. Why go sit through a 2 hour dinner with people you don't care to dine with. If you decline, maybe someone that wants the opportunity to do this will get a chance.

I would simply say something along the lines of...while being honored by your request I must politely decline your invitation due to a scheduling conflict and hope you enjoy your dinner and the rest of your evening.

Not likely that I'm just going to suck it up........I'm just not a rub shoulders with the big boys kind of person......I'm not impressed by celebrity or wealth or status of any kind.......I would feel awkward at not being dressed appropriatly.....I don't even do elegant evening anymore.........And frankly would consider it more of an interruption than an honor.......

I know that makes me sound weird and I'm really not (ask Linda we've sailed together many times).......It's just that I'm not the kind of person who enjoys doing stuff like that....and it's not that I'm not friendly, I really am, and I enjoy talking to other passengers and the crew.......but dining with the captain is considered by most to be an honor.....just not me.

When I was in college, I worked part time at the Lloyd Nobel arena in Norman, where all the big concerts are held. And because I had worked there for a long time, they were always trying to give me back stage passes or get me to work back stage, but I had no interest in that either....my friends thought I was a kook back then too........:p

[quote name=okgirl;33977000

I know that makes me sound weird and I'm really not (ask Linda we've sailed together many times).......It's just that I'm not the kind of person who enjoys doing stuff like that....and it's not that I'm not friendly' date=' I really am, and I enjoy talking to other passengers and the crew.......but dining with the captain is considered by most to be an honor.....just not me.

:p[/quote]

dosen't make you seem weird at all to me, just sounds like that's not your thing, wouldn't be mine or my husband's either, that's just not us. Now maybe invite us to one of those crew parties we've heard so much about and we just may show up ;)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Free wine?

LOL! I was just about to say the same thing! That's the only good thing about dining with the Captain!

Not sure I get the hype of dining with the Captain. We did one cruise with my sister inlaw and Navy Captain husband. We were invited to dine with the Cruise Ship Captain. Wine was free but I was never so bored...LOL. Was afraid I might pick my nose or burb. Dining with the common people is just part of his job. I would love to eat with the crew...now that would be fun.

Archived