Ugly Magic Review on the Cruise Review page

Here is my review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=102449

We loved the Magic and had a great time. Was it perfect? No, but it was great. I did not find the decor cheap, I found the cabin very spacious, the food was decent, the staff are wonderful, and the friends we made on board - priceless!

So is any of the things true in this review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103218

24 hour karoke?

angry, bitter waiters?

He says he's been on other Carnival cruisers, could the Magic be that different?

Thanks.

Personally, I think that this is either someone who has never cruised and/or a troll, or someone who has a pretty sad pathetic life. They have been on 6 cruises, 5 on Carnival, yet the only review is this one which is more of a soapbox for their gripes. Sometimes, I wish CC could and would validate that those writing reviews were in fact on the sailing (not that it could be done reliably).

Oh well, more garbage in - garbage out for people to sort through.

B&B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it with a grain of salt JMO

there are positive reviews, and negatives...and cranky reviewers

this guy seemed to have an attitude...I find it hard to believe that he spend $4700 for 2 people for a week in a Carnival Balcony in the Caribbean but IF he did I am sure that influenced his negative remarks

I quote theskipper50

Then we entered the lobby of the Magic. I have to say, after cruising on their fantasy ships and the Conquest, the Magic is a BIG disappointment. The decor is pathetically cheap with Home Depot style glass tile being the theme. Add to that gobs of 'wood look' plastic trim everywhere, and the Asian pop duo playing fake orchestra music on the keyboards, and the immediate impression is, "Man, did I get on the wrong ship?" But sadly, no, it was the right ship. And that first 'cuttin corners' impression was carried on as a theme throughout the cruise. You'd expect that the largest ship would be the prettiest, with the best amenities and services, right? Not even close. Everything on this ship is cut to the cheap, with a sort of 'less is more' attitude by the crew. Just what you want after forking out $4K on a 7 day cruise. Its like they used some minimum wage employee to design and decorate the ship. Or maybe it's just not completely decorated yet. To use a car comparison, with a Kia being the cheapest and a Rolls Royce being the best, the Carnival Magic is a solid Ford. Everything's there and works, but don't expect luxury. They were so cheap, they didn't even name all the decks! 14 decks and most of them just go by numbers, "Deck 6, deck 7, etc."

If the guys first paragraph is a rant about the drapes and the decor i just skip over it, as the guy is just a troll looking for something to b*tch about.

I work hard for my vacation time and vacation dollars and i could cruise in a Uni-bomber style shack for all i care as long as the food is good, the bed is comfortable, and someone brings me drinks on deck i am a happy man.

He spent $750 on board, he must have enjoyed those watered down drinks. :cool:

I did enjoy his remarks about looking for a Red Lobster so he could have a good meal. That gave me a good laugh.

Bless your skipper!

Why is everyone so far think this guy is a troll, and truely not dissappointed? I was dissappointment on the Destiny last year. Everything he said about the food and entertainment is correct. As far as the decor, everyone knows Carnival is not the most creative company. I had the worst waiter ever. Service was dead slow. The entertainment was the same old routines.

Let's not brag about the food and service. It's really not that good, and does not compare to other lines. However, Carnival being the cheapest, it is somewhat expected.

Let's not brag about the food and service. It's really not that good, and does not compare to other lines. However, Carnival being the cheapest, it is somewhat expected.

I have sailed RCL and Princess and Carinval's food was by far better then RCL and on par with Princess. What line has way better food ??

What line has way better food ??

More upscale (and expensive) lines, like Celebrity. Needless to say, I'm sure all of those super luxury lines that I can't afford probably have pretty great food otherwise people wouldn't pay for them.

I just thought it was funny he was looking for luxury on Carnival. LOLOL

We don't find the Magic's decor cheap or really much different than the other ships. A little less neon, a few more amenities. It's a nice ship.

I have sailed RCL and Princess and Carinval's food was by far better then RCL and on par with Princess. What line has way better food ??

CCL=Flank Steak, RCCL=Sirloin Steak (slightly better cut) on the comfort menu. Speaking of which, now has a hamburger and fried chicken. Taste ok, but not MDR kind of food. Also, RCCL still serves a steak dinner, I believe NY strip one night, and CCL removed steak from the main menu. Food taste is subjective, however, in my opinion, CCL has made many cutbacks on the menu selections where RCCL stayed even. I believe Celebrity and Princess is better overall.

More upscale (and expensive) lines, like Celebrity. Needless to say, I'm sure all of those super luxury lines that I can't afford probably have pretty great food otherwise people wouldn't pay for them.

At one point in time, Carnival food was different. For every change they make, it becomes cheaper. I get it, but the real point is that the review, was honest, but harsh, and I felt that someone should point out that it is not that far off base. I will still get on a Carnival ship, but they need to change some things, and reinvent their entertainment and food. Comfort food is for when I am at home.

Take it with a grain of salt JMO

there are positive reviews, and negatives...and cranky reviewers

this guy seemed to have an attitude...I find it hard to believe that he spend $4700 for 2 people for a week in a Carnival Balcony in the Caribbean but IF he did I am sure that influenced his negative remarks

This! Before I try a new ship I read as many reviews as I can. You can usually tell what to weed out within the first few lines. There was a Caribbean Princess review I read which started with the person complaining about the weather - because we know cruise lines can control that, followed with something crazy like the door knob not being shiny enough obviously someone like that wont be happy with anything so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that review.

Food taste is subjective.

I guess it is, because my one and only RCL cruise i thought the food was just below Golden Corral if i was rating it. We ate in the MDR the first night and it was bad. We went the second night hoping the first was a fluke and it was likewise just as bad. We dined the rest of the cruise in Portifino and enjoyed the food.

I guess it is subjective, but having sailed Princess twice and Carinval thrice i would say their food is about the same, but i do think Princess is a little better. However as i said above i dont think RCL is at all better.

After reading the first two LINES, my thoughts were..." GET A LIFE " Obviously, they just want to stir the pot. I don't but ANY of it. Thats just me. Cannot imagine a ship, that is just ONE year old, would bring on those kind of comments. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not Carnival who's being "cheap" here.

I think this is more about his totally unrealistic expectations. $4250 = $607 per night = $303 per person to include meals, activities, entertainment, service with a smile and the general cruise experience. I think that represents remarkable value for money even if Carnival is to "too cheap" :D to name all the decks.

If he wants the kind of upmarket cruise he clearly feels entitled to he'll have to pick a different cruise line and pay a LOT more for it. Horses for courses and all that.

I tried to ignor the items that were obviously subjective and just focus on items that could be confirmed by others like the 24 hr karoke and the bitter angry waiters.

But I am glad that many pointed out that the review was most likely tainted by his having paid too much and set his expectations too high. Makes you wonder though since he had been on Carnival before.....

At one point in time, Carnival food was different. For every change they make, it becomes cheaper. I get it, but the real point is that the review, was honest, but harsh, and I felt that someone should point out that it is not that far off base. I will still get on a Carnival ship, but they need to change some things, and reinvent their entertainment and food. Comfort food is for when I am at home.

Agreed! I've always really enjoyed Carnival's MDR offerings (traditionally preferred them to RCI's), but I haven't been on Carnival since August, 2009. I really hope I'm not disappointed when I return to Carnival (Breeze) in December. I'll definitely be going in with an open mind and my last 3 cruises were on RCI -- food was good, but didn't blow me away by any means -- so I haven't been blown away.

I quote theskipper50

Then we entered the lobby of the Magic. I have to say, after cruising on their fantasy ships and the Conquest, the Magic is a BIG disappointment. The decor is pathetically cheap with Home Depot style glass tile being the theme. Add to that gobs of 'wood look' plastic trim everywhere, and the Asian pop duo playing fake orchestra music on the keyboards, and the immediate impression is, "Man, did I get on the wrong ship?" But sadly, no, it was the right ship. And that first 'cuttin corners' impression was carried on as a theme throughout the cruise. You'd expect that the largest ship would be the prettiest, with the best amenities and services, right? Not even close. Everything on this ship is cut to the cheap, with a sort of 'less is more' attitude by the crew. Just what you want after forking out $4K on a 7 day cruise. Its like they used some minimum wage employee to design and decorate the ship. Or maybe it's just not completely decorated yet. To use a car comparison, with a Kia being the cheapest and a Rolls Royce being the best, the Carnival Magic is a solid Ford. Everything's there and works, but don't expect luxury. They were so cheap, they didn't even name all the decks! 14 decks and most of them just go by numbers, "Deck 6, deck 7, etc."

If the guys first paragraph is a rant about the drapes and the decor i just skip over it, as the guy is just a troll looking for something to b*tch about.

I work hard for my vacation time and vacation dollars and i could cruise in a Uni-bomber style shack for all i care as long as the food is good, the bed is comfortable, and someone brings me drinks on deck i am a happy man.

I am glad some ships do NOT name their decks--I am already confused enough and struggle to find all the different areas. I can figure out deck numbers and which is up and down LOL!

As for this guy, you can't please everyone all the time, some people are just going to complain and he probably wrote to Carnival HQ looking for a free cruise!

So - he is upset. I go on the Magic in three weeks - but at $780 a PP and we live 20 minutes from the port - It will take alot of disappointment to make up for that.

Yall need to go read the reviews for the QM2 round the world cruise - and you not got to get more upscale than that. They are complaining about no more NY Times in the cabin, Only 3 shrimp per shrimp cocktail instead of 4 and not more canipes(sp?) at cocktail hour.

I hope all this is not true. Sailing for the first time ever and on the Splendor, stuff like this makes me wonder if i should just take a loss of my deposit and book another line. I should stop reading this stuff!

A couple of things I would absolutely agree with. The food quality has gone steadily down hill over the last few years, the entertainment ditto. However there are enough choices on the Magic that you can always find something to eat or be amused by, and sometimes both at the same time.

That being said, DW fell in love with the ship and had one of her best cruises ever. I found nothing so bad that it ruined a great vacation. And no, I didn't feel it necessary to keep a running total of what I spent, and it was half of what the OP spent including excursions. Who needs a balcony in January?

Every cruise is what you make of it. Go looking for a gripe and you'll always find one. At the same time if that's his honest opinion it's his right to post it without being called a troll.

Like some posters who make stuff up here I don't the reviewer even went in the cruise. I have no doubt some people just try to knock Carnival and really have no clue. They must think they can convince people to stay off Carnival.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived