Reasonably priced hotel in New York

Momis2

DH and I will be arriving in NYC in late March 2013 after a South American cruise on the Splendor. We would like to spend a day or two seeing the city before flying back to California. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel that would be convenient to the cruise port? We don't need top-of -the line but don't want a flea-bag either. Also, can we expect to find a tour the can show us the highlights of NYC without too much difficulty?

• 3 months later...
DH and I will be arriving in NYC in late March 2013 after a South American cruise on the Splendor. We would like to spend a day or two seeing the city before flying back to California. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel that would be convenient to the cruise port? We don't need top-of -the line but don't want a flea-bag either. Also, can we expect to find a tour the can show us the highlights of NYC without too much difficulty?

Try the Cassa hotel on 46 th I think.

There are literally hundreds of hotels in NY City, so it would be easier to recommend one if you provided an approximate budget.

If you're a first time visitor you could try a HOHO (hop on/hop off) bus tour for a basic introduction to the city. Manhattan is great for walking, and to get to places that may be too far to walk to, the public transportation system...subways and buses...will take you almost anywhere for very little money.

I see by your other posts that you will be arriving in NYC on March 23. If you use the trick I describe here, you can get the Algonquin for $129.31, which officially qualifies as a steal for this quality of hotel.

Also, can we expect to find a tour the can show us the highlights of NYC without too much difficulty?
If you're looking for an "overview" type tour, look into one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours that njhoresman mentioned. They will go by all the major tourist spots. If you're in Times Square, you'll see them. Gray Line runs a number of different bus tours. If you're looking for something a little more personalized, you might consider Big Apple Greeter. This organization has volunteer guides who are matched with tourists to see some of the "off the beaten track" places in NYC. They're two to four-hour tours. Website is http://www.bigapplegreeter.org.

I see by your other posts that you will be arriving in NYC on March 23. If you use the trick I describe here, you can get the Algonquin for $129.31, which officially qualifies as a steal for this quality of hotel.

I did this trick last night. The room I booked was $599/night. I got a price drop to $154.78 & $129.78/night which is just amazing!

Archived