London - how to "skip the line"

We'll have one and a half days in London so need to make the most of our time.

Is there a card or ticket I can purchase either here in the states or in London that would help us "skip the line"?

Thanks for any advice - trying to figure this out

"Skip the line" for what, exactly?

To get into attractions. Tower of London, Tower Bridge exhibit, Kensington Palace etc.

Maybe it isn't an issue but I would prefer not to spend my day waiting in line if there is something I can do about it before I get there!

To get into attractions. Tower of London, Tower Bridge exhibit, Kensington Palace etc.

Maybe it isn't an issue but I would prefer not to spend my day waiting in line if there is something I can do about it before I get there!

Oh I'm with you now. Glad to see someone's been able to help you out!

Be just a little wary of "skip the lines" adverts. You'll skip a line to buy tickets, but not neccessarily a line to gain admission.:rolleyes:

Timed tickets are available for the London Eye, and well worthwhile.

JB :)

Forget the London Pass. The London Pass allows queue skipping privileges only at:

Tower of London

Hampton Court Palace

Windsor Castle

London Bridge Experience

ZSL London Zoo

Kensington Palace & The Orangery

Of these, the Tower of London is the only one a first time visitor with only 1 1/2 days should consider. For the Tower of London, just show up at opening time and view the crown jewels first thing before queues get lengthy. The London Pass may allow you to skip the admission queue, but not the separate crown jewels queue.

As for not recommending the other five attractions: Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle are marvelous attractions that unfortunately are outside central London and take more than 1/2 day to visit properly. Do not waste your precious London time on the travel.

The London Zoo is an average zoo at best. Don't waste London time on it, visit a better zoo in the US.

The London Bridge Experience is a schlocky pseudo London horror attraction. Visit a local Halloween haunted house instead and support a worthy charity.

Kensington Palace is a minor royal palace. Their recent makeover gets more dreadful reviews than positive: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d187550-Reviews-Kensington_Palace-London_England.html

Forget the London Pass.

Forget the London Pass. The London Pass allows queue skipping privileges only at:

Tower of London

Hampton Court Palace

Windsor Castle

London Bridge Experience

ZSL London Zoo

Kensington Palace & The Orangery

Of these, the Tower of London is the only one a first time visitor with only 1 1/2 days should consider. For the Tower of London, just show up at opening time and view the crown jewels first thing before queues get lengthy. The London Pass may allow you to skip the admission queue, but not the separate crown jewels queue.

As for not recommending the other five attractions: Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle are marvelous attractions that unfortunately are outside central London and take more than 1/2 day to visit properly. Do not waste your precious London time on the travel.

The London Zoo is an average zoo at best. Don't waste London time on it, visit a better zoo in the US.

The London Bridge Experience is a schlocky pseudo London horror attraction. Visit a local Halloween haunted house instead and support a worthy charity.

Kensington Palace is a minor royal palace. Their recent makeover gets more dreadful reviews than positive: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d187550-Reviews-Kensington_Palace-London_England.html

Forget the London Pass.

Thanks for your candid reply - I really appreciate it. I think we'll figure it out when there as it does appear that the Passes won't help us at all.

I do want to do one of the Hop on - Hop off bus tours. Any tips there?

Thanks again

I do want to do one of the Hop on - Hop off bus tours. Any tips there?

Thanks again

You're welcome. For Hop on - Hop off bus tours, I advise you not to hop off. Stay on for a whole circuit, switch and do a different route if you so choose. The Hop on - Hop off bus tours give a good introduction to London, but they run too infrequently to provide transportation between attractions. Take the tube or regular buses to get to the attractions you want to visit.

The bus tours are too similar for me to recommend one over the other:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

Be warned that the bus will zip past the most interesting sights and get stuck in traffic only at the dull spots.

Also consider National Gallery and British Musem. They are both free, no lines. London eye overpriced. Tower of London and Westminster Abbey also overpriced but worth it for first time visitor.

And by all means avoid these overpriced tourist traps: Madame Toussads, London Dungeon, Tower Bridge Experience.

Also consider National Gallery and British Musem. They are both free, no lines. London eye overpriced. Tower of London and Westminster Abbey also overpriced but worth it for first time visitor.

And by all means avoid these overpriced tourist traps: Madame Toussads, London Dungeon, Tower Bridge Experience.

It is the London Bridge Experience (£23) that is the overpriced tourist trap. The Tower Bridge Exhibition, at £8.00 admission, is interesting for bridge or engineering buffs.

http://www.towerbridge.org.uk

The ONLY was to 'skip the line' to see the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London, is to be there when they open. If not, be prepared for maybe 1/2 or more queue to see them.

Cheers

Len

That depends. Last time I was there with my Brothers in Oct around lunch time, they just walked into the exhibit with no line at all.

Cheers

That depends. Last time I was there with my Brothers in Oct around lunch time, they just walked into the exhibit with no line at all.

Cheers

There is always the exception to the rule. You were extremely lucky, and, I'm sure, thrilled about that. In most cases though, you have to be prepared for a long wait.

Cheers

Len

We only had 2 days in London. I booked the HOHO "Original Tour + Tower" combo online which included tickets to the Tower of London as I heard there was a line, usually. I also heard the line for the Eye was long.

When we got there (last Thursday & Friday), I didn't really see any lines for anything (and believe me, I hate lines). Our hotel (Park Plaza Victoria) was within walking distance of lots of sights, so no waiting for a Tube or traffic. The HOHO was excellent. We rode it from the Victoria area to St. Pauls Cathedral, then walked across the London Bridge to the Tower Bridge, then over to the Tower of London with our tickets. There was no line (at 2pm on a Friday) for the Tower. We got right in. Then took the river cruise (also no line, and the cruise is part of your HOHO admission) back to the Westminster/Big Ben area. The only "lines" I saw were for the Crown Jewels inside the Tower. And even then, 15 minutes later, it went from a line to no line. It's all about timing I suppose. :rolleyes:

You're welcome. For Hop on - Hop off bus tours, I advise you not to hop off. Stay on for a whole circuit, switch and do a different route if you so choose. The Hop on - Hop off bus tours give a good introduction to London, but they run too infrequently to provide transportation between attractions. Take the tube or regular buses to get to the attractions you want to visit.

The bus tours are too similar for me to recommend one over the other:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

Be warned that the bus will zip past the most interesting sights and get stuck in traffic only at the dull spots.

I agree with this. We stayed on the circuit a little longer because the view was great up top and it was so easy. We did the "Original Tour" which we loved. The live commentary was much nicer than recorded audio and the top is open deck. We did the yellow "T1" tour which only hit the majors sights we wanted to see quickly. The live guide warned us that there was tons of traffic coming up, so we hopped off at St. Pauls Cathedral and walked to the Tower Bridge.

Archived