Low-key Cruise Lines?

Regent, although a luxury cruise line, is comparable with HAL, Princess and Celebrity pricing for people who stay in their larger cabins. They do not even have "formal optional" unless your cruise is over 15 nights. It is a country club type atmosphere (without snobbiness).

Unlike Oceania (it's sister cruise line) and Azamara, it is completely all-inclusive. The suites are large, service and food wonderful -- ships barely larger than Oceania or Azamara and two of their ships are all suites. When you take the price of a Regent cruise and deduct the included airfare, tips, alcohol and other beverages and most excursions, you are looking at quite a deal.

Just something else to consider.

This definitely sounds like Regent is a good deal.

I'm glad you asked your question before booking too! Another good example of why research is SO important BEFORE one books.

I think HAL would be a good fit for you too, from what I've read here on CC.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Woohoo for HAL! It's funny because I think I took a nontypical first cruise -- Costa Atlantica in the Caribbean in 2010. With no research.

It was over 90% European (which was fine), but the food was terrible. I actually lost two pounds on that cruise. There were also about four or more languages being yelled over the loudspeaker at all times. Then my Celebrity cruise in 2011 was mostly American, very tasty food, and pretty low key. So I never know what to expect!

Thanks for the well wishes!

For a mainstream (not premium or luxury) I would stick with Celebrity. We did HAL once. We are seniors but 20 years younger than the average age on the HAL cruise we took. Many passengers with walkers and scooters. Why not 'build' up some loyalty points to get perks on Celebrity if you like the cruiseline. We also like Royal Caribbean - the ships are gorgeous. We do cruise during times when there will be fewer children on board. There is an adult pool area.

Most cruises are less formal than the 'good ole days'. I think the airline luggage fees have a lot to do with people leaving the gowns and tuxes at home.

I agree with the others who suggest you give HAL a try. Beautiful and relaxing mid-sized ships (no hairy chest contests, rock climbing walls, etc.), great itineraries, terrific food and service. I guess you can tell I'm a fan.

An important thing to consider is whether you smoke, or contrarily, are bothered by second hand smoke.

HAL has a liberal policy allowing smoking indoors in a few places and on balconies. others such as Celebrity, Oceana and Azamara are much more restrictive.

You're going to find the upscale cruise lines far more low-key ... and expensive, when compared with the mass-marketers. If price is not the major consideration, but you still wish the more "refined" experience along with some degree of value, check into Azamara and Oceania. At the other end of the spectrum, avoid NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean ... their emphasis is definitely on a more active vacation.

Princess and Holland America would work well for you, but there is some distinction. The older folks sail on Princess ... their parents cruise with Holland America!! We prefer the former, although we're definitely playing the back nine at this point in our lives. We've never felt rushed, stressed, overwhelmed by crowds, or anything other than relaxed on a Princess cruise ... and we've been to the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe and the Middle East.

I don't know where you live ... but if you can get to Galveston TX, the Crown Princess will be sailing the Roatan/Belize itinerary from late December through April.

Irrespective of your choice of mass-market cruise line, by all means stay away when the kids are out of school. We found the best time is that period between Thanksgiving and Christmas ... great fares, few children, and a nice week away. Whatever you select, enjoy your cruise.

Al

I've only sailed on Cunard and would be hesitant to try another line as I don't want to encounter the noise you mentioned.

First and foremost, there is no loud music around the pools and no din of constant announcements. There is one weather and operation update at Noon. No constant reminders of wine tastings, trivia contests, etc. The schedule of the day's activities is delivered to your stateroom the previous evening and the ship believes that big boys and girls don't need to be reminded to show up if they are interested.

Second, daytime activities tend to be intellectual rather than physical. There are daytime programs for young people but the ships don't attract much of a young demographic as would RCI with its active recreational programs. On any line however, the number of children on board will depend on school vacations.

If you like formal nights you'll love evenings on Cunard ships. Even "elegant casual" nights require men to wear jackets in the main dining rooms. (If you want to have some fun on the Cunard forum, start a "dress code" thread. It''s always good for about 50 responses! :D )

An important thing to consider is whether you smoke, or contrarily, are bothered by second hand smoke.

HAL has a liberal policy allowing smoking indoors in a few places and on balconies. others such as Celebrity, Oceana and Azamara are much more restrictive.

Thanks for telling me about the smoking. We do not smoke, so we would have to do a window room instead of a balcony if we went on HAL. I would have thought that a ship with an older crowd wouldn't be smoking that much due to health reasons.

I was thinking about HAL because it would be faster for us to drive to Tampa (where there are a few HAL sailings) from Ohio. Three hours faster than driving to Fort Lauderdale. Celebrity doesn't sail from Tampa. But I don't know what a Tampa cruise crowd would be like either.

Maybe we'll just have to suck up the extra time and head to Fort Lauderdale if we want the Celebrity line, or to check out Princess.

For a mainstream (not premium or luxury) I would stick with Celebrity. We did HAL once. We are seniors but 20 years younger than the average age on the HAL cruise we took. Many passengers with walkers and scooters. Why not 'build' up some loyalty points to get perks on Celebrity if you like the cruiseline. We also like Royal Caribbean - the ships are gorgeous. We do cruise during times when there will be fewer children on board. There is an adult pool area.

Most cruises are less formal than the 'good ole days'. I think the airline luggage fees have a lot to do with people leaving the gowns and tuxes at home.

Good point about the loyalty program and Celebrity. I will try to find out if we can get some kind of initial loyalty credit for having had our first sailing last year. We didn't sign up back then, so we'll see.

I've only sailed on Cunard and would be hesitant to try another line as I don't want to encounter the noise you mentioned.

First and foremost, there is no loud music around the pools and no din of constant announcements.

Second, daytime activities tend to be intellectual rather than physical.

If you like formal nights you'll love evenings on Cunard ships. Even "elegant casual" nights require men to wear jackets in the main dining rooms. (If you want to have some fun on the Cunard forum, start a "dress code" thread. It''s always good for about 50 responses! :D )

Cunard sounds completely like my style. I think the only Cunard sailings from the U.S. are the Transatlantic, which one day I want to do. Too bad they don't have Caribbean sailings from the U.S.

Anyone obsessed with formal dress code snobbery sounds like my crowd :D

Cunard sounds completely like my style. I think the only Cunard sailings from the U.S. are the Transatlantic, which one day I want to do. Too bad they don't have Caribbean sailings from the U.S.

Anyone obsessed with formal dress code snobbery sounds like my crowd :D

The Queen Mary 2 always used to do a cruise from NY after her transatlantic, very often to the Caribbean for a fortnight, then the transatlantic from NY back to the UK. These are all separate cruises, although some from the UK will do all as a month's holiday. I'm sure you'll find something on the Cunard page.;)

Jo.

Archived