4-Night Monarch of the Seas - Suite Life - Picture Review

SQUEEEEEZZZZZEEEE!!!!

7395458076_c0cd81dba4_c.jpg

DSCN0133 by vshingl, on Flickr

She never could buckle the middle strap. But the lifeguard didn't tell her she had to wear an adult vest.

7395454816_84e1622452_c.jpg

DSCN0135 by vshingl, on Flickr

7395454152_1c87e99c0c_c.jpg

DSCN0136 by vshingl, on Flickr

7395452938_272e5acb32_c.jpg

DSCN0139 by vshingl, on Flickr

7395452148_ba29e7823e_c.jpg

DSCN0140 by vshingl, on Flickr

7395448822_639cb86e8d_c.jpg

DSCN0145 by vshingl, on Flickr

My Thoughts on the Aquapark

Don't be bummed that it's only one hour because it's exhausting, and honestly, I don't think you'd want to be out there for more than an hour. There is a lifeguard who kayaks out to a wooden stand that overlooks the Aquapark, and he is constantly blowing his whistle and yelling at people. He will even yell at the parents outside of the Aquapark photographing their kids. Of course, how much authority does he really have on top of that stand? It would take him at least a minute to get down and kayak over to you - and by that time, it's kind of difficult to tell people apart, all wearing the red lifevest. Unless you wear a hat. He kept yelling at Rachel that she wasn't allowed to wear a hat, but that didn't stop her from wearing it. "No hat on the slide!" Rachel slides off. See?

One of the rules is no head-first. Bridgette went head-first first, and she got the whistle blown and yelled at. Then Liz went head first, and he blew the whistle and the entire park went silent as he fussed her out for going head-first a second time. "ONE MORE TIME, AND I WILL THROW YOU OUT!" (You get to go head-first three times?) Then Bridgette told the lifeguard that she was actually the one to go head-first earlier, and he just laughed. So, while he is really loud from the top of his stand, he doesn't seem to ever care enough to do anything beyond whistle-blowing and yelling.

That being said, if you want a quiet, relaxing day at the beach.... STAY AWAY FROM THE AQUAPARK!!! You will hear that whistle blowing the entire time!

Something to keep in mind is that it takes a lot of upper-body strength to get up on any of those floating slides or water trampolines. We have a water trampoline of our own on the lake, and I remember a lot of kids struggling to get up on it when we were little. It takes a lot of effort, and many kids can't do it by themselves. Heck, a lot of the girls were struggling getting onto some things (the round disk thing is difficult to get on - Rachel, Meredith, and I got up and were pulling everyone else up. Not only does it require a lot of upper body strength, but it's slippery and rotates). If your child cannot lift his or her own weight with their arms, they will not be able to get on many of the floating toys by themselves. I suggest sending the kids with Dad or someone who can either get onto the trampoline/slide first and physically pull them up, or be able to stay in the water and push them up.

Now, what the kids probably won't be able to do if they require help to climb onto things is the tall rock wall. The lifeguard stand is the closest to the rock wall, and he is constantly monitoring it, making sure that only one person is going up each side at a time. I actually think that if you give them the initial boost, they will be able to climb the wall because it's really just figuring out where to put your hands and feet - they can then use their legs to push themselves up. But it is rather scary-high. One little girl finally made it to the top, but was too scared to slide down. She sat up there for a little while as the lifeguard yelled at her to go. Ellen was already up on the other side and convinced her that they could slide down together (on opposite sides).

All in all, I'd say that the Aquapark is $15 worth of fun. Just make sure that your child is going to be able to get onto all of the equipment or go with him or her so that you can help.

7386697800_d19dfeebfb_c.jpg

DSC_5897 by vshingl, on Flickr

Just had a laugh after reading about your aqua park experience and the upper body strength that you need. I was 6 months pregnant and went to local lake with all the "toys." I tried getting up on a simple inflatable float that was large enough to hold several people - I couldn't do it with my pregnant belly in the way! It was HILARIOUS! I looked like a beached whale. Thankfully, after my family laughed at me, they helped me on it.

I'm loving your review, and I'm so jealous that you were able to go on Monarch! Monarch was cruises 1 and 2 for my husband and myself, and will always have a special place in our hearts. If we could get a great deal, we would take it in a heartbeat, just to be able to cruise her one more time before she leaves the fleet.

I love your photos and the little videos you've been posting, too. Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the next installment!

What a stupid review !

While I don't understand why you would take the time to read through and post on a "stupid review," (Normally when I find a review that doesn't fit my tastes, I just stop reading... maybe you didn't read my initial 'disclaimer' post?) you are entitled to your own opinion. However, unless you provide constructive criticism, there's really no value to your post.

Since you're only insulting my review, I'll let this post stay, but know that if you attack me personally or post anything rude about the individuals in my review, I will report you. Have a nice day - hope you find some reviews that are more to your liking! :)

*Edit: Oops, looks like someone has beaten me to the "report" button! Mods, feel free to delete this post.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Ignore the troll poster. Great review. I've read your other reviews too and they're fantastic. A good way for people to relive a ship they've been on. Plus it doesn't hurt to have more of us twenty-somethings on the boards.

Keep going!!:)

Loving your review! Me being from the north, the southern accent sticks out big time in your videos! :D

I reported the ignorant comment. I'm willing to bet I wasn't the only one though. :p

I enjoy your reviews. I think you post a good amount of pictures but they aren't overwhelming. I like that you don't post 50 photos of the exact same thing from different angles. :rolleyes: There was another review thread I saw recently where the poster appeared to post every single picture she took on the trip, and most were of her standing in front on some unidentifiable building. She was several pages in and hadn't left Venice yet. Not good at all. That's what links to Flickr are for :D I enjoy your pics, and since I'll be doing this same cruise next year they are really getting me in the mood for Coco Cay.

this is seriously one of the best trip reports of any kind I have ever read. I WAS planning on going to sleep early tonight, but little miss magic has foiled that plan, and I'm glad cause this is very informative while also funny and entertaining.

I may have to reserve a cruise now.

Excellent review! I'm finding that reading reviews are my favorite part of being on the forum.

Since we were on Monarch's 4-day ourselves not that long ago, we really enjoy Monarch reviews. It's like being back aboard that ship.

Thank you for allowing us to tag along on your vacation through your detailed and entertaining review. Your pictures and videos make it even more special. We really do feel as if we are back aboard Monarch as we read along.

And, if I may say so, you dealt with a silly and highly inaccurate trollish comment with poise and class. Nicely done.