Ditching Carnival, Going to give NCL a try. What to expect?

Kreeb

DW and I are Milestone cruisers on Carnival (29 cruises), and we are disgusted with their recently leaked revamped Loyalty program. Been waiting 3+ years for this and we're promised it would be "Brilliant". In fact we have lost perks, so we now know how they value our loyalty.

That said, what can we expect out of NCL and "freestyle" cruising. Are there formal nights? What makes you loyal to that brand? Our next cruise will be this coming fall and I want to start booking our future cruises somewhere else than where I have previously given my loyalty.

Any info you can give us that describes the NCL experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

Welcome to NCL. We love the freestyle aspect, no one does it better than NCL. We love the casual atmosphere, no need to pack formal clothes unless you want to, we like eating when we want, just like the commercial free to do whatever and the suite perks are the best around.

We have never had a bad cruise on NCL, the staff is very friendly, the ships are maintained, and the food is decent. Hope you have a great cruise.

I have sailed Carnival and NCL and love NCL. I do have to admit though I get a suite on NCL which I get a butler and consigure which is not offered on Carnival.

I do not attend the formal nights do not dress up but have a good time. The people that I sail with I have not seen for maybe a week or up to a year so with anytime dinning we can have dinner when we want it to catch up on what is going on.

I usually eat in the pay resturants which I do not mind paying since I am on vacation, Enjoy the martini classes/clinics

I've only been on one Carnival Cruise and it was a 4day. With that being said, the food and entertainment IMHO are way better on NCL :D I was not impressed with either on Carnival.

Welcome NCL, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

No bacon police! :)

Actually, there is a review in my signature from Don, a long time Carnival cruiser that sailed NCL (Epic) in late 2010 or early 2011. Check out his review

As stated by others, NCL ships are more like a land vacation in that you eat at the restaurant you want, at the time you want, and even see the entertainment you want, all on your own schedule. There will be shows, but not a standard early and late sitting of the same thing. If you sail in suites you're in for a treat. The "haven" area, special restaurant access, butler and concierge are far above what you get on CCL or RCI. The Epic also adds a separate restaurant and a exclusive outdoor club for use (Posh)

As you can see, I've been on DCL, CCL, RCI and NCL...and NCL is now my line of choice

Ditching Carnival, Going to give NCL a try. What to expect?

Our paths have crossed on the CCL boards. :)

I sincerely hope you'll have the same wonderful experience on your first NCL sailing (as I did :) ), because then you can be added to the growing list of people who kick themselves a wee bit and say, "Why in the world did I wait so long to give this a try??"

My 30+ sailings on CCL were not bad in the least, nor were they disappointing. I had some superb experiences and met numerous superb fellow passengers, with quite a few becoming close friends. :)

But the corporate structure at CCL is different.

By different I mean less quality.

By less quality I mean often dismal.

By often dismal I mean a potential pile o' poo.

Numerous crew members on your very first NCL sailing will make you feel like you've been welcomed there for a long time - - perhaps within that very first minute.

Enjoy!!!

No bacon police! :)

Actually, there is a review in my signature from Don, a long time Carnival cruiser that sailed NCL (Epic) in late 2010 or early 2011. Check out his review

Thanks, again, Mike! :)

We were typing at the same time, and it took me a while to "clean up my act" (Thank you, Mr Backspace & Delete keys) :o

Taking a higher road, so to speak. :)

Numerous crew members on your very first NCL sailing will make you feel like you've been welcomed there for a long time - - perhaps within that very first minute.

Enjoy!!!

Damn Don, I was just about to post the exact same thing. NCL's staff are amazing - they have some real superstars.

One day I will have to book a suite just to see how much BETTER it can be:D

OP, you have made a great decision. Enjoy whatever cruise you choose.

I think you'll like NCL! I was kind of skeptical before I took my first cruise with them. I was worried about the food, "Freestyle dining," etc, etc.... Really...IMO I liked the cruise on the NCL Spirit more than any other. Don't get me wrong...they do things a little differently but in most cases it's better. They really are more customer service/satisfaction oriented in my experience.

I would cruise NCL more if they had more cruise choices. I really tried to book a Southern/Eastern Caribbean cruise with them but they have fewer itineraries and what's available just wouldn't work for me. But the Spirit has left New Orleans and the Star will be there in the Fall so that gave me a great reason to book a cruise for April 2013 on the Star!

Thanks, again, Mike! :)

We were typing at the same time, and it took me a while to "clean up my act" (Thank you, Mr Backspace & Delete keys) :o

Taking a higher road, so to speak. :)

Yep, I can see by "pile-o-poo" you took the high road, Don. lol :D

I also thought you would appreciate my "bacon police" comment.

When we on our long weekend trip on CCL last year I literally laughed out loud when I got to the bacon station and couldn't select my own. I told the server that "NCL doesn't have meat police". She just smiled...and handed me an extra sausage link. :)

Wow, thanks to all so far....I'm getting encouraged for sure. Keep the good info coming and I'll let you know when I get the first one booked.

I only need one more sea day to attain the highest level on Carnival's loyalty program, but I'm voting with my wallet and moving on. They have proven to me that they do not value my loyalty.

Thanks again and any other info is appreciated.....

Read the reviews of the ships you're interested in. There are lot here in the message boards for sure. If you're interested in the Epic I have links to a lot of info in my signature. Hopefully in a couple of months I can say the same thing about the Jewel. :)

.....That said, what can we expect out of NCL and "freestyle" cruising. Are there formal nights? What makes you loyal to that brand? .... Any info you can give us that describes the NCL experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

Yes there are "Formal Nights" NCL calls them Dress up or not Nights. I just finished my first cruise ever and was surprised at the number of people who do dress for dinner. The nice thing with NCL is that NO ONE CARES and NO ONE NOTICES if you dress or not.

IMHO it's the crews that make NCL.

There are many good straight forward reviews posted here, read them they will give you a good idea why NCL cruisers are loyal. "You can start with mine listed below" (Cheap plug)

My family cruised different lines but tended to be loyal Carnival cruisers (18 cruises) but 2 years ago I sailed on NCL Jewel with a friend. We basically chose the Jewel because it's NYC departure was convenient and the price was very reasonable.

Although we had fun, I must say both my friend & didn't feel that particular cruise beat Carnival in many areas. Our cabin was smaller than Carnival (though I hear suites are terrific on NCL), to us the food wasn't quite as good, & the staff wasn't as friendly as Carnival's. However, the Jewel entertainment was varied & very good!

Next cruise I decided to give NCL another try, mainly because the Epic sounded unlike any ship I had yet sailed. I was concerned my husband wouldn't have a good time because he would be comparing everything to Carnival. Well, we all LOVED it!! The food was delicious & I could have eaten in the non-fee dining rooms every night but had booked some pay venues ahead out of unnecessary concern over the main DR food. The service was good in the restaurants and terrific entertainment. Must say I still didn't find the staff as friendly as Carnival's - by the end of the week I still had never seen my room steward although my cabin was clean so not a big deal. Not having the same DR wait staff each night took away a bit of that personal service, but still NCL did a fine job.

Upon our return my husband & I booked the Epic again so that my 2 children that hadn't traveled with us could experience it & we also booked the Star. I think Carnival is being "penny-wise, dollar-foolish" in making any cuts to loyalty programs & other events such as the Captain's Welcome Party. We always enjoyed dressing up for formal night, going to the Captain's Cocktail Party for a couple of compementary drinks & we would take (& later buy) family pictures. When that became the Farewell Party it took a little something away from the formal night. Now it seems like the Farewell Party is gone too! Many may be saying farewell to Carnival if this continues.

I think you'll find a lot similar between Carnival and NCL. Don't expect to see something revolutionary with NCL's freestyle concept. All the major lines have copied it and are basically the same. Since this is the NCL board you are sure to see most saying NCL is the best so take it for what it's worth. On Carnival you can eat when you want (anytime dining), eat with others or by yourself. You can wear shorts in Carnivals MDR on all but formal nights. If you dont want to dress up on Carnival you go to the buffet. Both lines have specialty restaurants onboard. I like both lines and have never had a bad time on any cruise. And NCL may have great suites with butlers and concierge, but that's why they are so costly. Check out NCL Latitude program and you'll see it takes a while to get to any level that gives you something meaningful. To say one cruise line has better staff than another is a matter of opinion and a huge generalization. Just my opinion. Flame suit on.

I think you'll find a lot similar between Carnival and NCL. Don't expect to see something revolutionary with NCL's freestyle concept. All the major lines have copied it and are basically the same. Since this is the NCL board you are sure to see most saying NCL is the best so take it for what it's worth. On Carnival you can eat when you want (anytime dining), eat with others or by yourself. You can wear shorts in Carnivals MDR on all but formal nights. If you dont want to dress up on Carnival you go to the buffet. Both lines have specialty restaurants onboard. I like both lines and have never had a bad time on any cruise. And NCL may have great suites with butlers and concierge, but that's why they are so costly. Check out NCL Latitude program and you'll see it takes a while to get to any level that gives you something meaningful. To say one cruise line has better staff than another is a matter of opinion and a huge generalization. Just my opinion. Flame suit on.

When we sailed on the paradise we could not get "anytime dining" because the slots were filled. Even tried once we got on board. Also noticed a huge wait for tables for the "anytime" diners because they designated only part of the dining room for these diners. We heard several people say they wish they had not chosen AD as we walked past them heading for dinner. Maybe that was just on this smaller ship, but I think the big difference is that that's how everyone of NCL eats. It's not jury rigged to co-exist with more traditional dining.

When we sailed on the paradise we could not get "anytime dining" because the slots were filled. Even tried once we got on board. Also noticed a huge wait for tables for the "anytime" diners because they designated only part of the dining room for these diners. We heard several people say they wish they had not chosen AD as we walked past them heading for dinner. Maybe that was just on this smaller ship, but I think the big difference is that that's how everyone of NCL eats. It's not jury rigged to co-exist with more traditional dining.

Just adding that the NCL ships were built for freestyle, whereas the other lines are trying to cram it into the existing ship, and my experiences with it was that it was not the same at all. Having a choice of 2 specialties compared to 7 is a big difference as well.

Just adding that the NCL ships were built for freestyle, whereas the other lines are trying to cram it into the existing ship, and my experiences with it was that it was not the same at all. Having a choice of 2 specialties compared to 7 is a big difference as well.

Or 20 dining options on the Epic

HI ALL... just an added thought......if you find a dinning room waiter that you really like.....just ask for one of his tables.... you might have to wait 5 minutes, but thats no big deal..... We were on the Spirit in Jan 12, and at lunch upon boarding we found a waiter we really clicked with....He served us dinner all but one night...that when we went to the Bistro.....and sometimes there were only the 3 of us, and it went up to a total of 10 the last night.....and not a problem....

just a thought....

jus' me.....jim....the velvet teddy bear...:cool:

I had to laugh at the bacon comments. When I first sailed on the Gem back in 2010, I was so surprised and delighted to see that they had soft AND crispy bacon on the buffet. This made me ridiculously happy (and if you're wondering, I go for the crispy stuff).

We missed our dearest NCL ships while sailing RCL last month, and the Dawn was docked next to us in Bermuda :p - and, if we had the option, we would've "checked out" of our Explorer of the Sea & boarded NCL for the return trip to NY, LOL.

Seriously, you get to see the Washy Washy, Happy Happy crew members in the MDR and Cafe/Buffet - it's the NCL's spirit that you will catch on, the happy, smiling & friendly crew on all the ships, including its senior officers that are highly visible in many public area, walking & smiling - and you don't even need to be a top-tiered frequent cruisers or suite passengers to get the extra attention or warm hello in the hallways. You'll discovered the "home away from home" and "we are the world" concept that NCL exemplified - plus, the free style cruising that every other cruise lines now are trying to duplicate, copy & simulate, to varying degree of success or, lack of ...

Dining has more options, more choices & flexibilities - and, that's without using/paying for extra cost specialty restaurants. Oh, yes - there's even candlelight dining in the MDR for the evening (missed that on RCL last month.) Lobster nights on all mass market cruise lines have shrunken to half of a rock lobster tail, and it's a given - but, late at night (and at other times too) - you can sit down at the 23/7 cafe for a full meal, they take your orders from a menu & bring it to you - instead of standing in line with one person behind the counter (on a RCL ship with 3,300 pax sailing) - just to give you some idea.

Come join the NCL family - the rest of us here are "hooked" & we are planning our next cruise on her ship again (not soon enough) :D

The 'bacon police' comment caused me an instant flashback to British Army cookhouse breakfasts with the slop-jockey standing over the sausages and bacon with a large implement yelling "1 sausage each, 1 rasher each". Shudder...

Archived