Enchantment of the Seas - 8 Day Bermuda/Northeast Trip Report 5/31/12

We did this cruise about two weeks prior to Hunwolf who posted the original review. I would say the review reflected some of our experiences as well. Getting an actual seat in the theater meant arriving 30 - 45 minutes ahead of the show. Now I know the time we cruised, the demographics of the ship had a lot to do with this. Before I'm flamed, let me say this was my retirement cruise. I'm still in somewhat of a work mode mentalitiy. I've not yet joined the group to be that early to get "my" seat! :cool:

One thing we noticed on the Enchantment that perhaps differed from Hunwolf was the service. Any time there was a misstep, it was corrected immediately. We ordered room service for breakfast most mornings since cereal and coffee are usual eating fare for us. One morning only one small pot was brought when two had been the norm. The server rather curtly told my hsuband he could call room service and request another pot. Not more than 10 minutes later there is a knock on our door; a different server appeared with another pot of coffee, and we had not called room service. We thought that was pretty exemplary service. Just an fyi...We were in a Deck 3 interior cabin, so it didn't have anything to do with being in one of the mega cabins.

Keith Williams came to our Meet and Mingle and did an awesome job. He took time to talk to everyone being extremely warm and personable. He led the raffle making it much more exciting than others we've attended. He is somewhat laid back. I often wonder if cruise directors have much berth in what they are allowed to offer on the ships. I rarely see any varying activities from ship to ship. Mostly, their job seems to be PR. Sort of the face of the company, if you will.

As far as excursions in Newport, we did the Colonial Walking Tour through the ship. It gave us a wealth of knowledge about the port. We loved it and our guide was most knowledgeable. We have no problem recommending this tour. We pretty much walked all over Newport. Late afternoon, we took a roundtrip bus ride from the Visitors Center for $2.We purchased tickets inside the center. It was almost 5:00 by this point and we were the last two to purchase tickets that day. The ride took us by the mansions, so we at least had a look-see at them, since time wasn't going to permit us to tour. It had begun to be rather warm, and after all of our walking across the city, the nice cool comfortable bus ride was more than welcomed!

Newport was our favorite port on this cruise with gorgeous sunny skies and pleasant temperatures. Bermuda welcomed us with two gray days of weather with one offering periods of spitting drizzle, and Boston just poured down rain on us! One other unusual event was our arrival at Bermuda was delayed about 3 hours. The captain received word that the Navy was doing operations with live ammo in our cruise path, so we had to go the "long" way. :eek: OK. Not a problem.

Would we readily do this cruise again? Hmm...if the price is right, perhaps. Did we have a great time, meet some great people, and enjoy the opportunity to relax and just be slugs? Absolutely!

Yes, afternoon tea is in the WJ and is listed in your daily activities of things to do. Also, never had a problem getting a seat in any of the lounges, theater and any of the shows we attended. You do not have to like tea, for the tea time, as there are other options as well. Lemonade, water, coffee. Again, it's just light snackage and fun things to try!

Archived