Questions regarding On-Board Credit

Okie1946

I know this has been discussed elsewhere - but I can't seem to find the thread. We have 3 cruises behind us and on all of them, we have never had any experience with "on-board credit". A friend told us that he uses it all the time - that way he can pay in advance for most of what he calculates the cruise will cost.

I just wanted to verify that if we did purchase on board credit any laundry service, spa indulgences etc., the daily fee would all be covered under under this and the credit card that is on file would not be charged until the credit was completely used up. Am I understanding this correctly.

Thanks everyone for the help in advance.

Barbara

SMILE - :D - it will constantly confuse an oncoming frown.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I know this has been discussed elsewhere - but I can't seem to find the thread. We have 3 cruises behind us and on all of them, we have never had any experience with "on-board credit". A friend told us that he uses it all the time - that way he can pay in advance for most of what he calculates the cruise will cost.

I just wanted to verify that if we did purchase on board credit any laundry service, spa indulgences etc., the daily fee would all be covered under under this and the credit card that is on file would not be charged until the credit was completely used up. Am I understanding this correctly.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

You've got it:) The obc is used first. if you are buying it, like any purchase in advance bring your confirmation - once you see the gift notifications in your cabin - you can put your confirmations in the recycling bin:D

Love buying obc in advance - makes my life easy - especially if the exchange rate is good:D (We live in Canada)

Barbara

Hi Barbara. No experience with an onboard credit? :eek: You might want to look into buying a Future Cruise Deposit while on board - one of the benefits in purchasing a FCD is an onboard credit in an amount that varies depending on the length of your next cruise and accomodations booked. As an example, when we were on the Veendam last week, we purchased two FCD for 200USD. As a result, we have a 50USD per person on board credit applied to our next booking, and 200USD applied to the fare.

On board credits also apply to Carnival Cruise Line stockholders (although I'm not suggesting you buy the stock, it might be worth looking into if you cruise frequently on CCL ships). Sometimes travel agents offer on board credits. Of course, as as previously mentioned, you can also pre-pay on board charges. But free OBCs are a nice bonus ;):) Regards, -S.

Edited to add: any purchases you make will be charged to your credit card at the time of purchase, based on my experience.

As above posts note.... we usually have onboard credits from our booking through either our travel agent or from booking a future cruise while onboard (most recently, we got $100 per person OBC from a booking).

I also purchase onboard credits in advance, well before sailing date so that they are paid before we board. All OBCs appear at the top of your onboard account as a credit, so everything you charge is applied against them. To puchase, you just go to the HAL website, log in and it's under Indulgences, I think (could be wrong, but you'll find it:o)

If you know that you will be cruising on HAL within the next 4 years -- once on board you can buy deposits for future cruises. Each deposit costs $100 and you do not have to commit to a certain cruise at that time. The amount of shipboard credit that you get depends on the length of the cruise and cabin category that you book.

Shipboard Credit:

7 - 10 days:

Inside - $25 per person

Outside - $25 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC0 - $35 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $50 per person

11+ days:

Inside - $50 per person

Outside - $50 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $75 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $100 per person

Please Note:

This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupany will receive a single person portion. Ship board credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only.

This offer is not combinable with the World Cruise, Grand Voyages or segments thereof.

... and the credit card that is on file would not be charged until the credit was completely used up. Am I understanding this correctly.
There is no "used first" or "used last". At the end of the cruise you get a bill. If your on board charges exceed your OBCs, the balance goes on your credit card. If the OBCs are greater you get the difference back in cash.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

You are absolutely correct, that is how it works.

I really appreciate all of the quick responses and will be purchasing several on board credits on a weekly basis, until I think we will have more than enough built up.

The idea of not owing anything at the end of the cruise has such a wonderful sound.

Again, thank you for answering my questions so quickly.:)

SMILE - :D - it will completely confuse any oncoming frowns.

Previous Cruises:

There is no "used first" or "used last". At the end of the cruise you get a bill. If your on board charges exceed your OBCs, the balance goes on your credit card. If the OBCs are greater you get the difference back in cash.[/font]

Actually, there is a "used first" or "used last". If your OBC comes solely from HAL, ie FCC, Stock Credit etc, there will be no refund. If you have a combination of HAL Credits and purchased credits, the HAL Credits will be exhausted before the purchased credits kick in. Any amount remaining from the purchased credits will be returned.

BTW -- Credits from TA's may be either. One of the group perks is OBC which is non refundable.

Rich

The OP was asking about purchased OBCs.

True, but posts 3,4 and 5 mentioned other types of OBC. Your post did not differentiate. Someone could have gotten the idea that all credits were refundable.

Rich

Archived