4-Night Monarch of the Seas - Suite Life - Picture Review

We got ready for dinner. I wore my new nautical Lilly dress (I wore my seersucker pinstripe on the last night, but sadly, didn't take a picture). My hair was very windblown... but instead of really fixing it, I just stuck a headband on my head. It's vacation, right? :D

7375758196_092829e172_c.jpg

IMG_9986 by vshingl, on Flickr

Hey Victoria! I haven't had the time yet but look forward to reading this review as your Adventure review is what inspired me to write my current review of the Allure...check it out at the link in my signature! Hope you're having a nice summer break...I wish I still had those!!

Edited by terpfan101

Great review. I have always been interested in these 3/4 night affordable cruises. I have to ask though, what were your thoughts about activities on board, dining on board, etc, on a smaller ship with fewer choices. Also, did you notice the "party boat" atmosphere that people mention on the shorter cruises? I have never noticed it on the 4/5 night Caribbean cruises, but wasn't sure if the Bahamas cruises were different. Thanks!

Just jumping in...funny because we just booked Adventure a few weeks ago and just today I thought...oh, I remember LMM went on Adventure and had a review, I should check it out again now that we're booked. So I did and then just today, I notice your graduation cruise review.:D ( I do remember all the trauma drama over the group and the suite etc, etc from your other posts! )

So subscribing! Monarch was my first RCL cruise. She looks good, sad she's going:(. Congratulations to your sister. My girls are also close in age, and look alike enough that people often ask if they are twins...and think the shorter older one is the younger:rolleyes:. Like you and your sister, they are super close and do a lot together...part of why I enjoy your reviews!

So here's the funny thing...I could be your mom, age- wise, but I find I enjoy the reviews of the younger people better ( I guess we are pretty active!) I'm reading Terpfans now, ( great, BTW) and I find most of my "go to" reviews are from the younger set 20 and 30s. So it's not just the young people who are fans of your reviews (though, not to put to fine a point on it, any review with 18 yo's in bikinis is bound to be popular:rolleyes:) I think y'all ( is that how it's done?;)) have a fresh perspective and I prefer enthusiasm and action to curmudgeonly! I have been cruising long enough to have been admitted to some of the exclusive clubs you got to sample and frankly, DH and I can't be bothered, nothing is more dull to us than a bunch of old acting people sitting around with their freebie drinks thinking they are all that. As I often say, I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.:p

So loving your review, and will be asking you a few questions about Adventure and reviving your Christmas thread, because I have a few??s even though, we are doing the Aruba Curaçao itinerary.

Also, OT, but I have a WDW question. We are taking the girls there again ( been many , many times) and I was thinking about that dessert party. Did you find it was a good view? What time do you have to get there? We are also trying for reservations at that new Be Our Guest Beasts Castle, and I don't know if I can do both. Told my TA to grab any BOG time she can get for the day we will be there, because Ill be in the Galapagos at 180 and won't be able to book them myself. ( which is just killing me because I am a maniac planner and love doing this stuff!) TIA for any MK advice on that you have!

Can't wait for the rest!

Hey Victoria! I haven't had the time yet but look forward to reading this review as your Adventure review is what inspired me to write my current review of the Allure...check it out at the link in my signature! Hope you're having a nice summer break...I wish I still had those!!

Yay! Another awesome review to add to my reading list... you guys really like tempting me with the Allure/Oasis, don't you? :D

Great review. I have always been interested in these 3/4 night affordable cruises. I have to ask though, what were your thoughts about activities on board, dining on board, etc, on a smaller ship with fewer choices. Also, did you notice the "party boat" atmosphere that people mention on the shorter cruises? I have never noticed it on the 4/5 night Caribbean cruises, but wasn't sure if the Bahamas cruises were different. Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask that question to because I was there for the party! :D :D :D

I thought that cruise was short enough (and in port two days) that I really didn't miss out on all of the activities that the large ships have to offer. I wouldn't have had time for them, honestly. They still did my two favorite activites - Love and Marriage (which I actually missed - oops!) and Quest.

Dining - our wait staff was nice and friendly and always called me by name (maybe because I left my card on the table for soda), but we didn't really have a lot of time to connect with them on longer cruises. That's just something you have to sacrifice with a shorter cruise. The food, however, wasn't different in portion or quality (at least not that I noticed). Yet, there wasn't a lobster night, which really bummed a lot of people out.

Yes, there were a lot of drunk people. However, I think there are a lot of drunk people on most any cruises. I did notice the second night a woman passed out drunk on the pool deck (I had seen her in the club earlier and noticed she was really, really drunk) and the crew had to move her. I creeped the scenario, but I was afraid to get too close. Nassau, I heard we left some people in port. What do you expect when people don't have to be back onboard until 11:30 PM? And then the last night, there was a drunken male lover fight in the bar of the Circuit Lounge (their nighttime 'club').

So, yes, it's kind of a party boat - but that may or may not bother you. Honestly, if you aren't a night owl (most night owls are the party animals anyway, right?), you probably won't witness that many way-too-drunk people. The drunkens are where you would expect them - in the clubs, in the bars, wandering the pool deck in the wee hours of the night. And then they sleep in until noon or later, so they don't really bother you in the morning. That's my take of it.

Also, OT, but I have a WDW question. We are taking the girls there again ( been many , many times) and I was thinking about that dessert party. Did you find it was a good view? What time do you have to get there? We are also trying for reservations at that new Be Our Guest Beasts Castle, and I don't know if I can do both. Told my TA to grab any BOG time she can get for the day we will be there, because Ill be in the Galapagos at 180 and won't be able to book them myself. ( which is just killing me because I am a maniac planner and love doing this stuff!) TIA for any MK advice on that you have!

Can't wait for the rest!

Glad you enjoy my reviews!

If you want more pictures and review of the dessert party, I suggest checking out my WDW trip report.

The fireworks party is at Tomorrowland Terrace Cafe, which is an outdoor eating area underneath an awning.

Here's my review:

There were many dessert options here, and they were all delicious! We joked that we had just topped our desserts for the week (which we had!). I do recommend (a tip I read online) to get there about 45-30 minutes before the party actually starts (9:00, an hour before Wishes) because that's when a line starts forming. We were seated with our desserts, and there was still a long line of people waiting to get inside. Also, this party fills up fast, so book as soon as it opens in order to ensure a reservation, as well as a good seat. I had read that the sooner you book, the better your seat. I booked on the second day it was open, and we had a good table in the center on the second row, so I would say this is probably true. However, the front row of tables is all for 2-3 people, so you can't do any better than second row for a party of 4 or more. One bit of advice that I've read and will share here is that there aren't many tables for 2. However, if you are a party of 2, you can book a "phantom" child under 3 years, and it won't cost you any extra, but you can make a reservation. If you are booking it solely for a good view of the fireworks, you'd probably be just as well off fighting for a spot on Main Street. It honestly doesn't matter where your assigned seat is because people from the back tables planted themselves in front of the front tables, staking out spots, just as they do in the castle hub. Also, the view of the parade isn't very good. However, it was nice to have the relaxed atmosphere - I was just a bit disappointed that it was ruined as quickly as it was by some people who were insistent on securing a good spot. There was enough railing space for everyone, but planting themselves at the rail just set off bad vibes and ruined the party mood in my opinion.

Here is a thread that tracks the opening of the dessert party: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2699362# They typically open the dessert party 3-4 months in advance for booking, and it fills up quickly. The sooner you book, the better your seat (supposedly).

Here's our view from our table:

7178486763_c2bb348396_c.jpg

DSC_5438 by vshingl, on Flickr

And here was our view of the the castle from where we watched the fireworks (right in front of the dessert buffet area, most head-on view of the castle from the terrace:

7363858902_0611115c61_c.jpg

DSC_5489 by vshingl, on Flickr

It was a good view, but because it's at an angle, the fireworks didn't appear directly behind the castle, but to the right:

7366135718_c8ffd1c438_c.jpg

Wishes by vshingl, on Flickr

It's further from the castle than you'd think, but compared to other dine-with-Wishes locations (California Grill and Narcoosee's), this is definitely more "BANG BANG" and in my opinion the best view.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask that question to because I was there for the party! :D :D :D

Yes, there were a lot of drunk people. However, I think there are a lot of drunk people on most any cruises.

So, yes, it's kind of a party boat - but that may or may not bother you. Honestly, if you aren't a night owl (most night owls are the party animals anyway, right?), you probably won't witness that many way-too-drunk people. The drunkens are where you would expect them - in the clubs, in the bars, wandering the pool deck in the wee hours of the night. And then they sleep in until noon or later, so they don't really bother you in the morning. That's my take of it.

We were on the Monarch cruise at the same time as OP. I tend to hang out at Boleros because of the activities there. Over the years I could count the number of nasty drunks I've witnessed on one hand. Security or CD staff are always on top of it and getting them away from where they are annoying to others. The three night cruises tend to be worse because lots of folks that take them are doing it for a drunk get away. There appeared to be many young people who were recent college grads and they were very well behaved. I did see OP and her group doing the photo on the Centrum steps. A very nice group!

After straightening out the bed situation, my parents and I decided to go check out the Suite and Diamond Plus nightly event in the Viking Crown Lounge.

"If you're Diamond Plus and above.".

wow . that is rude. he is trying to imply that if you are not Diamond Plus then you are in the wrong place. wow. rude.

Glad you enjoy my reviews!

It's further from the castle than you'd think, but compared to other dine-with-Wishes locations (California Grill and Narcoosee's), this is definitely more "BANG BANG" and in my opinion the best view.

Thanks great review! I've never been to that site before, I'm on another DISney message board;) I think this last statement seals it for us, we are staying at the Bay Lake Towers, so we can check out the fireworks form there and avoid the crowds and extra expense!

Anyway back to your sisters crazy graduation party! Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks great review! I've never been to that site before, I'm on another DISney message board;) I think this last statement seals it for us, we are staying at the Bay Lake Towers, so we can check out the fireworks form there and avoid the crowds and extra expense!

Anyway back to your sisters crazy graduation party! Can't wait to hear more!

Ah, what a coincidence - I happen to be a member of that DISney board, too! Maybe you should check out my DISign thread (which, I will admit, I haven't caught up with requests since the vacation, yet)! MouseBuzz, however, is my tiny little Disney community - a very friendly hometown feeling over there. I have posted TRs on both sites in the past, but everyone on MB knows me and reads my reviews, while my DIS trip reports tend to get lost in the mass.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

If you aren't already you really should joing the official Disney Fan Club DisneyD23.

I like to call myself a Disney Brat (like a military Brat) because my mom worked for Disney for 10 years when I was kid (I am from Orlando) and so we could go to disney for Free all the time. Sometimes we just went for dinner. It was great as a kid, and really hard when she left the company. We still love going to disney, and you should definitely check out the resorts during Christmas time if you haven't do so already. That is the best time, because they are decorated so beautifully. The Beach and Yatch club is awesome, also love wilderness lodge and Animal Kingdom lodge as my top resorts probably.

As for football, yeah well that stung a little, but it was quickly forgetten when we became ACC Champs!

Ah, what a coincidence - I happen to be a member of that DISney board, too! Maybe you should check out my DISign thread (which, I will admit, I haven't caught up with requests since the vacation, yet)! MouseBuzz, however, is my tiny little Disney community - a very friendly hometown feeling over there. I have posted TRs on both sites in the past, but everyone on MB knows me and reads my reviews, while my DIS trip reports tend to get lost in the mass.

Will check that out...I had never heard of MB but, noticed how well you all seem to know each other. Yes, DIS is huge! I subscribe to a few threads for WDW planning, like the CR thread and the BOG watch, but mostly for the adventure travel trips boards. We are doing our Galapagos cruise with them. I will do my Ecuador trip report there, and maybe post it here under " other cruises", but I think that would be lost here, and not much interest in it.

Not sure if I will do our WDW trip as it is just 3 short days we are tacking onto the end of a visit to my parents who live on the west coast of FL. But maybe you've inspired me to do it!

As for football, yeah well that stung a little, but it was quickly forgetten when we became ACC Champs!

ACC Champs? Clemson is the ACC Championship team. Maybe you're thinking of a different year....

ACC Champs? Clemson is the ACC Championship team. Florida State is in the SEC... and LSU is the reigning SEC Championship team. Maybe you're thinking of a different year....

LOL...what? ;)

LOL...what? ;)

HAHA - I was going back to edit that. Hoped no one had caught my mistake. Drat! I was TOTALLY thinking of Florida. (My boyfriend would be so ashamed)

But yes, Clemson is the ACC Champion. Florida State didn't even make it to the championship. We played Virginia Tech.

HAHA - I was going back to edit that. Hoped no one had caught my mistake. Drat! I was TOTALLY thinking of Florida. (My boyfriend would be so ashamed)

But yes, Clemson is the ACC Champion. Florida State didn't even make it to the championship. We played Virginia Tech.

ha...ha...no problem. I graduated from NC State so that one caught my eye...:D

Enough with football, I just fired back at an incorrect statement with another incorrect statement. So I should just shut up before I make a bigger fool out of myself. (No one brings up the Orange Bowl!!! Is that understood? :D)

On to dinner -

My parents and I requested not to be seated with our large hometown party because, in all honesty, we were the misfits. I was the only older sibling - all of the other kids were at younger. While I did hang out with the 16-year-old girls a few times, I wasn't really interested in sitting at the "kids table" with the 12-year-olds.... but also would've felt a bit out of place at the "adult table," having the kids table right beside us. So we just went off on our own.

We were seated with a cute young family with three kids, 10, 8, and 3 (the 3-year-old was in childcare during dinner), and a mother and her daughter from Saint Kitts (the daughter attended school in New York City, and they were celebrating her mothers' 60th birthday).

Now, the graduates were seated upstairs in Claude's (everyone else was downstairs in Vincent's - perfect!). Chip and I had actually worked really hard to make sure that they were seated as far away from us as possible (which one set of parents was clearly upset about). Between dinner and dessert, my parents sent me to find them....

7379739770_dd0f138eb5_c.jpg

DSCN0046 by vshingl, on Flickr

7379739196_3e3dc0b2c2_c.jpg

DSCN0047 by vshingl, on Flickr

7379735764_1c94ec314a_c.jpg

DSCN0051 by vshingl, on Flickr

You might not believe this, but these girls can pack down food. When I got there, the girls informed me that their wait staff hated them because almost all of them ordered two entrees (one girl ordered three) - but they ate it all!

Blair had ordered three desserts -

7379728800_26f54a05fa_c.jpg

DSCN0056 by vshingl, on Flickr

7379728216_4cfe38014b_c.jpg

DSCN0057 by vshingl, on Flickr

The chef actually came out to see who was eating all of the food!!!

7379754388_be7b70ff0d_c.jpg

DSCN0059 by vshingl, on Flickr