Jones Act/Passenger Act Debarkation Question

Karynanne

My goodness...my original post sure has taken on lots of unique and varied perspectives and points of view. But after all...this is cruise critic, and that is what we want to see in this forum.

My original intent was to pose a question regarding the Jones Act and the Passenger Act. And my questions were answered. So...my problem is solved.

I am in no way whimpering and bemoaning the fact that we could not arrange a B2B. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things. We've changed our plans, and we're pleased with the decision.

• 2 months later...

Assuming that there actually is a San Diego to Hawaii one way cruise, yes. The B2B described is Vancouver to Hawaii, so it starts in a foreign port, PVSA is not an issue.

However, a San Diego one way to Hawaii can only exist if it also visits a defined distant foreign port. Closest one is Fanning Island. That leg is going to be much harder to find.

Assuming that there actually is a San Diego to Hawaii one way cruise, yes. The B2B described is Vancouver to Hawaii, so it starts in a foreign port, PVSA is not an issue.

However, a San Diego one way to Hawaii can only exist if it also visits a defined distant foreign port. Closest one is Fanning Island. That leg is going to be much harder to find.

So because it is one voyage, albeit with 2 booking numbers, because the voyage starts in Canada and ends in HI then it will be allowed?

There are a great many threads regarding the B2Bs on Celebrity Solstice next year, especially on the roll call. Two Brits have already been turned away from the Hawaii to Seattle B2B by Celebrity. Seems that some travel agent in England is selling this B2B deal and trying to convince Brits that it is legal. Celebrity not only has stated that it is illegal, but that the passenger is responsible for booking any illegal cruise (yes, it is in the small print!) and can be disembarked from the ship!.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692438&highlight=hawaii+ensenada, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1616806&page=10&highlight=hawaii+ensenada, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1685461&highlight=hawaii+ensenada and other threads

So cherylandtk advises it can be done and you are saying it cannot be done :confused:

What is the correct answer please? I don't think it can be but am wary of UK agent telling me it can be done! Once person at X UK has said yes and another person at X UK has said no.....

So cherylandtk advises it can be done and you are saying it cannot be done :confused:

What is the correct answer please?

There will never be a San Diego one way cruise to Hawaii as that in itself is an illegal cruise. If everyone was made to embark in Vancouver and no one could get on in San Diego then it would be legal.

The PSVA does not look at the legs of the cruise. They look at it as an entire cruise. If you get on the ship in Vancouver and off the ship in Hawaii, you are not boarding in the US, therefore the cruise is legal.

The PSVA states that you cannot embark in one US PORT and disembark in another US PORT without visiting a DISTANT foreign port in between.

Don't confuse the Solstice itinery with one that ends in Vancouver. The Solstice ends in Seattle which means a start and finish in US ports which is the issue for contravention of PSVA and no "Distant" foreign port.

What is the correct answer please? I don't think it can be but am wary of UK agent telling me it can be done! Once person at X UK has said yes and another person at X UK has said no.....

Let's try and straighten this up for you. Cheryl said it could be done...BUT there will never be a San Diego to Honolulu one way cruise. So no, it can't be done. What you could do, is take either Millennium or Century down From Vancouver to San Diego (Can't remember which is doing that run). Stay overnight in San Diego and then arrange a cruise transfer to Ensenada and board Solstice the next day to Honolulu. That is a perfectly legal cruise.

DH & I tried to book the B2B cruise on Solstice in May 2013 from Honolulu to Ensenada and then Ensenada to Seattle. Celebrity refused to make the booking, for the reasons listed above. Even after many questions/complaints from passengers about this itinerary, X is doing exactly the same in 2014.

My experience with the Pax Act....we boarded the ship in LA my GF wanted to get off in San Diego due to being sea sick...she paid $300 to disembark.

The $300 fine is if a cruise has to be ended abruptly due to unforeseen circumstances. One cannot agree to pay the fine in advance for the convenience of leaving a cruise early as there can be severe consequences for the cruise line if they knowingly allow someone to violate the PVSA (i.e. their ships can be banned from calling at U.S. ports for a period of time).

Archived