Please Help~~Which side of ship~~

Halya50

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me an idea on which side of the ship to book our balconies to get maximum view of the ports while coming into port.

We will be doing the Southern Caribbean on the Breeze.

I understand that their are factors such as traffic/weather etc. But wondering in a perfect world, what side of the ship would be best.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks very much

It's almost 50/50, maybe 60/40. Ships sometimes dock starboard side in port. On the Dream, we docked starboard side at every port. But the views while sailing should be more of a factor than what side you dock at in port (since you never know with that). The best thing to do is get a map & look at the route you're taking, and figure out exactly where you will be docking in the ports. When sailing close to the islands or mainlands, especially while approaching & leaving ports, which side of the ship seems to be facing the land the most? That will be your answer.

Straight up 50/50. Even during perfect docking conditions. Industry wide. Could you imagine the debate and ticket prices if the industry favored which side the ship normally docks? 50/50 and it's generally done on purpose when applicable.

On a lot of the islands, you will see the island from either side of the ship. (Montego Bay, St. Thomas, Cozumel just to name a few.)

Sometimes they will head straight in, sometimes they will back in. You never know for sure which way they will dock.

i guess that i could look it up, but it appears you are online right now.

What are the ports, in order? It matters.

Gary

miami, fl

02/17/2014 mon grand turk

02/18/2014 tue la romana, dominican republic

02/19/2014 wed curacao

02/20/2014 thu aruba

02/21/2014 fri fun day at sea

02/22/2014 sat fun day at sea

02/23/2014 sun miami, fl

It never works the way you want it. I like to be on the dock side and it works about 50% of the time. When we travel with friends or kids we try to book both sides for the pier runner show and watch the crew check the produce being loaded.

Usually Port side....I agree with above posters....watching the pier runners is a highlight of the day....all the hoot and hollaring.....you can go to youtube and see videos of the folks in action...but nothing is better than seeing it for yourself...it's amazing just how slow some will be because they "just know" the ship will wait on them....then the ones we saw...who refused to dump the beer they were carrying and stood right there and drank it all down before proceeding to show their passports! You should have heard the yelling on that one!!

Enjoy!

Port side for Grand Turk...but if there are two ships there, you may be looking at the flat side of another ship across the pier. Port side for Curacao...but you won't be entering the port, but docking outside. Port side for Aruba. Never been to la Romana. EM

IMHO you are overthinking this and it can go both ways. If other side just go up on deck.

Go up on deck and mingle with the common people...LOL...Yep, I do that when I pick a cabin on the wrong side. I always go to the bow on deck so I can see the entire port when we pull in and after we dock I use the balcony if we dock on my side or the deck for the pier runners show.

miami, fl

02/19/2014 wed curacao

02/20/2014 thu aruba

02/23/2014 sun miami, fl

Grand Turk - Could be either Port or Starboard - 1 Dock with a ship on either side

LaRomana - Starboard

Curacao - Port

Aruba - Port

miami, fl

02/19/2014 wed curacao

02/20/2014 thu aruba

02/23/2014 sun miami, fl

Thanks for posting that, but unfortunately I can't be of any assistance, since I haven't visited any of your ports but Aruba, and I missed the (early) arrival.

I think that most folks here are missing what your original question was, dealing with the view arriving into port, not what you would see after you docked.

I asked about the ports and order because, for example, if you're sailing into St. Maarten from St. Thomas or San Juan you definitely want a Port-side cabin for the great view.

Also, just for the record, Port side doesn't mean that it's the side looking at the port. :)

gary

Thanks for posting that, but unfortunately I can't be of any assistance, since I haven't visited any of your ports but Aruba, and I missed the (early) arrival.

I think that most folks here are missing what your original question was, dealing with the view arriving into port, not what you would see after you docked.

I asked about the ports and order because, for example, if you're sailing into St. Maarten from St. Thomas or San Juan you definitely want a Port-side cabin for the great view.

Also, just for the record, Port side doesn't mean that it's the side looking at the port. :)

gary

Thanks a million for your post Gary!!! I appreciated your post!

gary

Somebody needs to tell the PVPs that! I almost choked when I was cheerily informed by one that I was so lucky to get a cabin on the portside because that meant I would have a view of all or the ports! :eek:

miami, fl

02/19/2014 wed curacao

02/20/2014 thu aruba

02/23/2014 sun miami, fl

Providing you have a balcony, basically it boils down to, do you want to watch the sun rise or sun set on the last 2 sea days. If you want sun rise, book starboard. If you want to view the sun set, book port.

Archived