Packing Meds - need advice

paulbjr

Besides standard prescribed medications that I must bring on my cruise, I have a prescription from my Naturopath for a really effective amino-acid anti-stress protocol which consists of a number of powdered substances mixed together by prescription. This powder is mixed with fruit juice and water each day but must be carried as a powder in small zip-lock bags.

My doctor has provided prescription labels for each bag and a signed letter on letterhead to go with them explaining the contents.

Will this be a problem with the TSA? Customs? Will this be a problem with Regent? Could I be denied boarding?

I want to take this along but I don't want to ruin a cruise.

.......... This powder is mixed with fruit juice and water each day but must be carried as a powder in small zip-lock bags.

My doctor has provided prescription labels for each bag and a signed letter on letterhead to go with them explaining the contents.

Will this be a problem with the TSA? Customs? Will this be a problem with Regent? Could I be denied boarding?

Regent will not care or even look.

As for TSA, I would suggest putting the packets in a plain white or brown plastic pill jar and put the Dr's Rx label on it. You can get the jar from any pharmacy. Pack it in your suitcase would be the safest, but if you are worried to possible loose them take in your carry on. As long as the substance is not on the ban list you will have no problems. Note this applies only to US flights. Some foreign countries like in the middle east, Singapore, China, etc., have way different rules.

j

Imho, I am thinking the zip lock baggies may not be the wisest idea! I have to agree it would be better to have it put in a pharmacy type container, with a proper label as a what dietary supplement ? It would just seem that "white powder" in a baggy well.....

I agree with the above advice to an extent, but I would probably not take the stuff if it is prepared by a naturopath. You really have no idea exactly what is in it despite what the label says. If one of those drug dogs alerts on it, sure you might be able to prove your self innocent eventually, but that could take a long time which would risk missing your flights and possibly ruining the start of your vacation.

Better to be safe than sorry in this case particularly if your travel involves outside the US. Some countries are way more picky than here.

My DH packs psyllium powder on every trip (non-prescription) and has not been questioned (some in a baggie). We are vitamin nuts and probably have 100 packets of vitamins (again in baggies) on our longer trips -- packed in our carry-on luggage. The only thing we have been stopped for in years was going through Heathrow with Marmalade in our carry-on. It as confiscated.

Look, if you have to take the stuff, then you have to find a way to do it. Yes, I would see if your naturopath could package it in pill bottles instead of baggies, if the volume is not too large. Or even in vitamin bottles, with the appropriate Rx labels affixed. Double wrap it in good heavy ziplock bags, and take it on your carry-on, along with whatever written documentation you can get from your doctor. I would not pack vital medications in checked luggage--carry it with you.

And, there's a 99% chance that you won't be questioned at all. But if you are, you will have the documentation to back you up.

My DH packs psyllium powder on every trip (non-prescription) and has not been questioned (some in a baggie). We are vitamin nuts and probably have 100 packets of vitamins (again in baggies) on our longer trips -- packed in our carry-on luggage. The only thing we have been stopped for in years was going through Heathrow with Marmalade in our carry-on. It as confiscated.

This is quite encouraging. Thanks.

My DH packs psyllium powder on every trip (non-prescription) and has not been questioned (some in a baggie). We are vitamin nuts and probably have 100 packets of vitamins (again in baggies) on our longer trips -- packed in our carry-on luggage.

When we travel, I usually have my supplements (non-prescription) is mini dixie cups made up in advance and put in sandwich baggies. That sounds like your packets.

From what you said, it doesn't sound "treacherous". THanks.

Paul

Archived