Wine by the glass vs. bottle in MDR

cvschmitt

If I get one of the alcohol packages, I can have glasses of wine at dinner, vs. ordering a whole bottle with a wine package, right?

It would be more convenient $$-wise to have the wine included in the alochol package, but I'm not sure if ordering by the glass each night might be more of a hassle, expecially if I wanted a refill or two.:rolleyes:

Anyone experience this?

If I get one of the alcohol packages, I can have glasses of wine at dinner, vs. ordering a whole bottle with a wine package, right?

It would be more convenient $$-wise to have the wine included in the alochol package, but I'm not sure if ordering by the glass each night might be more of a hassle, expecially if I wanted a refill or two.:rolleyes:

Anyone experience this?

We did the more expensive alcohol package and the wine steward quickly learned to just bring a bottle of whatever we were drinking by the glass and have it close by our table. We didn't even have to ask for the refills. He would stop by and see our glasses nearing empty and would ask if he could fill them up. We had 4-5 people at our table that were all doing the same thing and drinking different wines. It worked great. The only down side is there isn't a large choice of wines by the glass.

Anyone experience this?

I had the premium package and I ordered different wines with each course. The wines were ordered all at the same time with the wine steward. He would bring each successive glass when the courses came out. I wasn't required to finish each glass before the next one was delivered.

The issue isn't getting refills. The issue is whether you'll be happy with the wines by the glass selection. I was. There is a thread out there that lists the wines by the glass

Anyone experience this?

Greetings

The wine steward will keep your glasses well filled. Both myself and my SO had the preminum package on our recent cruise and we never had a problem. You might want to look at the selection of wines by the glass. We were not impressed by the selections, but we also never went thirsty. And if you order something that is above the $12/glass limit, the wine steward would bring an entire bottle. He poured 4 glasses per bottle so if it was a $16/glass wine the total charge was $16 plus the tip for the entire bottle. So they were generous pours.

Good Sailing

Tom

We had a similar experience on the premium package. We are into food and wine pairings and we had a fantastic time. After we placed our food order, we spent time with the wine steward selecting wines for each course. He even brought two glasses for some courses if we couldn't figure out which went best. It got to be a bit of a game and he would run over to us to see what we selected. None of the wines were really stunning, but all were good quality and we enjoyed them. It is a personal issue, but the value for money was there for us on the premium package. We enjoyed having a lot of good wine instead of far less excellent wine. We get that at home so it was fun to try other wines. I will add that we went for selected dining so we could sit alone. We spend around 2.5 hours at dinner and play with wine pairings so we would irritate other diners at the main seatings. The servers got used to us ordering each course separately so they did not rush out one on top of each other. One other note I will add is that we had a real problem with the wine situation in the specialty restaurant. We were on the Century so we only had Murano. They have a different wine list and very few of the wines were $12 or under. We tried to get the wine steward to work with us, but he continued to present us with options in excess of $20 a glass. We gave in and he did have good choices, but we were steamed about it because we had been having such a good experience in the MDR. We spoke to the head Sommelier the next day at a wine tasting event, and he was more than sympathetic and said to ask for him if we went to Murano again. From what he said about the situation, it seems that Murano was like its own little space on the ship and it did not play well with others. We did not bother going back. Sorry for going on a bit, but we had so much fun!

I'm a wine drinker. On both cruises this year I contemplated purchasing the beverage package. I am not a fan of their selections of wines by the glass. At dinner there is a white and red wine of the day offered by the glass, and it changes every evening.

I found that I was better off ordering a bottle of something I LIKED, vs accepting something from their limited selection. It makes it convenient that they keep the unused wine, for the next night in any restaurant. I even had a standing bottle of Sauvignon blanc that I liked in Celler Masters. They keep it for you. It's nice knowing that it's a freshly opened bottle too.

All told it was far more cost effective too.....

I'm a wine drinker. On both cruises this year I contemplated purchasing the beverage package. I am not a fan of their selections of wines by the glass. ...

Me too. We've been on the fence all week about the packages and today I ordered only the premium non alcoholic for me. Far better selection by the bottle so we'll just pay as we go and get what we want for wine.

Archived