Luggage Forward

Hi

I am going to Alaska on Hal Amsterdam. Has anyone used luggage forward> They pick up your luggage at home and drop it off at the ship? Price is not bad as I would have to pay 40.00 on the plane and it 99.00 basic to ship it.

Mary

Hi

I am going to Alaska on Hal Amsterdam. Has anyone used luggage forward> They pick up your luggage at home and drop it off at the ship? Price is not bad as I would have to pay 40.00 on the plane and it 99.00 basic to ship it.

Mary

We never have, but I know people who do it all the time on another cruiseline and they have never had a problem. It's a great idea (but would make me very nervous until I got in our cabin and saw our luggage).

Shipping from US to Vancouver caused a lot of complications and restrictions on what could be shipped. This was presumably an artifact of Canadian Customs. Shipper did not come clean on this until it was too late not to use their services.

Ralph

Hi

Mary

Personally if you can afford it why not' date=' I hear it works out great. Have never heard anything negative about it. I prefer to use an Airline that lets the first bag go for free. [/b']

We never have, but I know people who do it all the time on another cruiseline and they have never had a problem. It's a great idea (but would make me very nervous until I got in our cabin and saw our luggage).

I've used Cunard's similar service twice. I was a bit nervous the first time, but the carrier (DHL) provided a tracking number, so I was able to check on the bag's progress. In my case, tt was expensive because it was for service from the US to the UK. The shipper acts as the customs agent, which bumps up the price quite a bit.

To the OP, check the weight allowances. DHL had different prices for different weights. I think the change in price was around 25 pounds, but it was several years ago, so I could be wrong on that.

My bag will go from Boston atra to Seattle. I have two bags because I boufgt some formal wear. Jet blue will charge me $40.00. Luggage Direct will be $100.. Thats 60,00 more and I will not have to lug it. Yeah I am a bit nervious about the suitcase not getting there. I think I will take a chance. Unless I hear some bad reviews.

Mary

They pick up your luggage at home and drop it off at the ship?

I've used luggage forwarding services in the past. The one that I had used 2 years ago using their cheapest rate, they picked up the 2 suitcases 5 biz days before the ship sailed. Then 2 years ago when I called them up to make arrangements they mentioned a $50 dollar pick up fee. There was no mention of an extra pickup or delivery fee on their website.

Some guy came to pickup the suitcases, I asked for paperwork. He had no paperwork. He said that it would be emailed. I naturally called them up and did a little rant. Not much I could do as they already had my CC stuff and luggage. When I got to the ship I did get my suitcases. I noticed they used Fedex or UPS. On embark I had to call the 800 number and after an hour wait someone did show up to take the luggage.

Last year I used UPS, a bit cheaper then what I've used before. Went to local UPS store and sent the suitcases from NYC to Boston 3 days before the cruise to the hotel I was staying at. On the return I left the suitcases at the front desk and received the 2 suitcases 2 days later. Using UPS is the way I'll be doing it from now on.

YMMV

I've used Cunard's similar service twice. I was a bit nervous the first time, but the carrier (DHL) provided a tracking number, so I was able to check on the bag's progress. In my case, tt was expensive because it was for service from the US to the UK. The shipper acts as the customs agent, which bumps up the price quite a bit.

To the OP, check the weight allowances. DHL had different prices for different weights. I think the change in price was around 25 pounds, but it was several years ago, so I could be wrong on that.

I'm glad to hear that, Kathy. I'm thinking of using White Star on my next QM2 voyage and glad it worked well for you.

I hope you don't mind me posting this on the HAL forum, but this is one of the voyages I "paid for" with my savings from switching to the Zaandam in February.

Roy

Archived