Martini Tastings

Definitely worth the money. $15 for 5 martinis is a bargain! We do 1 tasting per 2 people though so we share them & don't die. :p

I think the perfect attendance award varies from bartender to ship to bartender. I've had one where at one session we infused our own vodkas in little shakers & then came back the next day to pick it up for drinking. Another time they gave us a free martini for attending all sessions.

Six tastings on the Epic?! Think I have to look into a trip...

On Epic the bartender added an extra martini. His own concoction.

Last fall on the Jewel they gave a gift to everyone who attended all of the martini tastings. I forgot what it was. I didn't make it to one of them. I'm hoping to attend them all on the Star next week. They are a lot of fun. The ones held when it's not pool weather are attended better.

When I was on the Jewel and attending all the martini tastings, our gift was a free martini whenever we wanted it.

Definitely worth the money. $15 for 5 martinis is a bargain! We do 1 tasting per 2 people though so we share them & don't die. :p

I think the perfect attendance award varies from bartender to ship to bartender. I've had one where at one session we infused our own vodkas in little shakers & then came back the next day to pick it up for drinking. Another time they gave us a free martini for attending all sessions.

Six tastings on the Epic?! Think I have to look into a trip...

Yeppers - 13 days TA from Barcelona to Miami last October. We're repeating it this October!

Very well organized - they were held in the Shakers Bar. When you paid, they put a yellow sticker on your shouder.

Armado (excellent bartender) put groups of liquor bottles on the counter before the event started. We had fun going thru the long Martini menu guessing what we were going to have.

When it got underway, Armado would talk about each martini (using microphone) and two other bartenders would make up large jug/shaker with the liquors, etc and pour into lines of glasses to serve to us who were sitting in armchairs surrounding cocktail tables.

The martini tasting are different on each ship.

The martini tasting on the Pearl last November was excellent! Nice big tastings, and games and prizes. An extra martini tasting..... :D

The martini tasting on the Sun last month was low key, small tasting, (about a third of a drink), no games, no prizes, no extra martini.

Still at $15 + gratuities, it's a fun event. Go with friends or meet new friends..

The martini tasting are different on each ship.

The martini tasting on the Pearl last November was excellent! Nice big tastings, and games and prizes. An extra martini tasting..... :D

The martini tasting on the Sun last month was low key, small tasting, (about a third of a drink), no games, no prizes, no extra martini.

Still at $15 + gratuities, it's a fun event. Go with friends or meet new friends..

I guess it varies by bartender or itinerary. We have been on the Sun twice and the Martini Tasting was packed. We had four and five martinis with a chance to win prizes.

I think I just found my reason to book a TA someday! :D

[Warning: the term "martini tasting" should be classified as false advertising.

They are definitely "Martini Drinkings"]

Yes it was definitely martini drinking no little taste glass on the Epic. It was the best! Looking forward to showing up to one on the Pearl.

Yes it was definitely martini drinking no little taste glass on the Epic. It was the best! Looking forward to showing up to one on the Pearl.

You won't be disappointed with the Pearl Martini tasting......:p

It's the best....although I haven't been on the Epic.

Whenever we did the Martini tastings, Mojito tastings, Margarita tastings they were $15/pp. The people we met, bartender entertainment, and knowledge gained in mixology made it such fun. A great time was had by all! We always get there early so we can get a seat at the bar. I have never seen one cancelled.

I love Gin dirty martinis up in the Star Bar. I didn't even finish the sweet drinks at the tastings, but just had a 'taste'. I did enjoy the minty mojito and make those at home.

I love all of your responses! We have the martini mojo! I am enjoying reading about the tasting on all of the ships. I have to say, we played some fun games at the Jewel tastings. One game was the men against the women. We had to race and see who could move an olive from one glass to another with no hands, move the olive by sucking on a straw. I was laughing til tears in my eyes watching my husband after 2 martinis trying to move that little olive!:D

Yeppers - 13 days TA from Barcelona to Miami last October. We're repeating it this October!

Very well organized - they were held in the Shakers Bar. When you paid, they put a yellow sticker on your shouder.

Armado (excellent bartender) put groups of liquor bottles on the counter before the event started. We had fun going thru the long Martini menu guessing what we were going to have.

When it got underway, Armado would talk about each martini (using microphone) and two other bartenders would make up large jug/shaker with the liquors, etc and pour into lines of glasses to serve to us who were sitting in armchairs surrounding cocktail tables.

I will see you at the bar bluesea77. Mmmm martini :)

...Armado (excellent bartender) put groups of liquor bottles on the counter before the event started. We had fun going thru the long Martini menu guessing what we were going to have.

Armando deserves a picture in this thread. ;)

And some of his handiwork...

If you are lucky enough to sail with Armando, don't forget to ask him to make you his Sexy Alligator! Its been years since I've seen him, but I will always remember him as one of the BEST!

522094275_sexyalligator.jpg.45c3fa12e6ec4082fef0ebfa54ec334f.jpg

Does anyone know if the martinis are made with vodka or gin? Or does it vary based on which one they are making? Also, can anyone speak for whether or not the tasting on the Gem is as fun as it seems to be on the other ships?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the martinis are made with vodka or gin? Or does it vary based on which one they are making? Also, can anyone speak for whether or not the tasting on the Gem is as fun as it seems to be on the other ships?

Thanks!

As far as gin or vodka, vodka has always been the majority at tastings I've attended. Sometimes, the bartender will do 1 gin martini. They are pretty flexible and like to mix things up :rolleyes: so I had someone once request gin and the bartender complied by adding one for all of us and substitute another just for her.

As far as on different ships, it varies more depending upon the bartender and the crowd you get, but I have never been to a bad martini tasting. Some bartenders have more showmanship than others, but then some crowds are more gregarious. Go, you'll have a blast! :D

Thanks Mooder! Glad to hear they're vodka martinis (my preference). And I'll definitely be going...can't really pass up an opportunity to get 5 martinis for 15 bucks! :)

One note, the number of martinis can vary as well. 4 is the least I have ever had and I probably shouldn't say the most or I'll get a bartender in trouble. :D

Its all good! If there is one gin or another you don't like for some reason, feel free to do some trading with your fellow tasters. :cool:

So, the photo of the Armando tasting shows 3 martinis? How many martinis do you get (we are on Epic, if that matters)

:D I'd already killed off the "classic" gin martini he started with, and was waiting for my DW to show up and help me finish those 3...

On our cruise (Epic W. Med 2011) we had 4 (the pictured group :)) on the first sea day and 5 on the last sea day.

If you are lucky enough to sail with Armando, don't forget to ask him to make you his Sexy Alligator! Its been years since I've seen him, but I will always remember him as one of the BEST!

OMG..this drink looks AWESOME!!!

I had a martini in a sushi bar in Springfield, Missouri(of all places) a few years back.. it was red, then blue, then green and the best martini I've ever had.. sadly I have not yet found it's match.. this drink looks like it could compare tho!!

I love hearing all the tasting stories- I am so there on the Star in November! BF would really like the mojito one so I hope there is enough participation.

How are the Cosmopolitans on NCL in general? I know each bar tender has his/her own touch. Personally, I liked the cosmo's on Carnival better than Princess.

I remember my first crusie I ordered one to go. We went back to our cabin and it was full to the rim. I managed to walk-in heels- down 2 flights of stairs- on a moving ship(it was bad that night) and NOT spill a drop! One of the proudest moments of my life..tehe :D

Archived