Kindle and Wi-Fi on Mariner

kvisf

I would appreciate advice on how to connect to in-suite wi-fi on a Kindle (the black and white keyboard type, not the newer color Kindle Fire). This device has a bizarre and pretty lame excuse for a web browser, and as I recall, to access and log on to the wi-fi, you have to sign in on a web browser (it was no problem on my iPad last time aboard, but the Kindle is much better for reading in bright sunlight). Is there a password for the wi-fi system that can be entered in the Kindle's login (non-browser) screen?

Last time I had this issue with a hotel wi-fi system, it turned out the only solution was to go to the lobby area where there was an open (no password required) wi-fi signal, as the in-room wi-fi required a login password and the Kindle's wi-fi connection screen wouldn't accept or process the password used for connecting via a web browser.

In order to use wi-fi onborad you need to purchase a package of minutes from Regent (or pay by the minute). I have both the Kindle (for ease of reading like you mentioned) and Kindle Fire. Have been able to connect on board with the Kindle Fire but lose the connection too often (also happens with the iPad). I really don't think you will have much success on the Kindle. As long as you have to pay for minutes, suggest you use Regent's computers.

Thanks for sharing you experience, which seems to be as I feared; it's going to be difficult/impossible to connect with the Kindle. Since getting to Silver with Regent I have considered the free Internet to be the best benefit of the loyalty program, and have had pretty good success with the iPad, even managing a couple of decent FaceTime connections with grandkids while we were on a Black Sea cruise and they were in France.

It looks like I'll just have to make sure the Kindle is fully loaded with reading material before we embark.

With the log-in requirement in place, can I still use the wi-fi with my Android phone to make calls?

As in over skype or something similar? I was able to login with my laptop and droid device, however the speeds and connectivity make me yearn for the days of that super fast 2400 baud modem.

In 2011 on Mariner, FaceTime on an iPad over wi-fi worked fine -- the video wasn't perfectly smooth but was OK, so I imagine Skype on an Android device over wi-fi should work too.

With regards to how well the wifi/inet signal works the ships connection suffers the same issue as real estate: location, location, location. Generally the closer to the equator = more reliable connection/better speeds, the further you get the more your connection and throughput deteriorate.

In 2011 on Mariner, FaceTime on an iPad over wi-fi worked fine -- the video wasn't perfectly smooth but was OK, so I imagine Skype on an Android device over wi-fi should work too.

But can I log on to the ship's wi-fi from a phone?

My phone has it's own wi-fi calling app. I don't need Skype.

I am sitting at the pool bar on the Voyager as I type this reply. WiFi has worked quite well this trip in spite of our latitude (we are in Scotland).

I have also successfully connected with my iphone, but you may not do BOTH at the same time (one logon at per passenger). Also your connection will be dropped due to inactivity, so leaving it on expecting a phone call would not work.

As far as I know, they do not block any TCP ports (I have VPN'ed to my home servers and used various other apps). Don't expect good performance on more interactive applications (online games) due to the nature of satellite communication.

Archived