Qatar, Egypt Air, or Turkish

iancal

We are planning a fall trip that will involve flying from Milan MXP-J'burg and then back from Capetown-Barcelona.

We are Star Alliance members. Flying Economy Class. Egypt Air is about the same price as Qatar but we would be changing planes in Cairo. We are somehow iffy about EgyptAir and changing in Cairo.

Turkish is about $90. more but we would get points-maybe as many as 11000 return each. We have flown Turkish before and we impressed.

Right now we are leaning towards Qatar.

Any comments, suggestions?

thanks

We are planning a fall trip that will involve flying from Milan MXP-J'burg and then back from Capetown-Barcelona.

We are Star Alliance members. Flying Economy Class. Egypt Air is about the same price as Qatar but we would be changing planes in Cairo. We are somehow iffy about EgyptAir and changing in Cairo.

Turkish is about $90. more but we would get points-maybe as many as 11000 return each. We have flown Turkish before and we impressed.

thanks

I wouldn't worry about EgyptAir or Cairo. Heck, I was in Cairo during all the issues last February, and I was safe. It was boring, but I was safe and never feared for my health. Just switching planes at the airport...you have nothing to worry about. However, while I've never flown EgyptAir, I've heard only so-so things about them.

Turkish - I've only flown them domestically in Turkey, but have been very impressed as well. I've heard great things about them long-haul, too.

Qatar - a couple coworkers have flown them and have been unimpressed, especially in Economy class. Just an average airline in Economy, from what I have been told.

I would fly Turkish and get the better airline and miles.

11,000 miles for $90 is less than 1c per mile, which by anybody's metric is excellent value. (If you want to buy miles the average cost is 2.5c/mi.) For that, and for the ease of changing planes at IST, I'd definitely go with TK.

Ignoring FF miles, I think Turkish is the clear choice of the three. Egyptian would be a rather distant second and Qatar in third. Just one person's opinion and my experience is mostly biz class for long haul flights.

thanks

I favor Qatar but I have not flown coach. Their business and first is truly spectacular. But most of the Middle East airlines are worlds above most other airlines. They have the money to spend on the best of the best and the nationals of most Middle Eastern countries have the money to spend on over the top experiences.

As Gardyloo posted, for $90 it would be foolish NOT to get all the miles and maybe any of the perks that come with those miles. I sure wouldn't be giving up those miles.

Take the Turkish Air flight!!!

FWIW I flew Egypt Air in 1988. It was open seating, pieces of the cabin roof were falling down and there were chickens in cages in the cabin that eventually were wandering free by the end of the flight.

I hope things have improved since then. Maybe someone else has a more recent experience for comparison; however I personally would go with any other option.

thanks

I have flown on Egypt Air and I have been through the Cairo airport twice. If you can avoid Egypt Air and Cairo, I suggest you do so. Also, you never when a local crisis may shut down the airport in Cairo.

Take Qatar Airways. Egyptair & Turkish are not in the same league.

I use Qatar regular into DXB, AUH & BOM. Even their economy is good with 34 inches seat pitch, excellent staff and decent catering.

Take Qatar Airways. Egyptair & Turkish are not in the same league.

I use Qatar regular into DXB, AUH & BOM. Even their economy is good with 34 inches seat pitch, excellent staff and decent catering.

As an example, Qatar uses the 77W between Doha and Johannesburg, which 32 to 34" pitch depending on your seat. Turkish uses the A332 between Istanbul and Johannesburg, which has 33" of seat pitch. So, the same...

Also, Milan to Jo'burg via Istanbul is 5676mi, whereas Milan to Jo'burg via Doha is 6611mi, so your butt is in the seat about 15% more. Qatar may (MAY) give you 3% more legroom, but your legs will be there 15% longer.

I still vote Turkish :)

...and speaking of catering............NO alcohol of any kind is available on EgyptAir, regardless of which class you are flying in, complimentary or for purchase. Don't know how important that is to you (but a glass of wine with dinner is always nice) or what the policy is on Qatar or Turkish.

...and speaking of catering............NO alcohol of any kind is available on EgyptAir, regardless of which class you are flying in, complimentary or for purchase. Don't know how important that is to you (but a glass of wine with dinner is always nice) or what the policy is on Qatar or Turkish.

Qatar and Turkish both have liquor

FWIW I flew Egypt Air in 1988. It was open seating' date=' pieces of the cabin roof were falling down and there were chickens in cages in the cabin that eventually were wandering free by the end of the flight.

I hope things have improved since then. Maybe someone else has a more recent experience for comparison; however I personally would go with any other option.[/quote']

===============================================

My wife and I flew EgyptAir from JNB to Cairo and back in 2000. Had no experience even remotely as bad as this. Just a normal flight. I remember we stopped in Harare on the way. Can't recall the return flight. Nothing special, nothing bad. As noted, no booze. Heard of people taking their own booze on board, but you may want to be discrete about consuming it. Haven't flown the other two airlines. South African Airways is in the Star Alliance and is good. That's not an option, at least not a feasible option, for you?

===============================================

My wife and I flew EgyptAir from JNB to Cairo and back in 2000. Had no experience even remotely as bad as this. Just a normal flight. I remember we stopped in Harare on the way. Can't recall the return flight. Nothing special, nothing bad. As noted, no booze. Heard of people taking their own booze on board, but you may want to be discrete about consuming it. Haven't flown the other two airlines. South African Airways is in the Star Alliance and is good. That's not an option, at least not a feasible option, for you?

Glad to hear that things have improved; however that particular travel experience is burned into my memory forever!

Just booked Qatar for Milan-J'burg and Turkish for Cape Town -Rome. Combination of price and points. We were afraid to wait any longer as the fares were rising a little.

We are confident about Turkish and a little aprehensive about Qatar.

Just booked Qatar for Milan-J'burg and Turkish for Cape Town -Rome. Combination of price and points. We were afraid to wait any longer as the fares were rising a little.

We are confident about Turkish and a little aprehensive about Qatar.

Don't know why you would be apprehensive about Qatar. One of the better airlines in the world. They were billing themselves as the world's only 6* airline (kind of like the Burj Al Arab) but got called on it by other airlines in the Gulf States, so now they are a 5* airline. Owned by the Qatar government, the richest country in the world on a per capita basis. The country is rich, the people are rich and they EXPECT world class service even in coach. Read some of the reviews. You will hardly find a bad one.

If you get a chance, take a look at the business class and first class suites. Truly spectacular. Enjoy!!!!

Archived