Who's Your NCL Hero?

Happy HALer

I know I am probably going to be bashed about this one, however, John Ibrahim, Cruise Director. He was really funny and entertaining, however, rumor has it that he is no longer with NCL and may have been spotted with RCC. :eek:

John was the CD on our first cruise. We absolutely loved him and his energy! He truly set the tone for us - no other CD has come close!

Hotel Director, Sean

We had a couple of issues early in the cruise and Sean took care of our concerns and continued to follow up to make sure our cruise was as great as it could be. He is very visible and approachable. He is an asset to NCL.

We met Sean on our Star cruise in April. He was wonderful!

• 2 months later...
I know I am probably going to be bashed about this one, however, John Ibrahim, Cruise Director. He was really funny and entertaining, however, rumor has it that he is no longer with NCL and may have been spotted with RCC. :eek:

Interesting. We found him to be incredibly coarse and vulgar at inappropriate times.

A hero is someone who risks great danger to themselves for others. I have yet to come across any such situation on a cruise ship.

I'm assuming you realize that many words have multiple definitions, some wide ranging, and I'm pretty confident the OP realizes that and is looking to allow fellow CC'ers the opportunity to praise some of their favorite crew members.

That said, I'm sure there have been many acts of heroism performed on cruise ships all across the lines, but not the intent of this thread. One I can recall was the Captain of the Dawn on our cruise in May of 2004. He made the tough call to turn the ship around on our return home from a Florida/Bahamas cruise, when a one year old boy was having a severe asthma attack. We had passed Florida heading north, but we turned back so we could meet a medical helicopter which landed on the ship, and transported the youngster to land where we later found that he had survived, and on his way to recovery. The Captain and staff caught all kinds of grief from passengers that were impacted by the late return to NYC on what was Father's Day, as I recall we got back to port late afternoon. Not only were we late, but all those boarding were inconvenienced as well, though they had been given advance notice, and were well taken care of at the port with food and beverage while they waited for our return. That's my best story of true heroism, and trust you would agree.

===============================

he·ro (hîr)

n. pl. he·roes

1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.

2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

3. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.

4. The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

5. Chiefly New York City See submarine. See Regional Note at submarine.

================================

While on the subject, I'd like to comment back to the original question, and also note that I agree with Halos acknowledgement of many hotel directors, and the ones we feel most responsible for making sure our cruise lives up to our expectations. Our experience is they usually exceed expectations.

Klaus Lugmaier clearly is our #1 hero in that regard, though his supporting staff often appear to be mirror images of Klaus. We've been with Sean many times, as he has advanced from F & B manager to being a top of the line HD.

Our list of what we refer to as Super Stars include crew from all levels of staff, from Housekeeping to bar staff, cruise directors, maitre' D's, servers, Concierge, etc. I'll ditto the praise given above for Carlos Zarate, a different but effective style we experienced back on the Majesty. Unfortunately many of our favorites have moved on, including Laura Borut, Maitre' D, Mitzi Gardose, HK, and Analyn Ygot, HK. Bar Manager Jose Contreras, and a number of his staffers like Carmen But come to mind, and many great servers and even administrators like Rashida Faustino, and Bon Villaluz have been terriric. This list is endless, as we feel indebted to so many dedicated employees who provide us with outstanding service for 7 or 10 days, always in a courteous and professional manner, and with rare exception, always with a smile. Thank you NCL, your well trained staff keep us coming back.

Yes the NCL CEO is my hero.

After an issue with room capacity on the Gem last September. NCL put my family in two smaller rooms to compicate for the room issue. We went from a penthouse with all the perks to two mini suites with zero perks. Since we already paid we were stuck. My travel agent was absolutely useless. After a month of bak and forth with NCL we were told we were out of luck. So i emailed Mr. Sheehan, the next day we were upgraded. My family and i had the best vaation of our lives. I will always be greatful to him. Thank you Mr. Sheehan!

A hero is someone who risks great danger to themselves for others. I have yet to come across any such situation on a cruise ship.

Originally, I posted (#55, I think) that it would be easier to name someone who was not my hero. Since I have had some time today, I have had a chance to read the entire thread. An interesting read considering some of the pots/kettles. The above post had me thinking "outside of the box" so to speak.

We were on a recent Alaska cruise having lunch when the ship suddenly listed to port. One of those large storage carts started careening towards David. Richard Svardmark, Staff Captain, jumped up and stopped the cart in mid careen thus saving David from severe, if not life-threatening injury.

So, Richard, you are Our Vacation Hero. Thank you.

Cinci and David

• 2 months later...

I think my NCL hero is Ludwig Lozano also. Does anyone have a picture of him? He was in the Seven Seas most breakfasts and dinners for me and was just such a gentleman. I just finished a transatlantic on the Sun, and am suffering badly from cruise withdrawal. I had such a lovely 2 weeks!

I think my NCL hero is Ludwig Lozano also. Does anyone have a picture of him? He was in the Seven Seas most breakfasts and dinners for me and was just such a gentleman. I just finished a transatlantic on the Sun, and am suffering badly from cruise withdrawal. I had such a lovely 2 weeks!

Adrian. All I can say is awesome!!! Have our fingers crossed he will be with us on the Epic in Feb of 2013.

John O'Hare. Again. Outstanding a sad day for NCL when he left! He is a true leader, earned the respect of all around him.

Adrian. All I can say is awesome!!! Have our fingers crossed he will be with us on the Epic in Feb of 2013.

John O'Hare. Again. Outstanding a sad day for NCL when he left! He is a true leader, earned the respect of all around him.

Adrian is on The Epic as we speak and will be there until his vacation in May.

TCVLeelo, I agree with you! Ludwig is one in a million. We met him on his first cruise on the Sun in February and he was awesome. We had so much fun with him. I was back on the Sun in April and he became like family.

I have a couple of pictures but none by himself. There is also a picture on HeinBloed's blog of the Sun. It is on page 2 of the thread and the picture is near the beginning of his entries. It is a picture of a number of officers on the steps leading down the restaurant.

I can appreciate your cruise withdrawl, so sad to be missing everyone and life on the ship.

Other heros for me from the Sun were Nevendra - a server often on the pool deck during the day and in Dazzles at night. Wonderful guy, great smile and just added to the enjoyment of our cruise.

Annabelle - met her at East meets West on Day 1 and she is one of the lovliest young women we have met.

Perfecto - cabin steward was the happiest and friendliest we had ever had. These people helped to make our cruise great!

Bluejai

Best for me -

Lani (Butler), one of the best butlers I have had across multiple cruise lines. Did just about everything we needed to have, had breakfast every morning for us (and suggestions about what we should/should not do) and towel animals were the highlight for my son. I believe she is on the Jewel now, but I would almost take a cruise if I could guarantee her as a butler, which is how high I would rate her.

Maitre'd in Epic Club last year (Dec 2011). Filipino woman who was absolutely amazing in handling our allergies (gluten/dairy). Made sure meals were delivered in specialty restaurants where we were eating as well as when we were in Epic club. Name escapes me, but was professional to the highest level.

Adrian was a mixed bag for us. He's nice and professional but was of limited ability/use for us. I have used concierges from all levels and generally their usefulness to me is graded upon how they can do/find/execute something that I can't do myself easily or can't do period. Adrian wasn't able or willing to do those for us (and perhaps his hands are tied in such a way that he is basically more like a dedicated reservation agent than a concierge) so we have found it a bit lacking in that regard. But nothing personal as it might not be his fault or his ability - just not what we were expecting out of a real "concierge" if that makes sense.

• 8 months later...
Who is your NCL Hero and why? We filled out multiple "NCL Hero" cards at the end of our Star Bermuda cruise last week. We recognized the following;

Hotel Director, Sean

We had a couple of issues early in the cruise and Sean took care of our concerns and continued to follow up to make sure our cruise was as great as it could be. He is very visible and approachable. He is an asset to NCL.

Restaurant Manager, Kati

Kati went above and beyond to take care of us when I voiced our issue previously mentioned. He also followed up with us multiple times and made sure we had a great time.

Concierge, Monica

Monica was fantastic. That's all that needs to be said.

Maitre'd, Versailles, Alex

Alex always made sure we were happy and satisfied.

I know that is a lot of heroes, but it was that kind of cruise. I don't know if it is a matter of the sqeeky wheel getting all the oil, but everyone surpassed our expectations. This was the first time we ever complained about anything, and it was wonderful how well, and quickly, everything was remedied. The Star has a great staff and I think that is a reflection of the team leaders and especially the Hotel Director, Sean Wurmhoeringer.

Great job!!!

I second Sean!

And although I like Hugo a lot too, I feel Sean is more approachable.

I think all my Norwegian heroes are or were on the Star.

Kyle, one the best CD's.

Jeffrey from Philly...... excellent!

Yannis........excellent!

One of my best NCL cruises (yet) was on the Star's October 2012 Repo from NY to NOLA. Thanks to the officers and crew and to the fantastic cruise mates on board.

Archived