Is falmouth worth seeing?

elou

We did the trolley ride that leaves from the shopping area. It was $15 pp (this was in Feb,2012) and about an hour long. We had a wonderful guide(she had been the guide for Prince Harry when he visited there) and was very well-spoken and informative. The ride gave a nice overview ofthe area and we were able to go inside a very old church with an interesting history. Some of the areas we went through were pretty run-down, but we had no trouble at all with any "unsavory" characters or offers of drugs, etc.. All in all it was a pleasant way to spend an hour and gave you a feel for the area.:)

I enjoyed this tour as well. I doubt I'd take it again, but it was interesting the one time. I wouldn't mind docking at Falmouth again as there are plenty of excursions available that will take you other places. It's not as if docking in Falmouth is a day long prison sentence ;)

Solo senior just wondering if there is anything of interest to see in this port. Been to Mo Bay and Ocho Rios many times. Any advice?

If you have never been there I'd get off the ship and at least walk the port. If you want to see the local flare, book an excursion but please form your own opinion by trial and either error or good time had.

Glad you enjoyed your trolley ride. With all due respect, I'm guessing every Jamaican tour guide's claim to fame now is that he/she was Prince Harry's tour guide when he visited! How your guide could have made that claim is especially interesting since you note your cruise was in Februrary 2012 and the prince's visit wasn't until March 5 - 8, 2012.

You may be right, but even so she was delightful and very knowlegeable about the area. :)

We were lucky enough to be there when Prince Harry was there!! I still cannot believe how close we were to him. Before he came, my daughter and I ventured outside of the gates......bad move on our part. All of a sudden we were surrounded by people trying to take us to there stalls. A lot of pulling going on, we turned around and went back inside. The people on the inside were 100% better, and actually very kind. Lots of same stuff in each store, but something to see for a first time visit.We did buy some pretty cool wooden bowls, and I was glad that we did get off the ship.

How cool! I would love to have seen Prince Harry. I see you're from N. Olmsted--I'm over in N. Royalton :)

We did the trolley ride that leaves from the shopping area. It was $15 pp (this was in Feb,2012) and about an hour long. We had a wonderful guide(she had been the guide for Prince Harry when he visited there) and was very well-spoken and informative. The ride gave a nice overview ofthe area and we were able to go inside a very old church with an interesting history. Some of the areas we went through were pretty run-down, but we had no trouble at all with any "unsavory" characters or offers of drugs, etc.. All in all it was a pleasant way to spend an hour and gave you a feel for the area.:)

Did you have to sign up for this trolley through the ship?

Thanks to all of you for replying. Being by myself, do you think the $15 trolley tour is safe or should I keep with the more expensive horse and buggy thru town with RCCL or see the plantation? Now you gave me things to think about. You are great.

Did you have to sign up for this trolley through the ship?

You can, but we didn't and there were still plenty of tickets for walkups. Most of the trolleys I saw leaving , including ours, were only 50-75% full.

Thanks to all of you for replying. Being by myself, do you think the $15 trolley tour is safe or should I keep with the more expensive horse and buggy thru town with RCCL or see the plantation? Now you gave me things to think about. You are great.

I felt the trolley was very safe.

sharecruises - why do you say that?

Love people who say things are bad in a port but don't offer examples as to why.

I'd say get off the ship and decide for yourself. What one person dislikes about Falmouth might be what makes it a nice port for someone else. Someone might seriously decide to stay on the ship and miss what might have been a perfectly good day for them.

sharecruises - why do you say that?

Love people who say things are bad in a port but don't offer examples as to why.

Because I wrote my own "bad" review of this months ago...because I have posted the info again and again on other threads

There are 5 threads about this on this page alone right now...but...people here will create new threads hoping against hope to hear "something positive"

when there really isn't anything positive

Many don't like Jamaica to start with...it has it's own problems.. pushy people, offers of drugs, some dangers or feels dangers...but with Falmouth you have to pay for transportation and ride and ride to get to the attractions

You are cutting your day short by bumping along roads for an hour and half or more simply to GET to the "tourist attractions" such as Dunn's river falls,

bobsled, doplhns etc. Same atractions that you can walk off the ship in Ochos and easily get to

Unlike other "cruise line made" ports such as Grand Turk, Costa Maya, Puerto Maya, Mahogany Bay (all Carnival) Falmouth has NO charm and nothing to do

Grand Turk and Costa Maya have large Margareitavilles, free pools...free loungers on beach....and yeah tourist trap stores

Mahogany Bay has beautiful beach , free loungers, and some nice beach bars

Puerto Maya has a nice restaurant and nice beach bar

Falmouth is all concrete and a facade that holds cruiseline connected jewelry shops and a ton of little ragged shops selling an array of made in china junk; Nothing even says Falmouth, it is so much junk

It is all concrete...some stilt walkers who want money for a picture

No bars, no real restaurants, no where to sit and enjoy, just a concrete "pen" ...you might as well be on a prison yard

Yes you can get to attractions ...if you pay to get there. It makes more of a monopoly on the tours for Royal cause the added drive time makes people more nervous to try independent tours.

Still we will see more threads..."Falmouth"" ..yes some have a good time here by paying to ride on bumpy roads and then get to Ochos where the other ships dock.

I don't see how docking so far away where there is really nothing makes for a good port.

As an example....what if they built a huge port for the big ships to dock at in Mexico.....hour and 1/2 away from Cozumel ....and made it just a facade hosting a flea market...no beach , no beach bars, and then you had to pay for transportation to Cozumel?? How woudl that be better than the "real thing"?

Want an answer....here it is....and others say the same....Falmouth is a joke

• 2 weeks later...

@Sunebeach - The zipline and kayaking look like loads of fun in some beautiful surroundings. Will have to check into that one next trip.

We thought the Falmouth area was one of the most beautiful on our trip. Yes, you do have to travel quite a bit to get to some of the well-known tourist traps on other parts of the island but there is plenty to see and do close by. If you want to get off the ship, by all means go ahead. Seriously doubt your day will be ruined. :rolleyes: Ask others what they are doing in port and maybe find a friend to buddy up with. If you want to stay on board, you will enjoy the scenery as you relax. So its a win-win situation if you choose to make it one.

Have a great trip. :)

Archived