Ditching Carnival, Going to give NCL a try. What to expect?

Kreeb

Did anyone else read the article that Cruise Critic did a couple of weeks ago about the different cruise lines being rated in several categories? I thought it was amazing that NCL came up RUNNER UP in like the first 5 or 6 of the 8 or so categories! What that says to me is NCL has gotten it RIGHT. Instead of (like the other lines) having one first place category, NCL was shinning in so many of them! Well rounded and near perfection, indeed!

DW and I are Milestone cruisers on Carnival (29 cruises), and we are disgusted with their recently leaked revamped Loyalty program. Been waiting 3+ years for this and we're promised it would be "Brilliant". In fact we have lost perks, so we now know how they value our loyalty.

That said, what can we expect out of NCL and "freestyle" cruising. Are there formal nights? What makes you loyal to that brand? Our next cruise will be this coming fall and I want to start booking our future cruises somewhere else than where I have previously given my loyalty.

Any info you can give us that describes the NCL experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

I am a pretty recent convert from CCL so I will give you my opinion.

The first time I cruised with NCL, I must admit it took me a while to get used to Freestyle dining because I was so used to having traditional with the same wait staff every night. Once I did adjust (it was a 15 day sailing so I had plenty of time for adjustment!!) I found it FABULOUS. CCL has anytime dining but it is NOT equal by any means.

We (my DH and I...ages 49/50) find NCL to actually be more 'fun' than CCL these days. NCL offers more to do and so much more live music (GOOD live music!)...the atmosphere is much more festive. Sail-away is top notch...heck sail away from every port is top notch. Activities day and night are numerous. Deck parties are awesome...BBQ out on the lido on sea days is what my DH enjoys most

My favorite thing about NCL is the crew. I have had wonderfull crew on every ship on every line I have sailed, but NCL crew are the best. I cannot explain it, but they are just better. This includes officers, not just your waiters and cabin stewards. On the sailings I have been on even the hotel directors are ever present, walking around talking to passengers getting feedback.

NCL listens to feedback..heck, they are likely reading this thread right now...why?? because they actually care what people think.

CCL, not so much....

We love that NCL offers so many dining options. Some are with a surcharge...we find them well worth the extra couple dollars because we enjoy the variety.

I am SO darn excited about my upcoming NCL cruise that I can't even stand it. I just got off a fabulous 15 day carnival cruise (to Hawaii) and I can tell you that all during that cruise, as great as it was, my dh and I both agreed that we were REALLY looking forward to getting back on NCL.

There is a difference...we prefer what NCL gives us and that is that when we get on one of their ships, we not only feel pampered, but it's like being pampered by family. I don't know how else to describe it....but since Kevin Sheehan took over, it's flippin' AMAZING.

Obviously there is no guarantee that you will find NCL as awesome as I do, but this is how I feel about it and if you like it half as much as I do, you will still have the best cruise of your life

:)

DW and I are Milestone cruisers on Carnival (29 cruises), and we are disgusted with their recently leaked revamped Loyalty program. Been waiting 3+ years for this and we're promised it would be "Brilliant". In fact we have lost perks, so we now know how they value our loyalty.

That said, what can we expect out of NCL and "freestyle" cruising. Are there formal nights? What makes you loyal to that brand? Our next cruise will be this coming fall and I want to start booking our future cruises somewhere else than where I have previously given my loyalty.

Any info you can give us that describes the NCL experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

We were Carnival lovers once. Then we sailed NCL and probably will never step foot on a Carnival ship again.

Last year was the Jewel, this year was the Gem, next year will be the Jewel and the Gem again. As soon as the 2014 schedule for NY comes out we will be planning that cruise.

Better service, friendlier people, better food. Better bang for the buck. On the last two cruises there was NOBODY!! shoving drinks down our throats. You could walk the ship without being hassled. The overall experience is much better. Carnival isn't really the Walmart of cruising people say it is. It's the 99 cent store!!

The 'bacon police' comment caused me an instant flashback to British Army cookhouse breakfasts with the slop-jockey standing over the sausages and bacon with a large implement yelling "1 sausage each, 1 rasher each". Shudder...

How odd. That sounded like my mother when I was a kid.

Some great replies that in no way reek of cheer leading.......that's refreshing. I'm sold......come Nov (when NCL comes back to the Caribbean) we'll be taking our first NCL trip....probably going to book very early to take advantage of the double day points. Thanks all for the input....

Check out NCL Latitude program and you'll see it takes a while to get to any level that gives you something meaningful. To say one cruise line has better staff than another is a matter of opinion and a huge generalization. Just my opinion. Flame suit on.

I just can't agree with this. We just finished a 7-day cruise on NCL's Epic in February (7 points-bronze level). Just booked an 11 day on NCL's Sun for 2013. With 11 points for each night of the cruise, 11 points for booking 9+ months in advance, and 11 points for booking a latitudes insider offer, we'll be at 40 rewards points which is deep into silver after only two cruises!

On my second cruise, what I will use and enjoy (there are more benefits I won't use) are priority check-in, 10% discount at duty free shop, latitudes reception, and a ship's pin.

On my third cruise, I will enjoy the above, plus 15% discount on photos, 15% discount on spa treatments on sea days, nightly chocolates, and onboard gathering with ship's officers (that is, if I haven't already met them at the CC meet and great ;))

On my second Carnival cruise, I was invited to a cocktail party. On my third Carnival cruise, I was invited to a cocktail party.

From my standpoint, I'd say NCL's latitudes rewards are pretty darn good!

I think you'll find a lot similar between Carnival and NCL. Don't expect to see something revolutionary with NCL's freestyle concept. All the major lines have copied it and are basically the same. Since this is the NCL board you are sure to see most saying NCL is the best so take it for what it's worth. On Carnival you can eat when you want (anytime dining), eat with others or by yourself. You can wear shorts in Carnivals MDR on all but formal nights. If you dont want to dress up on Carnival you go to the buffet. Both lines have specialty restaurants onboard. I like both lines and have never had a bad time on any cruise. And NCL may have great suites with butlers and concierge, but that's why they are so costly. Check out NCL Latitude program and you'll see it takes a while to get to any level that gives you something meaningful. To say one cruise line has better staff than another is a matter of opinion and a huge generalization. Just my opinion. Flame suit on.

Mostly everything on these boards is opinion...I think we all understand that. The OP asked for opinions, they got them (including yours) and now they can book an NCL cruise and form their own.

;)

Thanks......

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) as you!! I've been a loyal Carnival cruiser since 2003 (12 cruises) and although our B2B on the Dream in December/January was wonderful, I'm disgusted by all the cutbacks (Formal Nights, Midnight Buffett, Captain's Party, Past Guest Party, no live band or Caribbean/Steel Drum music on the Lido Deck on sea days, etc) as well as "Fun Ship 2.0" which I see as being Carnival's way of making cutbacks look good. :( I haven't seen the new loyalty program yet so I can't comment on that. They have however, made it clear they don't care about me or my loyalty though through their other actions. :( Mom and I have booked our next cruise on NCL and have only heard good things about the line (service, food, fellow passengers, etc). I'm really excited to try something new and to sail on the Epic for New Years!! :D Ready or not NCL, here we come!!!! :D

Thanks for posting this question. I am also considering "jumping ship". Our last couple of cruises were lacking. We too were used to the steel drums, the midnight buffet, the captains cocktail party. And when going to dinner, the "anytime" diners were complaining about a 45min wait one night and 30 min another. That is not anytime to me. This will be my honeymoon cruise so I really want it to be good. I hope "jumping" to NCL will not dissapoint. I am excited to try something new. Thanks again for all the answers and reviews!

Good for you! I keep telling people on the CCL board that are complaining that if they don't like what CCL is offering then go elsewhere....a lot of times this gets me called a cheerleader because I don't share in their in complaints about Carnival (either because they don't affect me or I have never experienced them) and they feel I am telling them to just go away. Which I'm not...I'm telling them to spend their money wisely and instead of choosing to sail on a line that obviously makes them unhappy, look around for another one that will make them happy. CCL still makes me happy and if they meet my needs for a vacation I am taking, I will sail them...or any other line that meets my needs at that time.

I'm not loyal to any line and I choose a ship based on what I want out of a vacation. All ships, IMHO have their pros and cons. But I have never come across a con that caused me to complain endlessly about a line and made me not want to sail them again. I tend not to rely on what anyone says about service, food, and entertainment as that is too subjective. I do look at the size and age of a ship, the type of entertainment offered, the type of restaurants offered, and the type of activities offered as well as embarkation port, itinerary and cost when choosing which ship to sail.

Overall NCL rooms are smaller unless you are booking a suite, in which you will also get suite perks. NCL also offers more options when it comes to fee-based restaurants. NCL has the Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, open 24 hours, which is included in your fare and offers great (IMHO) comfort food...CCL has nothing to compare to it. NCL has much larger sports courts than CCL...but they do not have Mini-Golf. Some of NCL ships have bowling. Bingo is more expensive on NCL. Freestyle is very similar to Anytime, only you have more choices of where you can go to eat. NCL has dress up or not nights...but they seem to be even more casual than Carnival... You see people dressed formally to informal (more so than CCL IMHO).

Everything else I am about to say is subjective and I wouldn't base any decisions off of it since your opinion may differ when you actually try it. IMHO the MDR food and service is similar to CCL. NCL has a better buffet. CCL has better desserts. NCL has better entertainment. The activities are similar.

The best way to find out if you will like it is to try it. I really don't get the loyalty to a certain line mindset....I think that just unnecessarily limits your choices when it comes to choosing the vacation that will best meet your needs.

Just my two cents:

I've never cruised on Carnival, so I can't compare. But yesterday, my daughter-in-law and I were talking about our April NCL Star cruise (her first cruise), and she said that she mentioned the cruise to her friend who said "Wow, you went on NCL? That's one of the top cruiselines. We just got back from a Carnival cruise, and on our next cruise, we're going back to NCL. No comparison."

Good for you! I keep telling people on the CCL board that are complaining that if they don't like what CCL is offering then go elsewhere....a lot of times this gets me called a cheerleader because I don't share in their in complaints about Carnival (either because they don't affect me or I have never experienced them) and they feel I am telling them to just go away. Which I'm not...I'm telling them to spend their money wisely and instead of choosing to sail on a line that obviously makes them unhappy, look around for another one that will make them happy. CCL still makes me happy and if they meet my needs for a vacation I am taking, I will sail them...or any other line that meets my needs at that time.

I'm not loyal to any line and I choose a ship based on what I want out of a vacation. All ships, IMHO have their pros and cons. But I have never come across a con that caused me to complain endlessly about a line and made me not want to sail them again. I tend not to rely on what anyone says about service, food, and entertainment as that is too subjective. I do look at the size and age of a ship, the type of entertainment offered, the type of restaurants offered, and the type of activities offered as well as embarkation port, itinerary and cost when choosing which ship to sail.

Overall NCL rooms are smaller unless you are booking a suite, in which you will also get suite perks. NCL also offers more options when it comes to fee-based restaurants. NCL has the Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, open 24 hours, which is included in your fare and offers great (IMHO) comfort food...CCL has nothing to compare to it. NCL has much larger sports courts than CCL...but they do not have Mini-Golf. Some of NCL ships have bowling. Bingo is more expensive on NCL. Freestyle is very similar to Anytime, only you have more choices of where you can go to eat. NCL has dress up or not nights...but they seem to be even more casual than Carnival... You see people dressed formally to informal (more so than CCL IMHO).

Everything else I am about to say is subjective and I wouldn't base any decisions off of it since your opinion may differ when you actually try it. IMHO the MDR food and service is similar to CCL. NCL has a better buffet. CCL has better desserts. NCL has better entertainment. The activities are similar.

The best way to find out if you will like it is to try it. I really don't get the loyalty to a certain line mindset....I think that just unnecessarily limits your choices when it comes to choosing the vacation that will best meet your needs.

Wow, that was an excellent post. Very well put. I wish I had your writing abilities. Bottom line is for those bashers AND cheerleaders- a lot of it is just personal opinion. We all have different perceptions of events. If any line was that bad, why are they still in business? Another thing to think about is being accurate and not over generalizing. Someone said NCL had more restaurants, then someone said CCL did then someone said NCL has 20 on the Epic. I could then say RCCL has 21 on Allure and Oasis. We gotta compare equal ships.

And my flame suit was on from my first post on page 1 so no worries about offending me. I'm flame-proof! ;)

I've done 5 cruises on Carnival and 2 on NCL. (with 2 more booked for 2012 & 2013)

Personally I've found that the similarities outnumber the differences between both lines, however NCL in my opinion has better food and entertainment. It just seems a notch above Carnival in overall quality.

I have to agree with everyone else in this thread, NCL's crew is always stellar! :)

Don't hesitate to book a cruise with NCL, I'm sure you'll love it!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. And I do agree, to an extent, that all lines offer aspects of freestyle. However, I appreciate NCL as the innovator of this concept. And I am sure they will be coming up with new ideas for the other lines to copy.

QUOTE=JayinAZ;33981608]I think you'll find a lot similar between Carnival and NCL. Don't expect to see something revolutionary with NCL's freestyle concept. All the major lines have copied it and are basically the same. Since this is the NCL board you are sure to see most saying NCL is the best so take it for what it's worth. On Carnival you can eat when you want (anytime dining), eat with others or by yourself. You can wear shorts in Carnivals MDR on all but formal nights. If you dont want to dress up on Carnival you go to the buffet. Both lines have specialty restaurants onboard. I like both lines and have never had a bad time on any cruise. And NCL may have great suites with butlers and concierge, but that's why they are so costly. Check out NCL Latitude program and you'll see it takes a while to get to any level that gives you something meaningful. To say one cruise line has better staff than another is a matter of opinion and a huge generalization. Just my opinion. Flame suit on.

I was a long time Carnival cruiser as well and once I went NCL.....well I never went back!

I contemplated going on the Sunshine with all the kiddos but it turned out with the OBC's that NCL offered, it worked out better to do NCL.

I have never had a "bad" cruise. Just noticed the "cost saving" things Carnival has done that was one of the selling points when I first started cruising. Its funny the "everyone has their own opinion" In our (20+) group All of the gals liked CCL and all the guys liked RCCL:rolleyes: go figure. But I find that these boards give you a little insight into what is to come. So maybe we can find a perfect balance on NCL.

Archived