Two NCL cancellings for me....

teachnh

I had originally booked the Jewel from Florida for the last week of February 2013. Then I was told they were moving that ship and I was moved to the Pearl. Now today I was told that sailing has been cancelled due to a charter. Now I am searching for another cruise for us to go on. :eek: I am bound to that week because of school vacation. They offered me the same rate for other weeks but unfortunately we can't go any other week. So, I am looking at other sailings that are more money. For two cancellations in one booking we are only getting $50 back per stateroom. Just a little frustrated as we had really wanted that itinerary and it isn't offered that week by NCL. In the long run any vacation will be a good vacation, hopefully I won't have this third ship cancelled on me! What would be the odds? :)

Oh this really sucks.

Reality tells me this happens, it also tells me every line does it. But it still really bites. So sorry you had to deal with this and twice to boot.

Good luck on your 3rd booking.

that is too bad.

it sounds like a popular time for the charter business.

I like NCL, but they are a relatively small line. so once you eliminate a couple ships a given week, NVL options dwindle...other lines are nice, too. do any of them offer something that appeals to you the correct week?

We're in the same boat. Really messes up our arrangements and $100 OBC isn't enough compensation for the hassle.

Sorry you are not happy with your "compensation". It is probably more of a "sorry we messed with your cruise". Not that they really have to give you anything, but it's nice they offered you something IMO.

Curious though, is there really any amount that would be sufficient to all, for messing with one's vacation?

Not have to give her anything?!?

Well maybe contractually that's the case but good common sense or good will or good business?..... This customer booked one cruise in good faith and they cancel, she books another cruise and they do the same thing to her. It would seem only good business that they do a little more than $100!!

OP, I think you need to write this experience up in review format. Not on this bulletin board where the issue will get buried by next week. But under cruise reviews here on Cruise Critic. Where other cruisers are using the reviews to determine if NCL and these ships are a good choice. I would certainly think twice about risking that happening to me. February vacation is a big deal and lots of families cruise that week!

I wouldn't be happy if I book a cruise, turn around and book my airfare to find out twice the cruise is cancelled. It's not like you can just call the airline and get your money back so you can make other plans.

I think $500 or more would be fair. They need to make some effort to keep your business.

For two cancellations in one booking we are only getting $50 back per stateroom.

If your cruise is in Feb 2013, you should be well before final payment, shouldn't they have given you a full refund? Or do you mean a $50 OBC for your next cruise in addition to a refund?

I wouldn't be happy if I book a cruise, turn around and book my airfare to find out twice the cruise is cancelled. It's not like you can just call the airline and get your money back so you can make other plans.

This is why a lot of people get travel insurance. So that if you bought airfare, the insurance would pay the change fees or refund your payments.

Well maybe contractually that's the case but good common sense or good will or good business?.....

OP, I think you need to write this experience up in review format. Not on this bulletin board where the issue will get buried by next week. But under cruise reviews here on Cruise Critic. Where other cruisers are using the reviews to determine if NCL and these ships are a good choice. I would certainly think twice about risking that happening to me. February vacation is a big deal and lots of families cruise that week!

I think $500 or more would be fair. They need to make some effort to keep your business.

Pssst, the other cruise lines charter ships, too. Unfortunately, it can happen with any cruise line, so buying nonrefundable airline tickets super early may not be wise. buying insurance is wise. writing a review for a cruise untaken? probably pointless.

Well maybe contractually that's the case but good common sense or good will or good business?..... This customer booked one cruise in good faith and they cancel, she books another cruise and they do the same thing to her. It would seem only good business that they do a little more than $100!!

Yes I was speaking contracturally.

You sound surprised by this information for being a CC member for so long. Every cruise line does this, so trying to keep your business by losing that much money per customer for every ship they charter would be redundant, since if you move to another line because this happened, it could just as easily happen there too. Writing a review before you even sail, again IMO redundant. And I doubt the moderators would allow a review of a cruise that hasn't happened yet. Some people have a tough time getting their review published as it is.

I don't think anyone is "happy" when this happens and if you read my first post to the OP, I personally think it sucks big time. But it is reality and if I've learned nothing else from CC in my 2 1/2 years of being on here, it is good insurance can be invaluable and cruising is a vacation that requires lots of flexibility in planning.

I know what the charter is. It's the first time this particular group has ever chartered with NCL - twelve previous charters have been elsewhere - primarily Carnival. So it had to be a real competitive bid.

They stand to make a LOT of money off this charter, particularly if all goes well and the relationship continues.

This is why a lot of people get travel insurance. So that if you bought airfare, the insurance would pay the change fees or refund your payments.

My guess is that many insurences doesn't cover that! If everything is booked as a package from a TA, it's probably up to the TA to give all the money back and get some kind of compensation from the cruiseline.

OK. So where is the second cancellation? I'm reading one switched ship, having no significant impact, followed by a cancellation for a charter. Am I missing something? Sounds like one cancellation to me.

Stay with the facts if you're going to plead your case for a better outcome. Exaggerating will usually play against you because you come across as someone just out to get something. Think about how you respond to people trying to do the same thing on your job, they immediately lose credibility. Motivation to go out of the way to help is gone.

Otherwise, Sorry about the charter. I would be upset too. Hope it never happens to me. Unfortunately it happens on most lines and the complaints are similar on the other forums when it happens. Some obc, a future cruise credit, and/or limited credit for existing travel plans are pretty typical. One of the risks of booking so far out.

I would roll with the punches. Try to move to a different week or another cruise the same week. Then if there were additional expenses, I would document them and call with the facts and see if NCL had any flexibility to help with the additional costs as long as it was a comparable situation.

Stay with the facts if you're going to plead your case for a better outcome. Exaggerating will usually play against you because you come across as someone just out to get something. Think about how you respond to people trying to do the same thing on your job, they immediately lose credibility. Motivation to go out of the way to help is gone.

Well cancel may not be the technically correct word but let me explain why it is two disappointments. The first ship was a Nickelodeon ship. Having children we wanted to purposefully go on a ship that offered that plus we liked the itinerary. When they switched the boats on us the next ship didn't have Nickelodeon. I asked if they would offer the same rate I had booked on another Nick ship and they would not. So, we stuck with the itinerary that we liked. Now the itinerary is not available.

f your cruise is in Feb 2013, you should be well before final payment, shouldn't they have given you a full refund? Or do you mean a $50 OBC for your next cruise in addition to a refund?
That is correct I have not made final payment. The $50 is OBC per stateroom. But, every cruise offered that week is more than $50 in rate increase. I had locked the price in a long time ago for the orginal Jewel sailing. My TA is calling them today to see what else we might be able to do.

Sorry Pelenipsy you are in the same situation.

They are a business and they have every right to do this. I can still be disappointed! On the other hand, how they handle this for me will determine how I choose future cruises. :)

Curious though, is there really any amount that would be sufficient to all, for messing with one's vacation?

Good question and IMO definately "No". Sorry for the OP as this definately puts a damper on the whole cruise experience. Well, at least, the enjoyment of planning the cruise. Good Luck!

They are a business and they have every right to do this. I can still be disappointed! On the other hand, how they handle this for me will determine how I choose future cruises. :)

OP as I stated a few times, you definately are valid in your disappointment.

I'm not sure whether the above statement is on principal or thinking another cruise line may not do this to you.

Here are some posts about ships cancelled due to charters from other cruise line CC boards

Carnival

“They issued a refund immediately, but no help finding another cruise or any other compensation for a future cruise.”

Celebrity

“got the call that the ship had been chartered, so we were given the option of switching our reservation to 5 other dates, with a $100 onboard credit”

HAL

“We were notified 6 weeks ago that our August cruise on the Ryndam had been chartered and we no longer had a holiday, no sorry or apology. We have only found out now that they will refund the deposit or transfer to another cruise but we have to pay any extra for the other cruises and possibly the cost of reissuing the airfares. No compensation”

RCI

“They offered to price protect the cruise portion that was chartered if I would transfer to another date as well as offered me an OBC for my inconvenience. If I did not transfer my date they would just refund the money.”

“we were offered a couple of dates to choose from at the same rate....those dates didn't work so we booked another cruise at that days price and were given 100 Obc per cabin”

The only cruiseline that I found that doesn't seem to charter very much is Princess (there may be others, I just researched most the mainstream cruislines). So you may be wise to research before jumping ship for this reason. Or perhaps take a vacation that does not have such a high probability of changes.

I know what the charter is. It's the first time this particular group has ever chartered with NCL - twelve previous charters have been elsewhere - primarily Carnival. So it had to be a real competitive bid.

They stand to make a LOT of money off this charter, particularly if all goes well and the relationship continues.

Ewwww. I know a lot of individuals that are leaving CCL for NCL, but now whole, large groups???? :eek:

I hope NCL is planning on a couple new ships. With CCL going down the toilet and people bailing, it seems NCL may need to build the fleet up a bit.

Welcome to the club. We booked Jewel for a January 13th cruise. She was then chartered out and we were switched to Pearl. About a month ago that cruise was canceled for a charter, so we tried a January 20th sailing. Two days later that one was also chartered out. We had several people on our original roll call who'd already bought airline tickets (they'd gotten great deals with a fare sale).

I was caught up in this mess too, but in April on the Pearl. It seems like they are forcing all the charters onto the Pearl because they are now putting her into Dry Dock in April(reason my 2nd one was cancelled). They must expect the ship to get trashed with all these Music based cruises and want to contain the damage to one ship.

I would say call their special number and raise heck. I made a lot of noise(I had a group sailing scheduled) and managed to get them to be more accommodating than just the $50 per cabin credit.

When I checked the thread to see if the OP had found another cruise, I thought maybe I misread the original posting...

Now I am searching for another cruise for us to go on. :eek: I am bound to that week because of school vacation.

I interpret this to mean that the OP is looking for a different cruise.

Many years ago, I did not realize that Miami and Fort Lauderdale were so close and basically interchangeable. That is the reason I suggested that the OP check Fort Lauderdale departures for the same date.

If flights have already been booked, they should still be good for Fort Lauderdale.

Betty

Good question and IMO definately "No". Sorry for the OP as this definately puts a damper on the whole cruise experience. Well, at least, the enjoyment of planning the cruise. Good Luck!

I'm with you. I love sailing NCL but I'd be royally PO'd and $100 wouldn't cover the aggravation especially if I wound up having to book another line.

Archived