Fire Drill

Marlster

If leaving Barcelona (embarkation port) isn't until 7PM, what time would the fire drill be? Will make a difference as to when to book the Polo Rest. that night, thanks.

Probably around 5 or 5:30..

Jancruz1

We just sailed on the Marina last month with embarkation in Barcelona. The ship departed at 8 pm and all on board was 5:15 with the fire drill at 5:30. It took half an hour or so. We had dinner reservations at 6:30 in Polo and it was not a problem at all. Since you leave an hour earlier than we did, I can only assume you could make a dinner reservation for any time and not have to worry.

If leaving Barcelona (embarkation port) isn't until 7PM, what time would the fire drill be? Will make a difference as to when to book the Polo Rest. that night, thanks.

I think you should email the captain with this question as nobody elae knows.

I think you should email the captain with this question as nobody elae knows.

LOL, it is true that nobody can say for certain when the Lifeboat Drill will be.

Past experience is usually a good barometer of such things, but the Costa accident has changed the landscape dramatically and passenger convenience is no longer the primary driver in the decision on when to hold the Drill.

If almost all of the passengers are checked in before the "Official All Aboard Time", then the drill will take place earlier, but laggards can cause a delay.

As there is no way to independently verify how and when your fellow passengers will arrive, I'd suggest making a later reservation, "just in case".

Since the Costa incident, Oceania is having their drill the day of departure..dinner starts at 6:30pm so in order not to interfere with dinner drill is almost always held between 5 and 5:30pm..

Jancruz1

Since the Costa incident, Oceania is having their drill the day of departure..dinner starts at 6:30pm so in order not to interfere with dinner drill is almost always held between 5 and 5:30pm..

Jancruz1

That's what I said........"almost" :p

OK, we're not sailing until 10 from Copenhagen. Is it likely that everyone will be on board by 5 or 6, so that is when the lifeboat drill is likely to be, or could it be later if some people have late flights? I can't imagine that they'll do the drill right before we leave (9PM) but I guess anything's possible, especially since some Icelandair flights (like ours) don't get in until the afternoon. Incidentally, on every cruise I've been on with Oceania, they have held the drill pre-departure - even before Costa's accident!

I think we'll be boarding around 12:30 or 1. Once we check in, I can go back off the ship if I want, right? Should I ask when I need to be back on for the drill, or what? I'm not aware of any official "on board" requirement, except perhaps the generic one hour prior to departure (or whatever it is, per Oceania's web site), but I wouldn't think they'd want me to miss the drill!

roothy123,

Last Nov in Venice we boarded about 1.00 pm on departure day and after unpacking we left the ship. As we were disembarking we were told we HAD to be onboard for the fire drill at 5.30 (if I remember right) even though we would not be sailing until 8 pm. This was different than before Costa.

Last October (before Costa) we left Civitavecchia at 10pm and the drill was held around 5pm. I wouldn't be surprised if not everybody was on board at that time. We had been staying in Rome pre-cruise and considered staying in town later, but decided to play it safe and were at the ship a little after 4pm.

If we were doing this cruise today, we'd make SURE that we were on the ship by 5pm at the latest.

Mura

Archived