Amsterdam Cabin C 3375

Maybe we were just under a main traffic pattern for carts but it actually sounded like a freight train! So one just gets used to it--Train #49 comes through about 4:30 a.m.:p

We've had 5 cabins on the Lower Promenade of R&S class ships. We've rarely heard any noise from outside the window, but after the experience of being under the galley we made sure the next four times to pick cabins under the MDR. We never heard any sounds from above us there.

Maybe we were just under a main traffic pattern for carts but it actually sounded like a freight train! So one just gets used to it--Train #49 comes through about 4:30 a.m.:p

We've had 5 cabins on the Lower Promenade of R&S class ships. We've rarely heard any noise from outside the window, but after the experience of being under the galley we made sure the next four times to pick cabins under the MDR. We never heard any sounds from above us there.

Ditto! I'll take a cabin near the laundry room before one under the galley any day. ;):)

Comments appreciated -

Partial sea view and lower promenade deck advantags/disadvantages.

enjoy :)

We were in 3384 and we thought it was a good deal for the price. We did have some galley noise, but it was always quiet by about 10:30 p.m.

However, I would be hesitant about 3375. When we were on the Amsterdam last summer, there was a section of cabins, just forward of our cabin where there was SIGNIFICANT noise and vibration. We had none of that in our cabin. As you walked down the hallway there was a section of cabins in this area where I felt it was totally unacceptable. One day we saw someone leaving one of the these cabins and asked if this noise/vibration was also in their cabin and they responded it sure was. I wish I knew the exact area, but I never wrote it down, even though I thought about doing it. However, from my experience, I would not book 3375 as I would be concerned it might be in that area. I pulled up a deck plan and I have to say that I am pretty sure 3375 would be affected, unless they resolved this issue.

Interesting, vbmom. I'd hoped that problem had been solved by now. Last October (2011) on one of the 14-day Alaska cruises we had 3372. Now this cabin is on the opposite side of the OP's cabin (3375) and I never went over to the opposite side for some reason to see if the same problem was over there but from what vbmom says, it seems that is may be.

Outside our door, on the opposite wall, the vibration was so strong that you could both hear and feel the vibration on the wall. The noise came through the floor, I guess, and into our cabin; the vibration on the bathroom floor was greater than anyone would want for safety. The noise, when the ship was running at any decent speed, was incredible. Middle of the night, it sounded like the freight train was indeed arriving at the station and the vibration was enough to make you think that falling out of bed was likely. If the ship was moving slowly, as (in all fairness it often was; distances between the Alaskan ports is often not all that great) there really wasn't a problem then. But for the first few days the ship is moving right along and down in 3372, the floor and the wall is moving right along with you, and the train . . . chuga, chuga, chuga . . . A very rhythmic, even noise! And not for just a few minutes. We're talking hours here.

There wasn't a lot of help from the GRM at first; claimed it was "normal ship noise" and earplugs were offered; but by the second day they'd offered us another cabin. We were told that someone from maintenance was going to sleep in 3372 to see what was going on and I gathered from remarks made later to us by front office staff that a problem was recognized and they were working on it.

As you approached the cabin you could hear the noise getting louder as you came down the hall, approaching from either side. To some degree probably 4-5 cabins are affected. And from what vbmom says, it's both port and starboard sides. Which is too bad; it's really a very nice cabin location.

We were never bothered by noise from above. This was clearly coming from local vibrations and was not connected to the time of day at all.

We suffered through 3370 for a week before complaining during a May 2011 Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam; we were then moved. Spinner2 gives an accurate description. The vibrations were so noisy that ear plugs were no help; we, quite literally, could feel them.

The galley noises were there, but we expected that. The dishwasher and the pastry mixer did make noise, but these vibrations were something else. We felt like we were trying to sleep in the engine room!

I did walk over to the other side of deck 3 under the galley, but I did not sense the same degree of noise and vibration in the hallway.

We suffered through 3370 for a week before complaining during a May 2011 Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam; we were then moved. Spinner2 gives an accurate description. The vibrations were so noisy that ear plugs were no help; we, quite literally, could feel them.

The galley noises were there, but we expected that. The dishwasher and the pastry mixer did make noise, but these vibrations were something else. We felt like we were trying to sleep in the engine room!

I did walk over to the other side of deck 3 under the galley, but I did not sense the same degree of noise and vibration in the hallway.

Thats made me feel much better :)

Hope they moved you up into the penthouse :D

Interesting that all reviews cover the opposite side to C3375 and nothing recent however surprised by these comments as I was more concerned re partial view and the deck noise which is not a problem.

Thanks for comments I think :p

When will you be sailing on the Amsterdam?

Its all locked away for June 15th should be great.

Have a wonderful time. I know someone on the June 29, so if you were sailing after them, I was going to ask them to walk the hallway by your cabin and report back.

Archived