Getting upgrades with Am Express Platinum

Another Cruise

We just booked a cruise on Ruby Princess using Am Ex Platinum. I have read the posts and printed out the steps outlined and sent this to my TA. We are booked in a mini suite AC. I know you have to have a full suite for the $300 credit, but we are suppossed to get a two category upgrade on any room in the same category (mini to mini etc.)which would be from AC to AA. I also know there are several posts stating you do not have to use Princess to book cruise and can use a TA and still get benefits. However, Princess is telling our TA that because we got a room with the Agency's group rate (we are not part of any group, just the rate they offer because they block so many rooms) that we can't get upgrade. Actually they are saying it would not be an upgrade anyway, just a credit for the price difference but we can't have it because of the TA's rates. Don't most agents have lower rates than direct with Princess? If you can book with a TA and still get benefits with the Platinum card, shouldn't we be able to get them? Our TA has done everything exactly as stated. American Express lists the benefits. Is it just the rep we got a Princess or does anyone know if this is correct?

The upgrade policy only applies to standard rates. Since you have a discounted rate via your TA, you are not eligible, regardless of how you booked it.

If a TA discounts in the form of commission rebates, you will still get the upgrade but group rates, some promotional rates, flash sales, etc are not eligible at all or for more limited benefits.

We just booked a cruise on Ruby Princess using Am Ex Platinum. I have read the posts and printed out the steps outlined and sent this to my TA. We are booked in a mini suite AC. I know you have to have a full suite for the $300 credit, but we are suppossed to get a two category upgrade on any room in the same category (mini to mini etc.)which would be from AC to AA. I also know there are several posts stating you do not have to use Princess to book cruise and can use a TA and still get benefits. However, Princess is telling our TA that because we got a room with the Agency's group rate (we are not part of any group, just the rate they offer because they block so many rooms) that we can't get upgrade. Actually they are saying it would not be an upgrade anyway, just a credit for the price difference but we can't have it because of the TA's rates. Don't most agents have lower rates than direct with Princess? If you can book with a TA and still get benefits with the Platinum card, shouldn't we be able to get them? Our TA has done everything exactly as stated. American Express lists the benefits. Is it just the rep we got a Princess or does anyone know if this is correct?

We just had a similar experience with Oceania. Because the TA is providing prepaid gratuities and shipboard credit as part of a "group" for the cruise, Oceania does not allow AMEX Platinum card benefits. Simply, put, Oceania representatives said you cannot combine benefits, but must choose either the TA's benefits or the Platinum Card benefits. To me, this negates the Platinum card benefits and I don't see why AMEX would enter into an agreement with Oceania as many would be receiving such benefits or amenities from their TA having a "group" on a cruise. Apparently, some other cruise lines do allow you to receive both forms of benefits/amenities. Alan

One of the most difficult things about cruising is the pricing aspect. Are the deals from the cruise line or from the TA? My solution has been to book directly with the cruise line thus I know what the deal was. Then I transfer to my TA who provides me with OBC. No left hand/ right hand switcheroo. Perhaps I could get a lower rate by letting the TA quote me a price, but there is no transparency. And I also might end up with less OBC so there would be a wash. Basically I get a price that I can live with and go from there. And since I cruise a lot with Celebrity I have to be careful because they limit the combining of OBC with their RCCL shareholder's benefit. With CCL stock there is less of a problem. This is perhaps the answer to the AMEX Platinum benefit combination problem.

There can be restrictions as to what benefits can combine with what benefits and some cruise lines are much stricter about combining benefits, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for instance are very strict and don't allow much to be combined in our experience. We have as a result sold our RCI stock and used it for a Princess cruise recently as the shareholder benefit was never able to be used with any type of promotion which became frustrating.

We have recently returned from a Princess cruise which was booked under a promo, one of those that has a non refundable deposit, and we had an sbc that came with that promo, another sbc that was a group promo and a shareholder sbc. We were also able to use the AMEX platinum two category upgrade for an AA mini suite at the AC price. The agency does need to get a tracking number from AMEX and call it to Princess for the price to be adjusted, and it could be that the particular promo you are booked under is not combinable, but if not, you should be able to determine which is the better deal and have the agency book you away from their group block if the AMEX platinum two category upgrade is a better deal, and you would also get the other AMEX benefits, a complimentary dinner in Sabatini's and a bottle of champagne. Obviously if the agency price is a better one for an AA or AC than you would get with the AMEX, then you have to decide. But I would certainly question it again.

An upgrade from a mini suite to a full suite is an upgrade. An upgrade from a mini to a higher priced mini is not a big deal IMO.

AX Platinum we tried some years ago and concluded it wasn't for us.

An upgrade from a mini suite to a full suite is an upgrade. An upgrade from a mini to a higher priced mini is not a big deal IMO.
I agree. The only difference between an AC and AA is location on Dolphin deck. An AA would be mid-ship, an AC would be either forward or aft. I much prefer aft locations so I wouldn't (and haven't) consider an AA an upgrade. An upgrade is only as good as it's perceived to be. If you tend to get sea-sick, then a mid-ship location would be better in which case, it would be an upgrade. But if you prefer to go to the buffet, Skywalkers, Adagio lounge, etc., then it's not in my opinion.

We just switched to AMEX-P four months ago so haven't cruised yet using the rewards. We have five cruises booked and all are suites but one. For the four day one we picked the AA cabin we wanted and then thought we'd have to pay the price of an AC but found out that cruises under 7 days DO NOT count for these perks. AND you can only get the perk once if doing a b2b. Even if you do a b2b2b2b you only get the perk once. I was not very happy to find that out.

We also get the free dinner as a perk with a suite so I'm not sure what will happen since both say they can only be used the first night.

Archived