Gem 6/2 Bahamas/Florida Anyone sick?

the28thfish

I was a little irked after experiencing food poisoning on my first cruise last week. I just wanted to describe and document my experience and also see if anyone else fell ill on this cruise.

On my second night, I quickly fell ill after eating in the Magenta dining room. The food was honestly lousy and I knew I would have regretted ordering Cod. Within an hour, I had to rush to the bathroom. Luckily I did not have a serious illness, but was uncomfortable until the next day. I walked by the Magenta the next day and noticed that the entrance was sealed to the top with a white tarp. For the rest of the cruise, the restaurant was closed off. I thought this was very strange and a coincidence, since I just happened to get sick the night prior to it being sealed up. I spoke to three different employees and each told me a different story-none of which were related to reported illnesses. I can't help but blame the restaurant, and would like to hear from anyone else.

Other than this experience, I really did enjoy the ship and the cruise in general.

For the rest of the cruise, the restaurant was closed off. I thought this was very strange and a coincidence, since I just happened to get sick the night prior to it being sealed up.
There was a tarp, but the restaurant remained open. They used a side door, not the main entrance.

I've had food poisoning, which started about 10 hours after eating. It lasted a good 24 hours, extreme vomiting/diahrea, worst stomach pain I ever had. DH has it, too. It felt different from a stomach virus (the pain...). Maybe the food just didn't agree with you?

I've had food poisoning, which started about 10 hours after eating. It lasted a good 24 hours, extreme vomiting/diahrea, worst stomach pain I ever had. DH has it, too. It felt different from a stomach virus (the pain...). Maybe the food just didn't agree with you?

Yeah, I typically get this far worse than what I experienced this past cruise. Luckily it wasn't severe. I had chills that night so that made me think that it was more than just a bad dish.

BTW, did you reported your sudden illness and/or ask for help from the ship's medical staff on your claim of food poisoning? What are symptoms or signs that confirmed your food poisoning? Amazing recovery in 24 hours ... good for you.

Acute symptoms varied and onset can be hours later after whatever you ate - whatever you consumed at breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea/snack time could be just as "guilty" in being responsible for it, i.e. egg products, raw vegetables and/or fruit (as in salad) or under-cooked meat, etc.

We always wash our hands with soap & running water before going to the dining room and use the hand sanitizer at the entrance, and I'm sure you did so ... ;)

I was a little irked after experiencing food poisoning on my first cruise last week. I just wanted to describe and document my experience and also see if anyone else fell ill on this cruise.

On my second night, I quickly fell ill after eating in the Magenta dining room. The food was honestly lousy and I knew I would have regretted ordering Cod. Within an hour, I had to rush to the bathroom. Luckily I did not have a serious illness, but was uncomfortable until the next day. I walked by the Magenta the next day and noticed that the entrance was sealed to the top with a white tarp. For the rest of the cruise, the restaurant was closed off. I thought this was very strange and a coincidence, since I just happened to get sick the night prior to it being sealed up. I spoke to three different employees and each told me a different story-none of which were related to reported illnesses. I can't help but blame the restaurant, and would like to hear from anyone else.

Other than this experience, I really did enjoy the ship and the cruise in general.

I am sorry to hear that you got ill while on your vacation. Being sick and vacation are not supposed to be in the same sentence. I am however, glad to hear that it was short-lived and seemed to pass.

When I get something like this, cruising or otherwise, I usually make sure that I have not eaten anything that will irritate my stomach. I have found that as I get older, my system seems to tolerate less and prefers more bland....boring! Could it have been butter, a cream sauce or anything like that? Were you in a port that day and was it hot? I know that when DH and I are in port during the day and then we get back on the ship to eat, we both usually end up uncomfortable for about 24 hours, that's why on port days we usually get room service, eat light and go to bed early.

Again, I am so sorry that you had this happen on your cruise, but I am glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

All seems fishy to me!

Usually when there is a breakout y'll find more posters singing from the same song sheet SORRY!

Nobody said "breakout", and I think you're honestly being a little hostile. If I made any accusation of a breakout, I wouldn't be asking around if anyone else had gotten sick.

I am sorry to hear that you got ill while on your vacation. Being sick and vacation are not supposed to be in the same sentence. I am however, glad to hear that it was short-lived and seemed to pass.

When I get something like this, cruising or otherwise, I usually make sure that I have not eaten anything that will irritate my stomach. I have found that as I get older, my system seems to tolerate less and prefers more bland....boring! Could it have been butter, a cream sauce or anything like that? Were you in a port that day and was it hot? I know that when DH and I are in port during the day and then we get back on the ship to eat, we both usually end up uncomfortable for about 24 hours, that's why on port days we usually get room service, eat light and go to bed early.

Again, I am so sorry that you had this happen on your cruise, but I am glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Oh man, has my system changed in the last few years. Never in the past have I had an issue with cream sauces, but this dish did have a creamy base to it, ironically. We were at sea on the second day and it was actually quite hot. The first few days of the cruise was in the mid 90's, but dropped once we reached Bahamas :P

Archived