Help for a novice

I would appreciate some help.

I am about to take my first tentative step into the world of cruising and have noted from this forum that photographs seem to be an important

part of the experience. This has prompted me to think about upgrading from my old point & shoot - which I have never used much and is now completely usurped by my iphone camera.

I'm not planning on becoming a photgraphy hobbyist and so I've pretty much eliminated a DSLR but am bewildered by the choice of alternatives. In particular, I am struggling to understand the differences between:-

• Super Zoom
  • Compact System Camera
  • Bridge Cameras

If anyone has the patience to explain the differences, in simple language, to a novice, I'd be very grateful.

I would also appreciate any recommendations - in the up to £350 ($550) price range.

John

I would appreciate some help.

(snip page /)

I am struggling to understand the differences between:-

• Super Zoom
  • Compact System Camera
  • Bridge Cameras

If anyone has the patience to explain the differences, in simple language, to a novice, I'd be very grateful.

I would also appreciate any recommendations - in the up to £350 ($550) price range.

John

In addition to reviewing the discussions here, you may want to visit the forums and camera reviews over at dpreview.com

A Super Zoom camera [sometimes called a 'travel zoom'] is a small camera with a large zoom range [from slightly wide to extreme telephoto]. The Fuji F505 is a typical example.

Compact System Cameras [sometimes called EVIL - Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens] offer interchangeable lenses and through the lens viewing. The sensors are larger than on most digital cameras. Examples here include the Olympus Pen, Panasonic G series, Sony NEX and Nikon 1.

Bridge cameras have a zoom range like a super zoom, but are typically larger and styled to look more similar to SLR cameras. They will have eye level viewfinders, hot shoes for external flashes, and 'faster' lenses. The Fuji XS-1 and Panasonic FZ-150 [aka Leica VLux 3] are typical examples.

First decide which features are important to you. Deciding that will greatly reduce the choices.

Example, I have to have a viewfinder but still use a P/S, so that choice knocks out most P/S cameras.

LCD screen size, camera modes, type of battery you want to use, type of cards,etc.

If you use your phone camera alot you might want something with a touch screen. My wife uses a canon SD 3500 and loves it, all touch tech., very few buttons and fits in the pocket. Very high res lcd screen, so it works well in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

As a photographer for the past 40+ years, I swear by an Olympus E5 DSLR for most cruise photography BUT

I also carry a Canon S100 P&S to capture images when I don't have a bulky DSLR hanging around my neck. With 12 megapixel resolution, I can safely blow up prints to four feet width or zoom to just a tiny piece of the picture.

Beware of P&Ss with high zoom capability. Small cameras are really hard to keep perfectly still while taking zoomed images so you end up with a blurred image.

For highly zoomed images, both hands and arms must be firmly anchored. OK, you can mount the tiny camera on a four-pound tripod but you will attract some really strange looks from your fellow passengers.

With a high image resolution camera with 5X zoom, you can zoom the image when you print it and not worry about a blurry zoom when the image is taken.

If the camera fits in your pocket, it will be handy to photograph the incredible food on a cruise, art in the ships Art Gallery, beach bunnies, menus, etc.

Since I am pontificating, I recommend Adobe Lightroom to adjust any image to be museum-quality.

Beware of P&Ss with high zoom capability. Small cameras are really hard to keep perfectly still while taking zoomed images so you end up with a blurred image.

A superzoom would not be my first camera but it does have it's place.

There are several things you can easily do to reduce image blur -

1) Use the eye level viewfinder instead of holding the camera out at arms length

2) Use a self timer w a short delay so that you can press the shutter button and then brace yourself

3) If possible, lean the camera against something in addition to using the self timer

4) Use a chain pod. You can carry one of those in your pocket.

As I said, superzooms have their place and as long as you understand and get around their limitations, you can get pictures that you could not get with anything else except a dSLR with a very expensive long lens.

DON

I'd recommend the HX200V by Sony. I guess it would be considered a "bridge" camera, it's bigger than a compact and it's smaller and easier to learn/use than a DSLR. The going price on this side of The Pond is about $500.

I would not recommend Lightroom to a novice. There are plenty of easy to use editing software (Picasa, Windows Live Photo Gallery).

Most P&S cameras with long zoom have image stabilization. You do need to take time to allow the camera to focus when zoomed out.

Archived