Harsh .. Rude .. Responses for the Newbies

mc'smom

Why is it that when some new members to Cruise Critic ask questions, some more experienced cruise critics members come across so harsh ?

They come to these boards to inquire information on cruising, instead they almost get crucified. !

If you are going to reply to the post do so in a kind, matter of fact manner !

I recommended this site to several friends and 2 of them said they could not be bothered because of some of the replies they received..

Ok now that I have spoken my peace on this...

Happy sailling !

I, for one, am sorry you and your friends feel that way. I think 90% of the replies are helpful, honest comments. I see a few from time to time that aren't, but for the most part, I think CC members treat newbies with respect and try to be helpful. I've said several times that we were ALL newbies at one point.:)

I, for one, am sorry you and your friends feel that way. I think 90% of the replies are helpful, honest comments. I see a few from time to time that aren't, but for the most part, I think CC members treat newbies with respect and try to be helpful. I've said several times that we were ALL newbies at one point.:)

Cotton, she said it was because of Tef...

I will say this, before this thread goes into never neverland. I am fairly certain that Tef does not mean to be "nasty", he is actually quite helpful, but doesn't sugarcoat things, some people see that as rude, ... he answers "to the point", which alot of people like, alot of people don't... but that is his nature, and I can tell you he is quick and to the point in all the threads, even the group threads... Sure, we all say things that can be construed as rude, and sometimes it is... but one thing about a message board, these are people you don't know... I would never let a post by a person I don't know steer me away from getting valuable information. Use your ignore button!!! You can place ANY user on Ignore and then you won't see the posts from them... rather than leaving the site completely. For the most part, this is a great place... we all have our moments, but I don't think most people are here just to be rude and mean to people.

US newbies (speaking for myself only) do not disregard negative comments we appreciate them, but I thought this was a forum to get some questions answered but as I have noticed in some threads people use it as a chat session which is completely fine,, but for newbies cruising it really does not help .. I have seen a thread that they should start a chat line for Cruisers... I think that would be a great idea.. then all the chat between cruise buddies would be there and US the (wanting to know it all) lol would have some answers!!

P.S. Not that I do not enjoy the positive/negative I just dislike when a thread is moved because of that... and so far that is what I have experienced.

Threads are not moved because of "positive and negative" they are moved because the hosts deem them to be moving in a bad direction, or straying off topic. As far as "chat rooms", some of the threads end up getting off topic sometimes, but they usually stray back to the original question...

I have to agree with Cotton, most are helpful but some are real butt-heads ! We all start at the bottom but some tend to forget that. No matter what, this is still the best site available to expand your cruise-knowledge.

If I remember right....my first post was...1 :D

IMO - 99% of posts by newbies are answered with an excess of information. Newbies who come on and, in their first few posts, do nothing but bash Carnival get the negative responses.

Well what if i find it positive and the host finds it negative? "I am "%^&* outta luck I guess" And i have never seen the user name TEF used in the first post by "mc'smom"

Sorry Irish, it is in her other post.... sorry for the confusion!!!!

Our hosts here are wonderful and have been doing this for a while... they make very good judgement calls from what I have seen. If people are getting rude and nasty, time for the thread to go. If it is off topic, time to go, if there is anything they deem against the guidelines or rules, they get rid of it... they do a great job and I have not seen much that I thought was positive and the hosts thought was negative... threads that resort to people just being either mean, or taking it in another direction, serve no purpose. Just MHO... but again, the hosts have to address those issues

P.S. Not that I do not enjoy the positive/negative I just dislike when a thread is moved because of that... and so far that is what I have experienced.

Maybe you werent aware of this but when a thread is moved its still on the board. Try checking for the thread on the floataway lounge.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

US newbies (speaking for myself only) do not disregard negative comments we appreciate them, but I thought this was a forum to get some questions answered but as I have noticed in some threads people use it as a chat session which is completely fine,, but for newbies cruising it really does not help .. I have seen a thread that they should start a chat line for Cruisers... I think that would be a great idea.. then all the chat between cruise buddies would be there and US the (wanting to know it all) lol would have some answers!!QUOTE]

Sometimes there is a good reason for the mis-direction in a thread. It may start out with a good question but then heads off in an entirely different direction when someone takes offense at something said. To diffuse the anger in a thread like this, others will "Hijack" the thread just to lighten the mood a bit. Singing helps also...:D

This is a large public forum and like life in general bad days are represented here as everywhere else in sociaty. While some posters come across as harsh most of the time it is directness. Yes some people are abrupt but some people are abrupt in general. On a board of this size I am shocked at how truly civil and welcoming most posters are.

Singing helps also...:D

LOL. I think sometimes the "newbie" begins thinking some responses are directed at them, as it is "their post", and they get defensive, and then the mud comes out. Some of my best stored emails are delete posts.

I also agree that the worst comes out when a first time poster comes on and trashes their cruise experience, or are Richard Simmons fans.:eek:

Just FYI....If anybody sees a post where the poster is mean or rude or breaking some guideline.....just click the little triangle and we'll check it out....but don't get upset if we don't do anything about it....example.....One poster clicked the triangle awhile back and the reason for reporting the thread was "They are using foul curse words".....We checked it out and only saw things like darn, dang, and hell......so we left it.:rolleyes: ......Errrrrrbody Play Nice!;)

I also agree that the worst comes out when a first time poster comes on and trashes their cruise experience, or are Richard Simmons fans.:eek:

another one bites the dust..da dum...another one bites the dust :D

I love all posts here thx all for responding. (positive or negative... personal convos that the rest of US can not understand I think is silly JMHO_.. but some are harsh which I think the moderators should address!!! NOW I know about the triangle I will use it thks Host RAndy!

I love all posts here thx all for responding. (positive or negative... personal convos that the rest of US can not understand I think is silly JMHO_.. but some are harsh which I think the moderators should address!!! NOW I know about the triangle I will use it thks Host RAndy!

Irish, I think they do get rid of most of those... I have seen them drop like flies :D Although, if it does get back on track quickly, generally they will let it stay.

Most threads don't get off track and have personal conversations, that I have seen... and generally they are gone quickly, or the hosts will remind people to get back to the topic :D

Personally, I like Newbie's questions. It gives me a chance to show-off how much I know about cruises. LOL. :D

My only petpeeve is the question " Can I wear a nice shirt and slacks on Formal Night to eat in the dining room?" That was retorical and no responses are requested or desired. I really don't want to go down that rat hole again.:mad:

LOL. I think sometimes the "newbie" begins thinking some responses are directed at them, as it is "their post", and they get defensive, and then the mud comes out. Some of my best stored emails are delete posts.

Well I read you as a "disher of Richard Simmons" but hey your choice! right?

I did not come to this site to make my opinion be the WORD,, there are many,, opinions and it goes to show you that you have no lasting friendships (or maybe you do but from what i have seen from your posts I would say not) with your coments ,, but again I do appreciate them....

I just have a complaint about previous users thinking that NEWBIES think we deserve it all!! UMMM NO we do not we are first time cruisers as you once were ,,,So do not through the blame this way... Some may assume that but most do not... to me I found that offensive! 1st time cruisers are 10th class citizens thats how I feel on some of the boards!!!

A great tip I was given when I started using message boards was to just take some time and read threads. That allows you a chance to see how things flow. The great thing about this board is almost any question you can imagine have been asked and answered 20 different ways.

Trust me this is by far the most informative cruising board out there. On other boards you might ask a question and it will take days to get an answer, which may or may not even be accurate.

With a message board with 150,000 members its almost impossible to expect everyone to be nice and sweet with each reply. I cant think of any city of 150,000 where people are always nice and sweet.

Try to take the good and leave the bad.

Archived