Avalon luggage restriction

mountainhouse

I was expecting weight requirements on Avalon to be similar to ocean-going cruises. We got our docs today, and it says, "Please makes sure your luggage does not exceed restriction of one (1) bag per person 50lb (22 kg) maximum." It works out fine for us, but seems like it would be a surprise to some people.

IMG1342-L.jpg

I thought the airline restriction was 50 lb.....we even have a hand held scale we use to make sure our bag is not over 50 lbs? At one time at the airport we had to transfer stuff from my husband's bag (get that...HIS was overweight)...to mine...and they told us the restriction was 50 lb.

The rest of the statement said, "Airlines may have other restrictions."

I posted this, since I thought I recall several people saying that taking luggage on a river cruise was about the same as an ocean going cruise. But this is quite a bit more restrictive. Is that maybe new, or is maybe commonly ignored?

We encountered NO weight restrictions of any kind on our Avalon cruise in March/April through Germany and Austria. Avalon did not weigh our suitcases at any point during the embarkation process, nor did they "count" the number of bags that each person had. We each had 2 bags apiece and all 4 of them fit very easily underneath the double bed in our cabin for storage, once they were unpacked and all our clothing was stored in the closets and drawers. Individual airlines may have varying weight restrictions on baggage - depending upon whether you fly economy or business class - but we were not in any way limited to a specific weight as far as Avalon or the cruise ship was concerned. Regards.

Avalon did not impose any restrictions on us during any of our trips with them, except not to allow anything but purses or day bags on the coaches they used to get us to the center of town or to the next destination.

We pack in a 24 inch rollaboard each or smaller so that would not be an issue for us anyway. And our bags slide easily under the beds for storage.

I just got off an Avalon cruise this past Sun. and there was no firm limitation by Avalon as to weight of bags. We were each provided 1 sturdy luggage tag for our main checked bag but had 2 tags to put cabin numbers on checked bag and carry on bag to be delivered to the ship once we had checked in with the rep at the hotel. I know what it says in their documents, but as many have mentioned, there was no weighing, etc.

The main limitation is really from the airlines. If you are a regular peon, with no elite status, airline credit card, etc, you are allowed 1 free checked bag, weighing no more than 50 pounds per person. If you check a 2nd bag, it costs $70 US on the outbound leg and 70 Euros on the homeward flight. Remember if you have any intra-Europe flights, their weight / size limitations are much stricter than what the carriers allow from the US to Europe or other destinations.

Hope this helps.

I just got off an Avalon cruise this past Sun. and there was no firm limitation by Avalon as to weight of bags. We were each provided 1 sturdy luggage tag for our main checked bag but had 2 tags to put cabin numbers on checked bag and carry on bag to be delivered to the ship once we had checked in with the rep at the hotel. I know what it says in their documents, but as many have mentioned, there was no weighing, etc.

Thanks. I guess it's just one of those things they put in the docs that is ignored. Good to know. As I said, it's not an issue for us. We're arriving in Basel by train, so we're traveling light.

Maybe this isn't enforced. :-/ Here's a copy of my docs. See bottom of page 3.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6yeC0g60jUuTXJXRW4zUGpVTEk

LHT28: Do your docs say the same? And.... BON VOYAGE!

I suspect it is for the airlines

we are sailing with Scenic

I think they want people just to have 1 bag for storage purposes

I cannot imagine taking more than 1 bag ..we do a month long cruise with 1 bag well under 50 lbs pp

Have a safe trip

Archived