can u do a walk off on Oceania ?

hsmcruise

Ever since someone accidentally took my luggage when we got off a cruise,

I like to do what other lines call walk off. My last cruise on the RCL OAsis

We did it and it was easy. Is this available on Oceania ?

We each had one 22" roller case and walked off the Marina in Civitavecchia.

It went smoothly.

We walked off to a waiting driver and it literally took 5 minutes.

Our cases were small and easily handled and we were careful not to inconvenience anyone.

I would not try to do it with multiple bags or with anything larger than a carry-on.

If you do mean taking your luggage with you, yes you can ... as long as you can carry it!

We've never had the problem you describe but I can see where it could happen. Supposedly there is security in the baggage area but it doesn't seem to me that we've ever been asked to prove that the luggage we are taking with us is truly ours.

We usually take off our carry-on baggage (my computer bag among other things) but pick up our two main suitcases off-ship.

Mura

We've also done it with carry-ons and personal bags. Just indicate zero checked bags on your destination form and don't put your luggage out the night before. I might try it with a medium suitcase if I had no other bags to juggle, but you might have to wait for space on the elevator.

You said it was accidental; I can see that happening with similar luggage. Did you get yours back?

I also like to self-disembark since my luggage failed to come off the ship in Shanghai. I did get it back but it took 2 months and lots of form-filling-out. The biggest hassle with doing it yourself is getting on the ship's elevator. We have actually "tag teamed" the process wth one of us waiting with the bags while the other is going up and down with one bag at a time in order to fit in the elevator. It takes some patience but two people with 2 bags each will never get in at the same time on disembarkation day.

If you have never had a problem it would not seem worth the effort but if you HAVE had a problem it doesnt seem so bad.

-------------------

Helen

I have walked off with my luggage now probably 4-5 times and have never been targeted by customs. Luckily, the time someone took our luggage was in ft lauderdale and we had to exchange our luggage at jet blue and then go to the Delta terminal for our own flight. Luckily we had time, but walking in circles in the cruise luggage area trying to find our piece was stressful . I finally saw a piece that no one had claimed that looked like mine. I called the phone number on the bag and the person hadn't realized the mistake!

As far As the elevators, we take one up and then go down in the same elevator.

What goes up must come down!

Archived