Western caribbean excursions - booked at the dock vs ahead of time

has anyone had good luck in booking excursions at the dock we've now been on 3 trips 2 eastern caribbean and 1 western and it always seems the disabled passengers have to book before leaving home or basically bum around the port areas or get stuck with ships excursions.

I guess I notice these things more and more as our disabled son gets older and we have less and less ability to do things on the spur of the moment.

If you need any kind of special transportation accomodations, then booking ahead with someone you KNOW can accomodate your son is the best way to go. It doesn't HAVE to be through the ship! Google what you want to do and where...and see what comes up! You can book private excursions in advance, usually for less than booking thru the cruiseline!

If you don't book in advance, you do run the risk of not being able to do what you want to!

I agree. Do some checking around, spend some time doing your homework and you will be much more likely to get on a tour or whatever that you actually want to be on. I spent lots of time online looking around and we ended up doing exactly what we wanted to do, not whatever was left over or what limited activities there were still available at the dock.

I don't think I have ever been "spur of the moment" but am much less of that since I have developed more problems with walking. I like knowing what to expect, number of steps, restroom accessibility etc. All of that I guess means I am a planner.

• 3 weeks later...

I think some research should be done beforehand, but I have used both methods. In some caribbean destinations I have pre booked our trips and in others just found one in the cruise terminal. On our last two cruises I have taken a folding manual wheelchair and haven't encountered any problems in taking it with us.

I can manage to get in and out of the vehicles OK, but sometimes need a push up the backside to get in if it is very high. I have found some guide/drivers do bring a portable step which makes life easier.

Read through the many articles on CruiseCritic and/or put your own questions here and on tripadvisor.

Archived